Curt Mangan Strings are Great!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Feb 26, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I've used a lot of string brands. I get comfortable with them for a while and then something happens and I try something else. Quality has been an issue as well as consistency. It is annoying.

I was going to try the Snake Oil strings but they must be folklore or something :lol: because the website doesn't even exist anymore. So, I gave Curt Mangan a call and recently tried both the nickel wound and pure nickel sets. Wow! Great stuff. Well made strings, the tension is just right where I like it, and they sound really good. I'm hooked!

I know there are tons of threads about guitar strings and who is using what, but I just wanted to say that I am very exited about them. Great product.

Wayne

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

love 'em, they are the only strings i use.

3. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Absoluetly the best in my opinion!

Slap 11s pure nickels, the Red pack ones, on a Tele, into a Matchless. And your in twang central station!

My store don't have them now. So it's D'addarios for now......... But when they bring it back I'm buying a box of 11s. I can't settle for 3rd best.

Just to add, I still remember the first time I used the pure nickels. It made my Tele sing with a clear, well trained voice. Like Celine Dion.

4. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

^^^ Yikes, If my tele sounds like C.D. I'm returning the strings!! Not a selling point for me.

5. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Hahaha she's not working for you huh.

Jennifer Nettles then?

6. plusorminuszero

plusorminuszero TDPRI Member

One week ago I noted on a now 'closed' thread that I've had some Mangan (Fusion Matched) 11's and that his plains, they tend to break fast, right at the saddle (telecaster 50's hardened plated barrels). The post was removed, interestingly.

I had bought 5 plain 11's, since D'ads were out of stock. To update, four identical instruments have been strung up for two weeks, and they sound and play fine. One snapped within minutes. I only replaced the 11 strings with the Mangans.

I find it's a good idea to apply a minuscule amount of acrylate to the windings on plain D'ads. I have seen them unwind, over time. The D'Addarios do seem to last a long time, but they may unwind, after several months. I haven't seen any Mangan's unwind themselves, as I haven't had enough experience with any one string lasting more than a few weeks. I am keeping track of time, via this entry, and my data will be valid. Admins: please don't delete.

7. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love Curt Magnan strings.

I bought bulk sets of nickel 11s (44) with a wound G.

I've got six sets left.

His strings are the best I've found so far. SITs are second.

I bought a set of EB titaniums to see what those are about. I might try that set on the tele to see how the higher output works with the single coils.

8. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

I really like the phosphor-bronze acoustic strings. Much more full sounding than the D'addarios and Martins I'd used previously, and they seem to last a very long time for me without much tarnishing.

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Boy, this is an old thread.
    I've used Mangan strings for years, since being turned onto them at my local mom and pop. Love 'em.

10. plusorminuszero

Just snapped the second of 4 Mangan 11's. It broke at saddle, 1960 barrel fine threaded style. I estimate about four hours of practice time, using fingers, on a short scale instrument.

As usual, string stayed in tune once broken in.

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I've been using Mangan Pure Nickels for years and can't remember breaking a string.

12. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I know you guys have been hearing my complaint about pickups for years, and I feel the same way about strings.

How many different ways can someone wrap a piece of wire around another piece of wire?

Things may have changed, but there used to be 4 or 5 companies that made strings and 50 or 60 companies that made string labels and packages.

And what about unwound strings?

How many different ways can someone wrap the end of a plain string around a little brass barrel?

Is Mangan buying some secret alloy that only they know about?

13. plusorminuszero

Snapped another one last night, on my main player, same place, right atop the hard plain tele saddle, from a 57. These are short scale guitars. The 11's are B strings for my set up. Maybe the Mangans can't handle loose tension set ups?

I saved the string remnants so I can examine the split. As usual, to the naked eye, it makes a sharp point on each end. I have a microscope I can use to help determine the flaw in metallurgy. This is complete nonsense. I have the same D'Addario 9's in place from the last couple of months, and they aren't breaking. The sales pitch that 'they're all the same' whenever I am handed Mangans is wearing thin. I am not pimping for D'Addario. Just saying…I am always happy when I walk home carrying D'Addarios.

Estimated time of use (Mangan .011") is no more than 5 hours in this experiment. Out of five new strings, three are gone in less than two weeks and I barely practice.

14. bigbean

D'addarrio is the biggest manufacturer. Fender, Martin and Ernie Ball make almost all of their own strings.

There are many re-labelers.

There are also several small winders of strings.

Mangan is a small winder.

So is SIT.

