Current Teles with closest to 50s Baja V neck?

StewieCopeland

TDPRI Member
I've been looking around online for a Baja Classic (50s) after watching plenty of vids and loving the sound, but first I'd like to check out the neck to see how I like it, and none are available in my area. If I were trying Teles in a local guitar store what current production models if any have that same vintage V neck or something close to it?

StewieCopeland

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the specs vary a little but not a ton. Wondering if some of the love I read about for the Bajas is because they're older posts and the Vintera wasn't available yet, since they don't seem to be that different?

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the responses. It looks like the specs vary a little but not a ton. Wondering if some of the love I read about for the Bajas is because they're older posts and the Vintera wasn't available yet, since they don't seem to be that different?
The other difference is the body wood. Baja was Ash, while the Vintera is Alder. Get a lightweight used Baja, and don't look back.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I dunno if having seven of these MIM 50s Bajas makes me the Godfather of the Baja, or not, but let me use my experience to say first:

FMIC's characterization of this neck as a "V" is more to tell us what it is not. It is not a U, and not a D neck. If you're familiar with Warmoth, they have a Fatback and a Boatneck profile. These 50s Baja necks are somewhat like the Boatneck and nothing at all like the Fatback. But FMIC makes or until recently made maybe six different Stratocaster models and those all have genuine V necks - and none of those Strats have a neck that's similar to the so called V neck on the 50s Baja.

Before this model was well known, I invited a number of players I knew to try out some of mine - didn't mention the model name, just handed it to them to see how they liked it. I asked them to describe the neck and half said, "No, not a V neck" and the other half detected a very mild keel extending from about the first to the seventh fret. "Chunky C" was the description I heard most. They mostly shook their heads when I told them that FMIC was calling this a V neck.

No, none of my are for sale - sorry!

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
When you are running the racks, in the East Bay, remember to play the Vintera Modified, for the close-to-Baja experience. That will have the 9.5 radius and fatter frets. You might even find a used Baja, amongst them: job done. ;)

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member

I don't know about the current love for them, but when they were released the TDPRI was atwitter because there was finally an option for an ash-bodied blackguard (or sunburst) with a Fender label for under $1000. (I think they were $799 new, but could regularly be bought for $600-ish, and after a couple of years they could be had used for like $400 or $450.) On top of that, it had coveted vintage-ish specs with the 9.5" fretboard radius and medium-jumbo frets.

If I recall, the first ones had the chunky U-profile neck, and the soft V came later. Mine is a 60th anniversary model with the soft V neck, and it's been my #1 since I bought it.

FWIW, the Allparts TMO-V neck has a more pronouced V profile, but could be modified to match the Baja. I'm considering doing that for another of my guitars.

StewieCopeland

TDPRI Member
(I think they were $799 new, but could regularly be bought for $600-ish, and after a couple of years they could be had used for like $400 or $450.)
It's funny when something is so popular (in part because it's affordable) that it becomes less affordable. The cheapest Baja 50s on Reverb is now $800, and that's obviously used. Would they have been as popular if launched at that price?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The price increase is due to rarity and inflation. There just aren't very many on the used market now, and they're still popular. Supply & demand.

Take a look at the MIJ JD Tele. 20 years ago they were still in the $400-500 range on the used market. Now they're $1200+

People would part them out, and the desirable big V neck could be found any day on eBay or the TDPRI classifieds. I sold my neck then for about the same price I spent to replace it. Now I wish I could find that neck, but nobody's selling them.

Fuggle

Tele-Meister
I dunno if having seven of these MIM 50s Bajas makes me the Godfather of the Baja, or not, but let me use my experience to say first:

FMIC's characterization of this neck as a "V" is more to tell us what it is not. It is not a U, and not a D neck. If you're familiar with Warmoth, they have a Fatback and a Boatneck profile. These 50s Baja necks are somewhat like the Boatneck and nothing at all like the Fatback. But FMIC makes or until recently made maybe six different Stratocaster models and those all have genuine V necks - and none of those Strats have a neck that's similar to the so called V neck on the 50s Baja.

Before this model was well known, I invited a number of players I knew to try out some of mine - didn't mention the model name, just handed it to them to see how they liked it. I asked them to describe the neck and half said, "No, not a V neck" and the other half detected a very mild keel extending from about the first to the seventh fret. "Chunky C" was the description I heard most. They mostly shook their heads when I told them that FMIC was calling this a V neck.

I guess Fender can call the 50s Baja neck a soft V, a Chunky C, a Hefty W, or whatever...but no matter matter what name they go by, people sure seem to like them. The only Baja I've ever picked up is the one I own, but I love the neck and it's been my Number One since I bought it. If it were just a bit lighter it would be 100% perfect, but I'm not gonna obsess about the weight...😎

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Take a look at the MIJ JD Tele. 20 years ago they were still in the $400-500 range on the used market. Now they're $1200+

People would part them out, and the desirable big V neck could be found any day on eBay or the TDPRI classifieds. I sold my neck then for about the same price I spent to replace it. Now I wish I could find that neck, but nobody's selling them.
I've got a MIJ JD Tele in 3TS, and it's surprising how similar the JD neck is to the Baja neck. The only discernable difference being the fretboard radius (JD is 7.25", Baja is 9.5")

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've got a MIJ JD Tele in 3TS, and it's surprising how similar the JD neck is to the Baja neck. The only discernable difference being the fretboard radius (JD is 7.25", Baja is 9.5")

The JD neck is considerably chunkier. 1” thick at the nut. I’ve never measured my Baja, but it’s a bit slimmer. The V isn’t as pronounced, either.

Last edited:

JP22

Tele-Meister

SEVEN??
No wonder I couldn’t find any 😂

JP22

Tele-Meister
I've been looking around online for a Baja Classic (50s) after watching plenty of vids and loving the sound, but first I'd like to check out the neck to see how I like it, and none are available in my area. If I were trying Teles in a local guitar store what current production models if any have that same vintage V neck or something close to it?
Vintera mod 50s is the new Baja.
Great soft V neck.
It will tick the boxes