Cursing in public?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

we had a cuss jar in the house when my boy was about 8, I was trying to discipline myself too.

My friend Derek came over and in no time we made a couple of bucks! His Scots background tripped him up.

Next time he came, he walked over to the jar and stuffed a 5-dollar bill in it, and said "can I talk normal, now?"

2. chet

chet Banned

It's really not that common an occurrence in my neighborhood at least. Most people just shut up and pay for thier stuff quietly. :lol:

I have run into a few women that insist on talking like that in other NJ townships I lived in.

3. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

There's a difference in cursing to impress or intimidate others, and cursing as a showing of real emotions. You can usually tell who are the drips that do it just for the effect it has on others. If you're smart, you won't give them any attention and they will go away after awhile.

4. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I am a big fan of swearing, but obviously there is a time and a place for it.

My own time and place for it is usually at the most inappropriate time for maximum effect.
    I don't like it when people swear for no reason, almost as a type of 'profane comma' in their speech.

Real swearing is when you can use a particular cuss word as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb all within the same sentence.
    It requires a lot of planning and a degree of madness.

5. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

BINGO! :lol:

6. Bonehaid

Bonehaid TDPRI Member

In the oilpatch of Texas mother is half a word---

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I tell my students that swearing is like farting. If you do it when there are other people around, you're going to offend someone.
    Frankly, there are people who care if they offend someone and people who don't. It doesn't matter if being offended by words makes sense or not. What matters is whether or not we care how our actions affect others. If we are considerate of others, then we refrain from swearing in public.

8. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

I have a friend who has lost his sense for appropriate language. He was never in an environment where he had to temper his language, and now swearing is just part of how he communicates. I work at a university, and he came by one day because we were going to a concert closeby. He started talking and I had to stop him and tell him watch his language - I felt like a parent or something. It was a regular office environment and he was "F*ckin' this and f*ckin' that," in full voice, and this was in the context of a normal conversation, like where we were going to eat before the concert. We're both in our late 40s. It was kind of sad that he doesn't have that filter anymore, or never developed it in the first place.

9. LaExpatriot

LaExpatriot Tele-Meister

THis is a common occurence for me. I normally keep the cussing to a minimum around my daughter for sure. My wife says when I get together with friends I lose the filter.

For $%#@ sake I don't do it in public though.

10. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Bravo to you sir!

I say my share of cuss words to myself but never in public. I was just taught that.

I also grew up in an era where "grown-ups" kept us in line. It didn't have to be your parent. It could be anyone. Glad you stepped up to the plate.

I hear more and more people my age using the "F" word like it's normal in front of anyone.

11. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

IMO, excessive or loud cursing in public is in bad taste. It makes the person look ignorant in that they don't know how to better express themselves. In extereme cases, it makes the person look mentally unstable.

A little cursing in private is no big deal.

12. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

I've been a professional cusser since being around 8.

I really love swearing, it's like a spice in a well prepared meal. Too much, and it overpowers the dish, too little and the conversation is just bland.

I really like it when people swear when it calls for it, and can't stand it when people are totally clueless to its appropriateness. This could go both ways. Sometimes, pussyfooting around a topic that just needs a good cussword is just as offending to me.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Cuss words are short and sharp an due to that they are very expressive. You can bite down on them and it feels good as you spit them out. However, they have more power if you save them for the times when being expressive is necessary. Now flipping someone the bird.....

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I sometimes cuss when I play the guitar :neutral:

15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Curse words are just words, nothing to get bent out of shape or judgemental about. I would much rather hear someone drop the F-bomb in an appropriate spot than hear some one going on and on about "synergy, paradigm shifts and transcending the partisan....blah...blah...blah" That sort of talk is truly offensive to me.

On a personal note, I was once nearly killed in front of a large crowd of onlookers and press and after I got out of the hospital, I was reading the accounts and one reporter wrote "Mr.Bones called out in pain and collapsed on the sand...." I asked one of my team members what I said and she told me if I had died, my last words would have been 'oh,F%$#!'. Mom would have been so proud. :)

16. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Words are a reflection of ones heart.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Deeds are.

18. Michael Murphy

Michael Murphy Tele-Afflicted

I gave it up sometime back in the early '90s.

I decided it didn't enhance my life one iota, and if anything lowered my credibility in general. Not to mention I wasn't being a good role model for my kids.

I probably have cursed less than half a dozen times after about the first week after I made the decision.

Didn't need it, don't miss it.

I'm a much more socially acceptable animal these days...

-Michael
    Charter Member S. Texas He-Man Emoticon Haters Local #316

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Are those the only two options when it comes to public conversation?

The main point of Chet's original post had to do with inappropriate swearing. You say that you don't mind hearing an F-bomb in an appropriate spot. That implies that there is an IN-appropriate spot. Although, this would seem in contradiction of your idea that they are just words, do you not agree that there are places and times when the F-bomb should be avoided?
    Here's a common use of swearing:
    F***, man. That f***ing movie was awesome. I loved the f***ing special effects. And when that f***ing alien blew up? Man, that f***ing rocked.
    Yeah, dude, but what the f*** was with that b**** in the weird f***ing uniform? Her huge t*** should have been more uncovered.

So, would you be okay with that conversation happening in the lineup at McDonald's with your young child standing beside you? Would it be okay if you were in a movie theatre to see the latest Harry Potter film? Would it be okay at the senior's picnic? How about sitting in church? At a funeral? In the post office? In the dentist's waiting room where other people are sitting? Surely you have some standards?

20. BentheMighty

BentheMighty Tele-Meister

I cuss a ton around friends, but watch myself in public. When I'm out eating and stuff or at a movie I'll not cuss. But one thing though. When I get into it with someone I can use more descriptive, vulgar, demeaning, and demoralizing language and vocabulary without one cuss word that will make that person hate themselves.

Really, you don't have to cuss to be vicious and vulgar if someone is deserving of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.