1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

curious about price difference MIA vs MIM

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Jul 2, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

So I recently decided to buy a MIM road worn (Brad Paisley silver) and I noticed that the price difference, at least here in Canada, is $280 CA ($206 US) between that and an American Professional. Thats a pretty close margin. I know this particular guitar is a bit pricier than the standard MIM. I've never checked out the American Professionals so I have no idea what their quality is.
    Is the MIM quality pretty close to the American Professionals. Either way it wouldn't change my mind on the BP MIM as it has the specs I want and the American Professional doesn't. The quality difference between MIM and the Custom shop I own is much farther apart and that doesn't bother me. I may upgrade some hardware on the MIM if I find it worth doing. I was just curious how much quality difference really exists between the BP Silver tele MIM and an American Professional.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've also noticed that MIM prices are shooting up and bumping into the MIA prices. It sounds like you're set on the model though - nothing wrong with that. If it were me, I'd just fork over the difference and get the MIA.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You are looking at the higher end of MiMs and the lower end of MIAs, so I think Fender has always tried to fill every price point possible and this is a good example of that.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree with Obsessed.

Marketeers figured out a long time ago, it was a mistake to leave a price level vacant. You offer a spectrum of prices for Chevy, and spectrum of prices for Buick, and if a void is left you introduce the Pontiac.

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I was under the assumption that the American Professional was the replacement for the American Standards, with which I am familiar with. The mid 90's through to about 2004 I played a number of American Standard telecasters that were great quality.
    I only played the MIM that I bought for about 15-20 minutes just to confirm that I wanted it and I'll pick it up later this month. So I really didn't get a chance to evaluate it completely on quality compared to the American Standards I used to own. I imagine the differences might be in the hardware, bridge saddle, tuners, etc. I can always change those out after a time if I decide its needed.
    For a short time I owned an American Original 50's telecaster which was a pretty good guitar but I thought the bridge on it was kind of cheap. The finish on the bridge actually began to flake off. I got a couple of slivers in my hand brushing along it. For a guitar that expensive I thought that was kind of cheap. So I guess any guitar at any price level can have problems. Although of all the custom shops and one masterbuilt I owned there were absolutely no quality problems.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Others here will know more about the differences, but the Professional comes with a poly coat that might have been a way to reduce the costs ... relatively speaking, of MIAs.

7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

The American Series, and subsequent American Standard series have had poly coats since at least the 90s, so that's not exactly a recent phenomenon...

8. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

If you like that BP Tele, get it.Nevermind which side of California it's made in. It's a fantastic instrument with custom shop pups, notably a specially voiced bridge. I think you'll be fully happy with what you get, but you could always upgrade or switch something that isn't to your taste.

9. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Chances are that the BP model is on par with a Pro. Price difference comes down to the fact that the Pro has a HSC and the BP has BP and his commission.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I already committed to it and will not be changing my mind. I was just curious why the prices were so close. The BP silver tele will be the least expensive guitar I have bought since the early 2,000's so I am out of touch with what is going on with the standard american lines and I've never owned a Mexican made guitar. I don't have anything against them its just that nothing drew me to one until I played the BP sig guitar.
    I don't have anything against none US guitars. Back in the early 80's to early 90's I owned some fantastic made in japan guitars that in my opinion were as good as my American Standards. If the MIM I have bought is an indication of the quality maybe it won't be my last.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Personally, I think pricing is calculated from what folks will pay: not the cost of the product. For a long time, anything made anywhere but the US, was considered inferior, and folks just wouldn't pay as much. Its been shared many times here that the difference between a MIA and a MIM is about 180 miles - and it was theorized that the same number of Mexican citizens were assembling both, lol.

I think folks aren't willing to pay as much of a premium for a US built Fender.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

For what it's worth, the real price difference shows up on the re-sale side. Just based on Ebay listings, the MIA retains considerably more value than do the MIM.
    But, I've never put money into a guitar that I didn't plan on playing for quite some time.
    If you found the model you like, go for it. Who knows where any of the prices will go in the future?

13. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I understand what you mean, I was considering it as well some months ago. It felt overpriced. In my neck of the woods it was ~400 usd more expensive than the Vintera mods, which I struggled to understand. As others have mentioned I think Fender were just trying to capitolize on the opportunity, Brad's name, plus some unique features - paulownia body, the special neck finish, the nitro on the sparkle body.

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

That Philip McKnight chap (youtube), did a side by side comparison between the new MIM Player Strat and an older American Standard. It appears that virtually all the hardware, pickups included, is identical in both cases-according to part number stickers, etc. So essentially you're getting a US guitar assembled in Mexico. I don't know about how Telecasters compare.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In 2006, Fender came out with a MIM Strat model, with a certain sort of bridge and when the USA American Standard was reintroduced, January 2008, people thought the bridge was the same. Similar, but the piece on the USA guitar was nicer, on close inspection. Closer machining; thicker plate - nicer plating.

FMIC hires someone to make reproduction parts, at a lower price per unit. Two guitars with pots from the same company, but some pots are more carefully inspected and fall into a closer approximation of the stated value. If you're not looking for the difference, you might not notice.

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Most price differences are not based in which is better etc. It's all marketing and to tell you what the price difference reflects you would have to have been in the meeting where fender execs sat down to determine what the prices would based solely on market stats. If marketing data says the MIM should cost X dollars then thats what the prices ends up being. And with the internet they have the ultimate tool to determine trends that dictate pricing. On the paisly tele tho u may be in part paying for Brad's boutique coffee in the morning.

17. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

When I was shopping for a Strat I played a ton of models and basically came to the unscientific conclusion that the MIMs were about 85% the quality of a MIA for about half the price. That was awhile back and prices have shifted somewhat. Also, as others have mentioned, there are scales involved in both lines. I have a few nicer MIMs that blindfolded you could not tell were not MIA. I also have played a few MIAs that were inferior in fit, finish and feel to some MIMs.

The biggest wake-up for me was my Made in China Epiphone ES-339. Bought it used but mint for $350, and it's one of the nicest guitars I own and certainly the biggest bang for the buck in my collection.

What it taught me is that country of origin is not so important anymore. What's important is the quality the company asks their workers to build into the product, no matter what their nationality may be.

Enjoy the new guitar!

RhythmFender likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.