1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Current production guitars with fat/chunky necks?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 11 Gauge, Mar 24, 2021.

1. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

This is the main reason I built my partscaster. I couldn’t find a neck profile that was similar to my wider acoustic necks. Warmoth it was. Super happy with it, and it’s probably the best playing guitar I have ever owned as far as electric goes.

P Thought likes this.
  2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

That's a deliberate marketing choice by Gibson on their Historic LP reissues: R8 = baseball bat neck. R9 = well proportioned. R0 = slim taper.

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've actually only ever owned one Squier that I remember, and even that was just a loaded body - it was a Squier '51 that I got over a decade ago. I actually had my no-name Tele 'u' profile neck on it, that I think I mentioned earlier in this thread. I got that neck around 20 years ago, maybe longer, and I've had it bolted on a number of different Tele bodies.

...If it's only actually the typical S/S Tele, I don't really need to rely on Fender or Squier to provide the right raw materials in complete form. This is more just something I'm running up against because I want something in a H/H format, specifically.

I also thought about maybe getting a Tele Deluxe body, and throwing on a 'guard with a pair of PAF dimension HBs, but the neck pocket and 'guard are cut for a Strat neck, so then I run into trying to chase down a currently available Strat neck with sufficient depth. There's also the sig Chris Shiflett Tele Deluxe model, but I'm guessing it's got probably a 70's modern C carve.

I'm assuming it's probably something similar with the sig John 5 Tele, since he's like a shred player.

Edited to add - yeah, both the Chris Shiflett and John 5 models look like they both have a modern C neck with a 12" radius.

4. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

As it turns out I just bought a new Gibson ES-335 with a chunky neck. I looked at a few of them and the others all had noticeably thinner necks, but this one was chunky and it just appealed to me, so I did what any normal guitar player would do when encountering a guitar one likes - I purchased it and took it home.

When I started playing the guitar I had no idea what guitars were like and my first guitar was a classical. Then someone told me that electric guitars have super thin necks and I was amazed by that fact. In years to come I gravitated towards buying electric guitars with thin necks, because I thought that was the ultimate in neck profile. But as I matured my taste developed and I started liking chunkier necks. In fact, I now can't stand some of the super thin necks, that even feel like a surf board.

The above mentioned ES-335 has a chunky neck that feels just right to me. So, I guess, to answer your question, it could be an odd ball from a production that ends up having a chunkier neck, even if the rest of the guitars form the same line have noticeably thinner necks. It would depend on the manufacturing process. At the Gibson factory they do hand held power sanding of the necks, so there are going to be variations.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's hard to talk specifics on forums, where more likely we're talking about slightly different things. I see posts saying 59 profiles are FAT, and that so is .94.

I had the same problem as the OP, and @telemnemonics, though I like a 7.25 and small frets. But I like the neck very large, either a soft V, or ... actually it doesn't matter much, as long as it's huge. 1.00 at the nut, to 1.05 at the 12th is good.

The few that come close for me are: 57/58 LP; 59 reissues of 330 and 175; and 57 Strat. , few necks are truly fat. There's the GE Smith Tele.

In this spec, and others (7.25 radius, small frets, lacquer, lightweight) there are fewer and fewer Fenders that I'd ever consider.

My solution, and granted not for everyone, is to build my own necks. Initially I was scared of the thought, because I envisioned this freeform sculpting process. But once I realized that 95% of the work is done on squared lumber, it's well within my abilities. The final bit, rasping the profile, is so easy a monkey could do it. There just need to be a handful of lines marked on the material beforehand.

Now I can get exactly what I want.

6. 11 Gauge

Agreed that it's hard to talk specifics.

I don't care if it's a soft V, a 'vintage C' or even more of a U profile, as long as it has some shoulder to it. So something like a hard V, even if it's relatively deep, still doesn't tend to feel so substantial, to me.

...And I always thought that I wanted something significantly deeper than .82" at the first fret, but I have a neck that's probably only that deep, but has shoulders so stout that it feels like the center portion of the backside almost feels flat. It's got to be some kind of U profile.

I just really end up with fatigue if there's no shoulder, and the 1st fret depth is .82" or less. I pulled the neck from my Nashville Tele Deluxe for this reason, and replaced it with a Fender Classic 50's neck that I previously had on another partscaster. According to Stew Mac, it looks like the specs for that neck are:
    • At 1st fret: 0.900"
    • At 6th fret: 0.900"
    • At 12th fret: 0.920"
    ...So it looks like I could get by with .9" and a good shoulder, just as a general set of criteria.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In the Fender universe, the Ed O'Brien Strat and the Road Worn Brad Paisley tele both have necks that I find really good- great shapes, great heft (for my tastes). My idea of a great neck is something in the general range of heft of a 59 Les Paul profile, up to the neck on my Custom shop relic 51 Nocaster reissue, which is at the high end of my tolerance.

