Cursing in public?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

When I am in the shop, fixing cars, colorful language lubracates the work, and yoiu can be sure that when I broke my hand by hitting it with a 24oz ball peen hammer a rainbow of colorful words poured forthe. If I am in the studio doing massage, my choice of words is very different, but even then if the clients misbehaves enough, he will get an earful.

My sister informed me that Heck was for people that did not believe in Gosh

2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

my drummer son who is 21 is in a band named "Eskimo Duck Party".

I wrote Duck, but you'all can substitute the "D" with a "F",...

Now, I don't care but I think if you're going use "Duck" in a band's name, it should mean something.

Like a band name a buddy came up with, it's,..

Tourettes,.. f##@!

3. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

+1 Well said

"cursing is a public announcement of stupidity" Jerry Clowers

IMHO of course! ;)

4. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

Its also very cultural.

Here in Quebec, all the french swear words are to do with the objects in the church, "Tabernac," (the tabernacle); "Challis" (the chalis) etc. and its not even that people here take religion that seriously anymore -- Its quite funny to my ears but to some Francophones, its as bad as saying F*@k.

When I'm in Japan, some of the worst things you can say to anyone are "Teme," "Omae" but the literal translation of those is just like calling someone "you" in a very familiar, disrespectful way that is completely offensive in Japanese. I wouldn't recommend saying it to anyone unless you want to provoke a fight.

5. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

Simple..... As far as I am concerned, a slur reveals a persons intolorance much faster than a string of "ignorant" cuss words.

Just my opinion. So "F" it up if you want to add a little color to your language when appropriate ,but leave the hate out of it.:)

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

F***in' rights, man. I hate those f***in' racist a**holes.

7. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Is it intolorant to be intolorant of intolorance?

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for the chuckle, Celeste.
    Practice moderation in everything.....even intolerance???? I can't tolerate intolerance, either! (;^)

By the way...what is intolorance? I know what intolerance is, but intolorance is a new word for me. I can't tolerate it when I don't know the meaning of a word! Makes me want to cuss or something like that! DRATS! SHoot! DAng!

THis thread reminds me of my 7th grade ENglish teacher, Mrs. Blackmon.
    ONE day she gave us a short lecture on the weakness of vulgarity. I suppose she had overheard someone use one of those words that she could not tolerate. She came to the point where she was actually going to use the word to shock us into some sort of realization of the severity of the problem. She said: "I can't stand to hear someone say 'bull'!" What a sweet lady she was. I can only hope that that was the worst foul language that she ever heard.
    Her second biggest pet peeve was spelling errors. She couldn't tolerate that, either.

9. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

"Don't try to get by the word censor by using #@%$!^ instead of swear words. That's stupid and rude. If you must swear then go post somewhere else where that kind of thing is KEWL."

Just a friendly little reminder. ;)

10. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i rarely curse...so when i do people know im serious and get wide-eyed and concerned..the people i work with that throw around all those mono-syllabic, percussive expletives freely don't get the attention that mine get...to me cursing is something to be used rarely..in fact i dont think i should curse at all but its hard not to when youre frustrated yknow...the older i get the less i curse...dont know why just something ive noticed..

11. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Swear words are just sounds. Just words. Nothing to get your knickers in a twist about. We just decided...randomly...that certain words are bad.

I'm indifferent to it (you have to be living in Ireland...) but I do try to avoid using words which might offend anyone within hearing. Right or wrong, logical or illogical...it's still how they were raised, so I try to find non-offensive substitutes.
    There are plenty of them.

12. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

This can be expected in a world where semantic training is neglected in a fundamental education.

13. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Well, apparently, only adults are allowed....

JD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.