Curiously, what to folks here think about guitars like these? (Strandberg Salen Content)

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
They look like they are broken . I would have no interest in knowing any more about them

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m for whatever keeps people playing and makes ‘em happy. Like others, I’ve never seen one in the wild or in a store, so I have no idea whether I like it or not.

I do wonder how effective/efficient those tuners might be for, say, changing to drop D tuning in the middle of a set and back again, but maybe that’s not such a common concern.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've had several customers bring them to me for setups and things. They're very well made and the fretwork is excellent. I don't love the faceted neck shape but I get it, and it's both comfortable and functional if you play with good thumb technique (I don't).

But I don't think it sounds more than Tele-ish. The bridge design means no ferrous plate around the pickup, and the strings don't respond with the same snap as they would on a vintage style Tele. The lack of wood around the bridge area and the chambering mean the body resonates differently. The mixed scale lengths and headless design change the feel.

If you need something to do a reasonably good imitation of a Tele, this will do it. If you need it to actually sound like a Tele, it won't.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I like the idea. They play great and sound great. I'm a huge fan of headless guitars.

The design execution, however, departs too far from convention (see @maxvintage above), and I think that's the big thing that has prevented the Strandberg from really gaining traction among guitarists.
The same pretty much happened to Steinberger and their headless models, they stayed a niche. Now companies are catching up, the Ibanez with the Q series will probably have some heavy marketing, Kiesel makes some waves. The problem with Strandberg may be, as an innovator, they were just a tad too early.. we'll see

Witcher

Tele-Meister
You live in Tokyo?
no I was there on holiday. I do that every year, and would've been there last month if not for this blasted pandemic... I got the butterscotch from Ikebegakki in Shibuya. Grande Jungle I think. The basement one.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
I have a fanned fret five string bass: Fanned frets are a brilliant idea for a five string bass. The low B is 37 inches and the G is 34. I'm not sure the difference between 25.5 and 25 would matter much, but I'd be delighted to try it.

The headless guitar is a great idea ergonomically, but the body design has me scratching my head about where and how I'd set it down. Can't hang it, can't lean it against an amp, can't put it on a stand. From a design standpoint the relationship of form to function goes all to hell.

If it's a great guitar and a pleasure to play that's all that matters
hahahaha... I get you. The guitar needs a special stand at home, or when I'm jamming in the studio, I just shove it back into the gig bag, then that leans against the wall.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Tele Bridge causes players to rest their palm behind the bridge where they pick most often between the bridge pickup and the saddles. That is where Twang hangs out. If you pick a Strat or a LP in the same location they will magically Twang too!
They do? I tend to hold my Tele the same way as my Salen. I mute at the bridge, and my pick is just after the bridge pickup, in between the 2 pickups. No real change there.

I had thought that the ashtray bridge that surrounds the pickup was a significant portion of the tele sound, so I'm a little surprised to hear these do the same thing.
It was close enough to make me choose this over those other legit Telecasters.
But I don't think it sounds more than Tele-ish. The bridge design means no ferrous plate around the pickup, and the strings don't respond with the same snap as they would on a vintage style Tele. The lack of wood around the bridge area and the chambering mean the body resonates differently. The mixed scale lengths and headless design change the feel.

If you need something to do a reasonably good imitation of a Tele, this will do it. If you need it to actually sound like a Tele, it won't.
You know? I should really put a set of La Breas in this butterscotch Salen and compare them. It did certainly sound Tele-ish enough otherwise I'd not have bought it. But now with the Dimarzios, there's some top end roll off, so I can't tell. The thing I'd agree about, is definitely the chambering that affects something in the red one, which is why I sold it. The butterscotch is solid ash.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
no I was there on holiday. I do that every year, and would've been there last month if not for this blasted pandemic... I got the butterscotch from Ikebegakki in Shibuya. Grande Jungle I think. The basement one.
Nice. I know the place.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I like the body design and also the fanned frets. What doesn't work for me on headless guitars is the fine tuners which I always find fiddly to use with my clumsy fingers and the absence of a headstock :) Whenever I check a headless guitar I feel like I am shrunken. It really confuses me all the time to have an empty space, where a headstock used to be.
Also, I am so used to headstocks in guitar design, that I just would not consider a guitar design overall beautiful, when no headstock is used. You also have to have a cutout for the bridge/tuners on the body and that is not looking too appealing to me, either.
But the fanned fret thing is pretty cool! That's on my list to build as well :)

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Honestly, I don't know, I've never tried a guitar with fanned frets.
It's not so much about the bodyshape - I'm currently bidding on a Music Man St Vincent. I can see that there's some ergonomy in the design. But I somehow feel that a headless guitar looks.....amputated.
Which is strange, because I don't mind a headless bass design, but i'm obviously more old-fashioned with guitars.