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I liked the neck on the original 50's Road Worn but I've read some recent specs saying it's now a C profile. If so, too bad.
    The profile, radius, and frets all worked well for me on the early ones.

posttoastie likes this.
  9. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I played a Les Paul standard 60s the other day. I thought the neck felt rather chunky - very similar to my '52 hot rod tele.

10. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Gibson 50's Standard Les Paul has a big beefy neck, as does the current Les Paul Special.

11. 11 Gauge

See, that's the thing - besides just renaming some of these models, like the Baja to the Vintera, Fender also goes and dinks around with stuff, and it makes it hard to know what all they might have changed.

Here's the 50's neck that I (apparently) have, but Fender lists it as being .82" deep at the 1st fret- https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...neck-21-vintage-frets---maple/0991202921.html

...but when you look at the exact same neck at Stew Mac, it's .9" at the first fret - https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/s...ender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-neck.html

...then, looking at the 50's 'Classic Series' neck with lacquer finish (at Fender's website) - https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...h-c-shape---maple-fingerboard/0990063921.html - that one has this weird, in between depth at the first fret, of .86"???

When selecting Teles with a U shaped neck, Fender is only currently listing the Vintera 50's modified, which then they say has a 'thick soft V' with a 9.5" radius, or the American 50's Original, which they say has a '1952 U', but then they say it's a 9.5" radius??? So if you get a current 50's Tele, then you can't get anything with a 7.25" radius?

...IDK what year the 50's Tele currently in my avatar is, other than it's somewhere in the '00's. The neck has an amber tint, but must be poly, but is clearly 7.25" radius, vintage frets, and probably .9" deep at the first fret. And the 50's neck that I got about three years ago (listed above), is basically the exact same thing, just w/o the amber tint.

If it's actually supposed to be a 50's style Tele, why do they have to screw around with the neck specs? I can see them doing that with the Squier 50's stuff, simply because it's the entry-level approximations. But the MIM and MIA guitars should IMO stay true to what they originally were.

12. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

Ibanez as artcore series from 2008ish on

Yamaha revstar 500 series and up.

13. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I'm watching this thread; I love thick and wide with shoulders.

I was saddened that the PRS Fat/Wide measured about the same as the no-name neck on my current #1Tele. They made a nice DC SE with P90s but I wanted bigger than what I've got.

I'd resigned to the Warmoth route for this current build and likely the next HH/Thinline I'm planning. What some of the small shops are doing is interesting but dang are they pricey.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Keith - the thing you’re not is a spec is just a spec. Units vary. A lot. Those Gretschs someone mentioned? Most ARE thin U. Just because one is deep doesn’t mean it’s representative.

That said, every 50s Vintera I picked up was bigger than modern C to fat. I’ve come full circle to: an individual neck is either comfortable or it isn’t. And no spec on paper or in person has been a very good predictor for me.

15. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Gibson has some baseball bats and some skinny's. Not much in between. Late 50s is fat. 60's is usually skinny.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

G&l makes some pretty substantial ones.

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

MiJ Tokai - Teles and LPs invariably have 'chunky' necks.

dlaroe likes this.
  18. 11 Gauge

I would think that at least the lower- to mid-price points that these necks would just be sent thru CNC machines at the factory, whether it's in Indonesia or Mexico, or wherever.

I got my 50's MIM Tele neck in 2018, and it's dead-nuts the same as the neck on my '00's 50's Tele. Other than one having an amber tint and the other not, if I were blind, they'd feel the same to my hand. So they're both from the Ensenada factory, roughly a decade apart.

Unless they're literally doing hand shaping on these necks, I really don't understand how there can be a ton of variation, unless the CNC machines have slop tolerances, or they're not being programmed consistently. And if that were the case, IDK how any of these necks would end up milled to consistent fretboard radii, or even be properly cut for a truss rod. You'd think getting the profile on the backside of the neck would be trivially easy compared to what has to happen on the top/front.

dlaroe likes this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me, too, just about exactly. Then I built four more, all with wide fat necks.

dlaroe and oregomike like this.
  20. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Dang I am sorry. I typed in .97 at the first fret. IT should have been .87. My apologies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.