When SIT was on Broadway in Akron I showed up during business hours with a polite attitude and they took me through the factory (about 10-15 employees) I saw from winding to packaging how they made strings. They've moved to Romig rd in Akron and I don't know if they still offer to show their place or not.

If you haven't seen how they make strings and you want to learn about it go someplace that does it and check them out.

I have also been to a factory where they make cable and wire products at high speed. I worked there for a day as a contractor. I don't recommend it as a destination. Very noisy, dirty and dangerous.

If there was only one right string for one right guitar for everybody there wouldn't be any need to discuss it.

Peace

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  15. plusorminuszero

I think it's in the way the strings are fused, actually. Probably a ***** to control the fusion process. But something's not right. I do play near the bridge, and never use picks. I'm gentle. Maybe Mangan's just don't like the way the string vibrates, being struck so near the bridge? Even the forensics are radically different from D'Addario-the broken bits are as if shattered on the Mangans. That's why I say it's the fusioning that's suspect.

I would so love to tour a string manufacturing plant.

16. bigbean

GHS is another big primary winder of strings. They sell to Walmart for cryin out loud.

If you want to see something. The next time you open a major high speed winders variety of strings when they come out of the package, wipe the brand new wound string down with a WD40 soaked paper towel.

Ewwwe!

You mean this is a new string?

Then try the same thing with a Curt Mangan or an SIT or any other wound string that is made slow speed. You'll find not nearly so much black residual junk left over from the winding process.

By the way, I didn't come up with this idea. I read it in an interview of one of Eric Clapton's guitar techs a couple of years ago.

I think that after twenty hours of playing any set of strings is significantly degraded. So if a set is bothering you they shouldn't bother you for long.

17. plusorminuszero

update: The Mangan's are hanging in there. These remaining 11 singles have taken a fair amount of play since I only have 2 instead of 5 to reach for now. In the span since last report, I lost one D'Addario 9 which has been in place since March or so.

18. plusorminuszero

I think it was on Tuesday, Sept. 8, when another .011" Mangan B string snapped, after many hours of somewhat spirited practice. I was about to put the instrument away when I began to play some classical style flourishes in the Spanish style when it hit me. Sometimes you are aware, you can hear it, just before it snaps. The small strand with the brass end hit my neck and face. Now it was time to find the small sharp remnant.

After a visual inspection of the patio, I got the big magnet to expedite the task.

A man becomes what a man does. If a man wants to crawl around on the patio studying dirt and insects and weeds, collecting rust, while looking through his clothes and hair for a virtual syringe with a small brass end, using a powerful magnet, six times more often than necessary, then that's what he is.

It doesn't matter who set the task. It must be done.

Imagine paying someone to do this….

So basically I only expect the B string to let go, because a) I am out, and b) because they are Curt Mangans. No other strings have snapped or I have, or would have mentioned it. If I lose a .009", as happens every 6 weeks or so, it's no big thing because I have half a dozen in reserve from last time I bought.

I am down to two playable guitars, equipped with the ancient D'Addarios and the recently acquired Mangan B (.011"). All my other guitars lean on the door and look at me with 4, or 5 strings, with the windings so blown on the G that you cannot bend. As soon as I get a strike, I'll find some normal 11's in bulk. I run through wound G's pretty quickly (D'Addario) but it's only because D'Addario uses slightly smaller cores than some other brands such as GHS, hence their trademark feel. Can't fault the G for letting go, because it is a small one, only .018". They have to choose between wrap diameter or core diameter and imo they split the balance well.

Mangan's are OK. Just have a few backup guitars around if this is what you do for survival. Show must go on.

But I'd rather have strings I don't have to think about, any time, any where.

Eta another wound G snapped, just to be objective in data collection.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  19. plusorminuszero

Right after last entry I lost another worn out G, this one with three brass spacers, so it's been around some. If you use spacers to reposition the worn spots, they sound good right to the end.

This leaves me with two guitars with the magic Mangan's 11, and all but one wound G string lost, meaning, last guitar.

At the store I found an oddity…a Black Diamond Silver Plated wound .018 which measures .019, with a .010 core (same as the D'Addario wound 18) and with a loop end. It settled in nice. It is so bright that it seems higher on the board, to the eye. The envelope looks antique.

I also got a sealed-in-plastic-D'Addario 11 that felt bent in the package but wasn't, so this means I have two guitars and am content. Does the family still manufacture their own envelopes?

'One' means that a broke string might mean a broke mood, eh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.