Custom 4 way switch wiring help

mattmayhem

TDPRI Member
So I have this crazy dream of having a 4 way switch on my tele where three of the positions are standard (neck w/ vol & tone, neck + bridge w/ vol & tone, bridge w/ vol & tone), but the final position would be bridge pup straight to the output with no vol or tone in the circuit at all. I've spent a couple hours researching and brainstorming how this could be accomplished, but it seems like it may not be possible. Thought I'd post here in case some wiring genius can crack the puzzle before giving up on the idea tho. Thanks for any insight.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Check my work...

Normal-4-way-Switching2.png

EDIT: I think the pots will still have an effect.

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
A cleaner way would be to use a standard 3-way switch, but wire it through a DPDT push-pull switched pot. It looks totally stock, but pull the volume (or tone) up, and it sends the bridge pickup's full signal to the output jack.

Push-Pull-Blower-Switch-for-Tele.jpg

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
There was someone else that had something similar to this not too long ago.

Check out post #12 for the diagram I drew. Be sure and proofread it to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, but I went through it and it seems like it would work and do kind of what you're trying to do, only with a three way switch.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The top diagram is just another way to wire @Peegoo's circuit. When engaged, it overrides any blade switch setting, and you get Bridge, direct to jack, with no vol pot resistance in the circuit.

The second diagram is the same idea, except it respects the blade switch setting. You would get direct out, but using any combination of pickups that the blade allows.

Both have their uses.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.41.51 PM.png

Oh, and @Deaf Eddie is right, of course. You need another pole to do it on the blade switch.

mattmayhem

TDPRI Member
Thanks to everyone who weighed in. The push/pull knob is a great, discrete solution that didn't even occur to me.