Curious on everybody's favourite Fender amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by conorcoughlanmu, Apr 4, 2015.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Right now, a Wally-modded sf pro reverb

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

'63 Vibroverb Reissue. Fat, Brownface tone, thick, creamy mids, beautiful reverb and bias vary trem

It's loud enough for most gigs, sounds lush and rich at practice volumes, and it's light enough to make a decent grab and go.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Big iron? Super Reverb.

Mid iron? Deluxe Reverb.

Small iron? Princeton Reverb.

All around utility? Mustang III.

So many choices, so little time / funds...

4. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

I haven't had the chance to try many vintage Fender amps but I do like my DRRI and BJ. I also built a 5F1 and it sounds great when dimed.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I go back and forth between my 62 Deluxe or 69 Princeton Reverb, and have been leaning more toward the Princeton Reverb lately, especially since I have been recording. The Deluxe is great too though.

6. Dailey66

Dailey66 TDPRI Member

I would say the bassman 50 with a 2-15 cab is probably my favorite. With that being said I am playing through a modded exceslior right now. It had an "alinco mod" and an eminece legend 15 in it. I bought with the upgrades for 180 bucks! It's my main amp right now and I really love it. I think the excelsior is a really underrated amp, especially once they have been modded.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Depends on the situation, from Tweed Champ to BF/SF Twin.
    I've owned more BF and SF Super Reverbs than any other model, but I like a lot of models.
    The BF Bassman head (not the cab) is high on the list, along with the SR, low power Twin and 5f6 Bassman for 2- 6L6 amps, though I'm interested in finding or building a cathode biased Pro just from the internet.
    Tweed Deluxe or DR for 2- 6v6, not so fond of the PR.
    Also not really into the Rivera amps, though they get pretty close.
    The 5f1 Champ is a great great amp.

I think I've played all the BF amps, but only a few Tweeds, and there's a lot of Tweed tones out there...

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I had a silverface Pro Reverb that was just wonderful. A friend has one now and it's wonderful too, so that would be high on my list.

But I'm always haunted by my first 'real' amp purchase where I had a choice between a big Peavey Vintage 610 and a little SF Fender Deluxe Reverb... and, being young and stupid, I opted for the 120-watt Peavey. I mean, like, duhhh, right?

Wrong. :rolleyes:

9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

BF Bassman. Mine's a 65-66 AB165. Through a Z-Best 2x12...Killer.

10. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

My '59 Bassman that I wish I had back.

11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

My Mustang III V.2 pretty much does everything but play the guitar for me while I stand on the stage at church. Of Fender amps I've never owned, but played, I really loved a '65 DRRI I played at GC. Even at low volume, it sounded sweet to my non-cork sniffing ears.

12. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Fender I kept the longest was a silverface Bassman 50 with 2 -15s.

The only Fenders I'd be tempted to buy now would be a Super Reverb or a Princeton Reverb................ although maybe a Blackface Tremolux.

The one I couldn't wait to get my hands on in 73 and sold in 74 was a silverface Twin reverb with JBLs and no master volume. It weighed a ton and got way too loud before it would grow any hair. I had to put it in the trunk of a taxi to get to a gig one time. That was the end of me and that amp.

13. conorcoughlanmu

conorcoughlanmu Tele-Meister

Sounds like a great pair of amps. Have you ever ran them at the same time? Bet you'd get killer tones.

14. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Not much experience here, but my Clark 5F1 is certainly a nice amp. My first real amp was a Drip Edge Champ, I liked it a lot and foolishly sold it when I bought the Clark. Both of these amps were plenty loud for in home use.

I'll be receiving a Princeton reverb clone by Magic Amps soon. I'm sure I'll be happy with it too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  15. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Have owned and played through quite a few over the years. There was a big cab blackface Bassman I wish I had kept...sounded lovely with the volume at 6.

My '74 Twin Reverb still defines big Fender tone to me and is my most used gigging amp.

But my favorite is my '54 Deluxe. It seems to capture the pure tone of whatever guitar is run through it better than anything I've ever heard.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, I love the sound of two amps and have definitely messed around with that. Surprisingly, I have never tried it with the combination of those two amps.

Also, I have discovered that when it comes to actual gigging, I can't always count on having enough space on stage to make the two amp thing work, unless I find a way to stack them.

17. CNBaker

CNBaker TDPRI Member

I love my '63 Brown Vibrolux and miss my old '63 Princeton.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That's easy enough. You'll have to pull the reverb tank out of the PR. (goes back in when your done) Now set the PR on top of the 6G3 Deluxe and put at least half a dozen drywall screws through the bottom of the PR into the top of the Deluxe.

Best make sure the screws don't hit anything important inside the Deluxe and of course you will take a hit if you sell them.
    But come on are you a player or a collector ? :lol:

19. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Loud - My 1970 Silverface Twin Reverb

Gigs - My 72/73 Silverface Deluxe Reverb

Tweed Toanz - My 1975 Silverface Musicmaster Bass amp

20. JR88

JR88 Tele-Meister

All of them xD but really there was a lot of variation/quality then, big generalization, but yeah DR/Deluxe/PR /Bassman / Bandmaster etc, Gramps had a SF Bassman/15s I believe, old Strat too.

I just want still working/in Spec Caps, mostly unlikely...and of course who doesn't want old RCA/GE/Sylvania stuff? a lot of great power/output iron back then too/Speakers etc what wasn't Great? haha

Go further though into those super Rodded sounds though haha, Some 60s GE Black-plate 6v6s on the way, oh man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.