Current thoughts on Squier Standard Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by DRFP, Jun 1, 2014.

1. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Thinking of putting one in my Christmas Stoking this coming year

I read these : CONS: Needs A Lot Of Set-up, with low scores, they claim to be "Professionals" but I think they are full of it........ I always have to set up my guitars to my playing so if this is the major deal with these then its nothing.

Looking at Blonde and this one ( no affiliation)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSSRBlnd

229 free shipping seems pretty good :rolleyes:

So what do you think of them? Quality? Standard is that they are the same as the MIM standards? Right?

Attached Files:

2. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

I've got the same one. Bought it in 2009 and it is a nice playing and sounding guitar. The setup wasn't to bad out of the box, but it did have a little fret sprout. The only mods I've done over the years is a Tusk nut and replaced the jack with a Switchcraft.

3. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

So you liked the sound of the pickups?

I thinking of it because I have a Modern Player and a Blacktop HH

So........ this would be different

4. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Very vintage sounding to my ears. The necks are great on these, I actually like it better than the neck on my VM 50's tele.

Oberhaz likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've owned a crapload of these. IMO very close to a Standard MIM. My only beef with them is they hold price pretty well used so I can usually get a used MIM for $25-50 more than a Squier. Not really a beef with the guitar though. I just wish they'd offer other colors. That baby crap yellow/green is awful.

6. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Ya Lonn, I gotta agree with you on the color. I hope the newer ones have a better blond color. The main reason I bought mine was it looked just like my 1966 Tele that I had when I was 14 and sold in 1976 when I quit playing.

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have one I bought new some years ago. I was blown away when I first played it - great setup right off the wall. Bridge pickup was touted as overwound, and they weren't kidding. Mud city! A used set of Fender OVs ($50 on E-Bay) cured that forever.

It's a great player, as good as any guitar I've owned in 40 years, and with the OVs it sounds just right.

Oberhaz likes this.
  8. Ironbird

Ironbird Tele-Holic

I had a body off one of those for my first Tele, a Partscaster. It was resonant, so I think Agathis isn't such a terrible 'tone wood' as many make them out to be.

Apart from that, I can't contribute much else, sorry!

9. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I bought one of those a month or so ago. Vintage white just like the picture. A little setup and some fret end filing and it's just a great guitar., Been thinking of replacing the bridge pickup, but may or may not. My Peavey Classic 50 loves this guitar.

Wife wants me to buy an Epi ES-339 next, but I'm thinking another Squier Tele (maybe the Sunburst one) to "Esquire" instead.

10. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Wrong, they are not the same as a MIM Standard, but still a pretty good guitar. I'd junk the pots and 3 way switch first thing, drop in a pre-wired MIM unit, at the very least the 3 way switch, you might get by with the pots for a while. The pickups are ok not great, I'd upgrade pdq.... overall the quality is good , neck feels and plays good, however I'd consider replacing the tuners eventually if not sooner. Pretty good guitar out of the box, but these few upgrades should make it a keeper.

Oberhaz likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Good suggestions but I should also point out that for around $250-$300 you could buy a used MIM Standard and save yourself the time and expense of these upgrades.

If you spend $229 on the Squier by the time you end up putting in a new switch and pots you'll have spent over $250 and after a new set of pickups you're up to $300 or more. In fact you can find used Squier CVs for $250 as well that won't require any of those upgrades and you may like it better than an MIM.

Just a few more things to think about.

12. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I have owned a CV Squier Thinline, A Squire Affinity and still own a Squire standard.
    I still have my Standard. It's a keeper. I put a humbucker in the bridge as a test though and did a full neck setup. I kept it that way. It's all about the neck and the sound. I DO like that neck.
    I don't remember what pots or switch is in it but they work just fine.
    I'd take the Standard over the CV. The build quality on the CV wasn't bad. It was a beautiful guitar. The bridge pickup died in the first week. The nut was soft plastic. The jack cup loosened off within a couple weeks as well.The neck moved more than any other guitar I have ever owned leading me to believe it was somewhat green wood or something. Then it got to twisting. SOLD.
    The Standard is a good guitar in my opinion.

Oberhaz likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Wrong, none of those "upgrades" are necessary, purely preferential. I've played all varieties of Squiers and their "cheap" parts for years with zero issues. Nearly grabbed this exact guitar yesterday at my local GC for $149 mint. Fortunately they also had a Tom Delonge Strat with hard case for $249.

14. SoundDesign

SoundDesign TDPRI Member

I think it's easy to get caught up in the upgrade trap. There seem to be people here with larger and very fluid collections. Guitars come in and out of their lives and they're very level-headed about it.

I think it's more common though for people to buy a guitar, bring it home and there's an almost immediate shift in thinking that takes place. This isn't a guitar anymore, it's my guitar now. That can easily influence all sorts of decisions.

I went to the store to buy a BS Affinity, did a bit of quick math on what I thought I might do to it and "logically" bought the BSB CV50 instead. Then I got that home and soon had wilkinson saddles and an electrosocket in it. Since then I've "put down the pipe" and just focused on playing the darned thing.

15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Frankly I bought the Squier Standard Tele because it was the only way I could see to get a Tele with a rosewood fretboard and 22 frets without spending major $$$. I don't play maple. Besides it's a great guitar and has become my #1.

Oberhaz likes this.
  16. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

A fret job, which is often needed on these, is $100 round these parts. Really pay attention to the frets when you play test it. Some of these can just shred your fingers. The CV series has a great fret job but comes in a tad higher in price.

17. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Just bought it today after a lot of reading and thinking
    Reasons:
    good reviews
    decent PUPs
    Rosewood 60's neck
    color

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1401940796.976391.jpg

18. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

From many reviews most do not agree that any of this is needed, I'll see how I feel after I get it.
    I heard one on youtube played stock and it sounded great.

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have a few squires and also agree that upgrades are purely a preference thing, had no problem with the "crap" pots, tuners or anything else.

What I have had a problem with is a high fret that I didn't notice on the Squire VM Custom. I love the neck, colour and everything but I am upset at myself for not noticing the fretting out and buzz on the e string when / before I bought it. It makes a great value guitar a bit less than great value...it is possible it occurred after I bought it though...

However, I think Squiers are amazing guitars...I don't really buy in to the pick up thing either, I have had some "expensive pickups" and really they just sounded a bit different, not better or worse...different.

But then again my very expensive Wildwood limited edition Jaguar has/had the same fret problem...it's just that $150 fret job on a $600.00 guitar is annoying whereas a $150 fret job on a $3000 guitar is just good maintenance and a part of sound ownership!!

(NZ prices).

Attached Files:

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Good points and also all the more reason to either buy used or at one hell of a discount new if upgrades are planned. At least that was my point to the OP. To spend $229 new on a guitar and then add $100 worth of upgrades ends up making that guitar a tattoo you can't ever get rid of if you expect to get your money out of it.

I'm not discouraging the purchase of the Standard but at the very least a 10%-15% discount if bought on sale would make sense. That will at least cover the cost of new electronics if they're needed but since I don't own one I can't say whether or not that's a fact. However I do believe that most lower end Fenders or Squiers can benefit from a pickup upgrade which is why I always plan for that in the purchase price.

But if common sense and logic applies there's always a stopping point beyond which a buyer should simply move up to a higher end model. For instance a Squier CV is probably less likely to needs it's electronics upgraded than an Affinity or a Standard and the Alnico pickups while not anything outstanding are probably at least marginally better sounding than inexpensive Ceramics.

FWIW/JMHO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.