1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Beer - another carb myth. Beer contains extremely low levels of carbs and no sugar. "Low carb" beer is another marketing scam by people selling stuff. If makes people think carbs are bad and that beer is loaded with it.

1955 likes this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

it's that simple.

I used to love KFC as a special treat once a month or so. After no fast food at all for 6 months, I tried a piece of KFC and nearly vomited, fast food is not good for you in so many ways and once your body get sused to good food, it will reject fast food with extreme prejudice.

1955 likes this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Only if you are prone to freak out if you gain a couple pounds over a period of weeks. I know full well I'm going to gain a few pounds over winter so I don't even try to stay keto'ed up.

When summer comes I have no problem cutting carbs to nearly nothing...and no bread, pasta or sugar period.

1955 likes this.
  4. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

I work outside in different locations all day so it's easy to eat junk food all the time. Whenever i bring a healthy lunch i wind up throwing it out and eating hot dogs pr hamburgers. I keep asking muself why but the amswer is simple. Fast food tastes sooo good!

1955 likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cutting carbs was like cutting my right arm off! My numbers are good now, I cut out soda immediately and I always excercise/stay busy. I got tired of bacon after one month heheh.

I sympathize about the holidays---tough times..

1955 likes this.
  6. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Right, for these reasons, don't target carbs alone on "cheat days". You can actually accelerate your metabolism if you eat a bunch of fats and proteins in on meal, you can eat some carbs with that and get away with it (i.e. BBQ...), but the idea of having a cheat day once a week or 2 weeks - in the middle of a carb-lite diet - is to wake up your metabolism so that you get it burning calories again, but sugar and carb-heavy cheating actually just adds fat: You have to eat tough to convert stuff like fats and protein to increase your metabolism. That helps a lot of people over lethargy and weight loss Plateaus. It works.

1955 likes this.
  7. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Great stuff everyone!

8. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

I learned to like salads by throwing in tuna,or chicken,smoked salmon.Have done so at lunch for a year or so and lost 30 lbs.Hard to give up breads and rice,and pasta,but cut much of it out.Little things like not eating a full meal of take out food,but making it last 2-3 meals,throw away half the buns or bread on a sandwich,seem to work.What passes for a meal portion of take out or at a sit down type dinner is way out of whack to me.Learned that avacados are great healthy filling item to add with just about anything.I have lived alone for five years,and find that cooking and eating healthy is fairly easy for one.Gets harder if I cook for grandkids and other adults though.If I have crap food around the house I will always find it,though.

william tele and 1955 like this.
  9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Just ate red beans and rice, drained the beans, microwaved cups of brown rice, then a little Texas Pete. It's a little bit of a good start, not optimal, but I feel full.

I microwaved both cups of rice at the same time, then stirred in the beans. Not a good idea.

It suuuuuuuuuuuuucked!

But it's something.

[​IMG]

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

You're my hero. Now, do you want fries with that?

william tele and 1955 like this.
  11. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Show me the way, I have passed over into the dark side and have no string in the forest to find my way back...Said my poofbumch to the peanut M&M's quartersuck monolith of rainbow doom.

12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Just ate brown rice and black beans with habanero sauce and garlic and onion powder. Gotta find bean without salt added and next time I'm gonna get the big microwave long grain rice in the frozen section without the added sodium and stuff.

13. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Easy when you make burgers at home the recipe is ground meat and add plenty of salt. It's better than fast food because it's not covered in god knows what. Learn to make fries at home. I mean you should only be eating deep fried food so much. It's still a lot healthier to do it at home. Use lard.

I will make stuff like hamburgers and green beans. That's actually pretty good for you. Red meat isn't as horrible for you as people make it out to be.'The real trick is marry someone who can cook. I more than like fried chicken but I like baked chicken, oven fried chicken, I mean there is a thousand ways to cook chicken that are really good and healthy. Some mashed potatoes and peas or mandarin oranges in a bowl. Pot Roast with carrots and peas. I yeah you can get the peas in a can but buy carrots and skin them and cut them up they taste so much better than frozen or a can. Pork is the other white meat so pork chops and some nice side dishes.

1955 likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread has made me crave some crazy stuff. Tonight I had a cheese based soup with chopped up bits of steak and potatoes, and some onions. On the side I had two taquitos and a chimichanga with some hot sauce. Then I had three chocolate covered creme cherries, a chocolate desert pudding, then a nice chocolate candy filled with some delicious coffee flavored concoction. Emmmmmmm Tasty!

jglenn, 1955 and BartS like this.
  15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Sounds more than delicious and yet still 1000 times healthier than any fast food.

Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

continue to enjoy it as long as you want and as long as you can put up with how large it makes you or how it makes you feel. Kind of like drinking. After you get hammered so much that you get sick of waking up hungover, you back off.
    Ultimately, if you start having health problems, like real health problems, you will stop eating crap food.

1955 likes this.
  17. Opyron

Opyron TDPRI Member

I had a widow maker heart attack 2 years ago this month...you can always wait till you have the big one and hope you survive it or you can start doing something about it now!Trust me it's not easy giving up all the foods you love to eat....a typical day is 1500 calories or less 15 grams of fat and less than 15 mgs sodium.... check the nutritional information on your average fast food burger... the choice is yours....good luck!

1955 likes this.
  18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

If you get a chance, read John Popper's autobiography. Popper, of Blues Traveler, admits his addiction to food - especially fast-food. He talks about how he used to eat it multiple times per day. Popper would even be able to tell which fast food place was in the area by the smell of the grease in the air. Drugs were never his addiction (although he enjoyed them from time to time) - it was always about food. And, he goes into detail about the addiction and how he struggles with it. Popper obviously got the help he needed, but it required heart surgery and gastric bypass because he waited so long. I'm not saying that you are at that point, but it might help you avoid going down that road.

[​IMG]

Also, I use a food diary program, called MyFitnessPal. I log whatever I eat during the day and try to monitor my calories and nutrition. Once you get in a habit of actually logging your food, you will seek out food that is good for you. No one wants to log in stuff from McD or BK once you really see how bad that food is for you.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    1955 likes this.
  19. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I think the solution to the american diet is simple:

1)Rice=bread=carbs=sugar=body fat

2)chicken and fish are nearly free calories

3)don't fear fats in food, just don't go overboard

When I used to use "enjoying food" as the excuse to eat anything - like it was my right to do so, I had no idea what I was missing by being fit and in the process of getting fit: The journey to fitness is the reward.

One guy in a different thread said it simpler as "bread=death"

I never appreciated this until I was older, and then, it was many times harder to get healthy again. But, I do things now in my 50's that I could not do/enjoy in my 30's.

1955 likes this.
  20. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Dude, ditch the microwave stuff and make your own rice. It's the processed foods that are the problem. If you live on it, you'll eat too much of the bad stuff and not enough good.

1955 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.