Cursing in public?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. chet

chet Banned

I don't think there's anyone I've ever met or worked with for any amount of time that hasn't cursed at least once and most do it quite often. Maybe that's a fact of life these days. Most of the time they keep it to thier inner circles though.

Last night there was a woman (notice I didn't say lady) who was talking to someone on her cell phone as we were in line at a local convenience store. She kept cussing very loudly as she was paying for her items. I just grinned a little as I stepped up after her. :rolleyes:

Kinda irritating...

2. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

@%#@#@#$*&()($##@!!

3. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Well there's different ypes of cursing. If I stub my toe I don't care where I am I'm gonna curse dammit! :lol:

4. chet

chet Banned

As long as people do it where I'm not at they can do it all they want. :mad:

:)

5. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

My wife thinks I swear a lot.

Then she meets some of the people that I have to deal with on a daily basis and I look like a choir boy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

When I was in college, I had a good friend who cussed like a sailor. Never bothered me either way, but one day I noticed he had suddenly stopped cussing.

When I asked him about it he said that he promised his mother he would give up cussing. To enforce discipline on himself, he had a jar he carried around in his bookbag. Everytime he would cuss, he would put a quarter in the jar.

He reached into his bookbag and withdrew a glass jar that was about half full with quarters. He jingled the jar in his hand to illustrate his point. There was probably at least $30 in quarters in there.

He then explained, "Tell you what man, I've been doing pretty good, but driving in morning rush hour traffic eats up all my F**K'N lunch money!" He then rolled his eyes, reached into his pocket, and dug out a quarter and put it in the jar... :oops: :lol:

I dunno if I managed to convey the jist of the story correctly, but it seemed pretty funny to me at the time. He was a good guy, and he did eventually give up cussing. I never made a promise to my mama, but my friend and his jar of quarters helped me realize I didn't need to cuss anymore either.

7. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

People have no manners or courtesy anymore. It's one thing to slam your thumb with a hammer and say something, but just to be talking normally in public it's uncalled for.

To me it shows a lack of courtesy, disrespect, and even greater lack of a vocabulary.

8. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

I've said before that when I worked in manufacturing, I cursed like a sailor. F this and F that every other word, almost literally.

But even then, never in mixed company (sorry if thats "old fashioned" or "sexist" but, "oh well") and never in public. It was just something that I turned on and off, really without thinking about it.

Now-and-days, I don't curse much at all. Really only those exceptions where you smack your thumb with a hammer or are especially frustrated with something. I expect the same consideration from my kids.

9. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's about being mindful of what you're doing and saying. The more mindful I am, the less I swear, even if I am not focused on controlling my use or "foul language"

10. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I curse every once in a while, mostly when I'm driving, but I NEVER curse in front of my mom.....unless I want a slap to the back of the head.

CC

11. chet

chet Banned

Guilty as charged. I try not to burden others with my foul mouth on those occasions as much as possible. :lol:

12. radioguy

radioguy TDPRI Member

I watch what I say in public, even so, some will be offended by "rough" language.

I was hurrying a bit on my way with mop,bucket and caution cone in my store. The manager asked "what's up". I replied "some kid just barfed in aisle 5". One woman customer who heard laughed out loud, another thought my language was horrendous.

13. Dr.TeleD

Dr.TeleD Banned

Wife dropped me off by the entrace to Buffalo Wild Wings so I could put our name in on the waiting list. Came in the door right behind a late 20ish couple. Mind you this is FAMILY dining. Well the dude sees the wait line and blurts out, "Well just !@#$ me in the @#$. I just gave his female partner the "you got a real winner, there" look.
    Then to top it all off, the old lady I knocked down beating her to the door had some choice words too.:rolleyes: Just kidding about the old lady.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cussing shows no respect.
    There are times when no respect needs to be shown.

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

For me, it's not a matter of being offended by any type of cursing, I've said it all, and still frequently do. That's a sarcastic accusation used by people who curse indiscriminately, "Oh you're offended by my words, so sorry, it's a free country, and you have a closed mind."

I get really tired of hearing people curse in public for no good reason. It's like typing everything in caps all the time, after a while it ceases to have any meaningful impact, the person just sounds like some kind of teenaged moron. They're usually too dull to realize that their cursing has lost its desired effect.

16. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

Language evolves. It isn't static. Today's "bad words" are tomorrow's legitimate words. Or even yesterday's legitimate words.

Most "curse words" or "cuss words" or "swear words" revolve around three concepts:

1) Bodily functions (excrement etc.)
    2) Sexuality
    3) Offending one of the gods

If one person conveys a meaning to another verbally, it is a legitimate word. The power elite decides what are "polite" ways of communicating. And it always corresponds to the terms they already use, not the word a marginalized group uses for the same thing.

17. DocG

DocG Tele-Holic

Cursing loses its impact when it's overused. If I swear, people who know me know that I'm seriously PO'd. Mostly I use it to get Teenage Son's attention.

From Lou and Peter Berryman's excellent song, "A Chat with Your Mother" :

18. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Tele-Meister

Well, feces. Intercourse you, by Jove!

(Did I cover all the bases?)

:D

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Note to Chet: You live in jersey amigo. hello.

20. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

At dinner at Panera Bread with my 3.5 Yo and wife a few weeks ago I had to get up and ask a young kid at the table next to us to tone down his side of a cell phone call that was one long string of profanity and one racial slur in particular.

He was very surprised at first but then apologetic and quickly left.

After our meal, my kid wanted a cookie so I headed back to the counter top be waited on by same kid. Really akward moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.