Current drum machine vs vintage?

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
A Sweetwater popup had an SR-16 drum machine for sale. $159. I bought one of these years ago for $75/used.

The design of this is from 1990 or so.

Will a brand new one (an SR-16) sound just like 1990 (the one I have)? Or will they have changed the kits to a more modern sound, with the same patterns? Or new patterns?

It said it was played by real drummers in the ad.

I don't use it that much, I find it a bother to program, but it hits the spot when I need a drum sound to rehearse something.

Just trying to sort out (mentally) if it's like a DRRI that sounds like 1965 (or supposed to). It's electronic vs an amp.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I had the sr16. It was a big ok. Programming was tough and limited presets. I have a beat buddy now and the realistic samples or alagorithms now sound so pure. 100 times as many presets and drum kits. You can find song settings online for almost anything. Sr16, Its ok but just ok. Imho

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Sr16, nooooooooo, sr18 way better once you learn it, like how to turn the bass off. Sr16 sounds like a crappy cheap '80s thing, its cool if you want that sound though.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve got a Dr. Rhythm DR-770 from BOSS.
It‘s probably considered ancient but was/is a lot of fun.
I have no clue about modern machines

I played in a 3 piece when drummers here were few and far between. We had a 770 that worked decently.

The singer was responsible for getting the correct beat, starting and stopping the machine at the right time.

One of my favorites was Symphony For The Devil played over a reggae beat. It always got people up and dancing

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a SR-16 back in the 80's and sold it in a 90's gear purge. It was rather obtuse and difficult to work with.

Since the 2000's and still today, I use a MIDI controller and various VST software to do drum tracks. This is much better.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
OK everyone missed the point maybe it was my wording.

I already have and SR-16. "IF" (and I won't) I bought a brand new one, would it sound exactly the same as the one I have? Or have they updated something about the sounds? I know how cranky we all get about vintage pedals sounding different than modern replacement.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire

I already have and SR-16. "IF" (and I won't) I bought a brand new one, would it sound exactly the same as the one I have? Or have they updated something about the sounds? I know how cranky we all get about vintage pedals sounding different than modern replacement.

You can get VSTs (Virtual Studio Technology) that sound exactly like the SR-16 and other vintage rhythm machines (I prefer the Roland TR-808 myself). For example: https://vstbuzz.com/the-vault/vintage-machines/

If you were to upgrade I strongly recommend the controller and VST route since it's a lot more cost effective and flexible.

As for the SR-16 a common thread I've seen in reviews is "outdated" so I doubt it's been significantly updated over the years.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I

Correct.

Kerberos

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I think the only way to find out is get one and listen. If you have something that works for you, sound and function wise, stick with it.