1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm neither fat nor thin. (well ok maybe a little fat) My brother-in-law the great philosopher once said; "People are just the size they are." Pretty much sums it up for me. I do my own yard work, walk every day, and spend a lot of time on the golf course, I'm not gonna worry much about what size I am, cause I'm just the size I am. BTW, I only eat twice a day. That seems to be enough of a concession to eating healthy to keep me in the same size clothes.

william tele and 1955 like this.
  2. headly21

headly21 TDPRI Member

I think I screwed that one up. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-J700T using TDPRI mobile app

1955 and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Awww nah, don't try walking back a perfectly legitimate post!:lol:

1955 likes this.
  4. Sonic Steve

Sonic Steve TDPRI Member

I found a hair (and not mine!!) the last time I had a McD's burger, that's done the trick!! :eek:

5. headly21

headly21 TDPRI Member

I meant that, if my intention to ease the guy's worries about addiction had instead caused him to say Eff it and wolf down a double cheeseburger, then I didn't quite convey my message properly. LOL

Sent from my SM-J700T using TDPRI mobile app

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

OK, you have a habit you want to break. Fortunately, it's a habit you want to replace with another. You gotta eat, right? You're just switching what you eat. Something like quitting smoking is hard partially because you're not replacing it with something else. And changing habits is hard. And you'll probably fail fairly often.

You need to keep the change near the top of your mind. You approach the fast food joint, and the thought from near the top of your mind is 'Remember! I don't do that any more!' Then listen to that thought and don't pull in.

But that's not enough. You then have to reinforce it. Remember that you did it successfully that time. Congratulate yourself on a job well done. And renew your resolve to do it again the next time.

You'll fail. For whatever reason, the thought won't be close enough to the top of your mind, and you'll find yourself with a burger in your hand. If you catch yourself before you finish it, put down the burger. Remind yourself of what you resolved to do. Congratulate yourself for at least stopping when you realized your mistake. And again, renew your resolve.

And sometimes you'll only remember you failed after the fact. Tell yourself that you messed up, but only this one time, not every time. And renew your resolve.

It's only a true failure if you think of not doing it, but do it anyway.

And if all that fails, watch David Hasselhoff drunk eating a cheeseburger off the floor and try to not be that guy.

1955 likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

For or against? :lol::lol::lol:

1955 and headly21 like this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I try to limit carbs, especially processed sugar. Some people adhere to the "allow yourself a cheat day" once a week or so. I've discovered that I can't (won't) exercise as much in winter so I've converted to "cheating" for three months a year.:)

This doesn't mean I throw the progress out the window but I face the reality that I will probably gain 5-10 lbs through November to January so I accept some pasta, bread and have a beer or two with it during those months. Still eat smallish portions.

When February rolls around it's back to the grindstone. It takes some determination, but I've seen and felt the results... so that's the incentive. I don't need a cheat day in the summer. The sun, the sweat and feeling alive are all I need to stick to it!

I realize this has nothing to do with breaking FF addiction but once you do you have to maintain somehow. I think we all just want to put our own ideas out there for you to focus on. Good luck!

9. Toto'sDad

I admire both your will power and dedication.

1955 and william tele like this.
  10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

As someone that had a wicked Indian buffet problem, you have to learn to eat a more balanced diet and eat less food. Drinking water & non-caffeinated tea can helpful as well. Try walking a couple of miles a day if you can do so. When I hit 40, I weighed 255 and I am 6'2". I turned 50 last year and I have been 195 for years now. I changed the way I eat and figured out what worked best for my body. I slowly took the weight off and it took about 3 years to lose it all. I also quit smoking at the same time so my metabolism was all kinds of confused. I still eat bread, I eat chocolate daily(dark chocolate is a much better anti-depressant than big pharma's solutions). Eating more vegetables is super important. Once I figured out how many different ways you can make butternut squash taste good or how many different combinations of cooked greens taste awesome, the weight just came off. Not eating at restaurants is also good starting point and paying close attention to proper amounts of your portions is extremely crucial. You need to relearn how to eat and that's that. There are no quick fixes.

1955 likes this.
  11. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Processed carbs and sugars are the main culprits. You have to cut those out except for planned 1-3 "cheat" meals per week (Have to allow yourself these or you'll never stick to eating clean 90% of the time). Also limit dairy to a small bit of cheese, yogurt, etc per day. Make your diet revolve around meats, vegetables, and fruit with a small bit of beans, rice, wheat bread, dairy, etc.

If you mix this with quality exercise (find your preference of something you like, mine is interval training/P90x type stuff) preferably in the morning, you will see radical improvements to your health and appearance.

5 years ago I went from a reasonably fit 6'6'' 245 lb man (who still ate and drank like a college kid) into a very fit 205 lb man in a matter of months doing exactly above and have remained this way since.

Life happens and self discipline is a daily battle. You just have to keep moving and get back on the horse after you fall off.

1955 likes this.
  12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

the effects of a carb cheat dayou last a minimum of 3 days., cheats days are a horrible impediment to healthy eating.

1955 likes this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bingo. Once cheat, or one piece of chocolate, and I will be craving sweets for three to five days. It's just not worth it.

Bones and 1955 like this.
  14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

And here I thought I downloaded a telecaster forum.

1955 likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Talk of vegetables on the TDPRI, must be some mistake.

1955 likes this.
  16. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I too love 'junk' food but seldom, very seldom indulge. Its expensive and Im too cheap. Me, I'll have a heapin helpin of toufu on a bed of soylent seaweed with a side of probiotitc.
    What amazes me is some of the innocent food items Ive heard mentioned that people think are junk or non nutritious.
    Some of you guys sound like 7th graders discussing cafeteria food.:confused: Remember those days LOL
    My vote for the best posts are the ones mentioning moderation.

1955 likes this.
  17. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Think about all the cool gear you could buy with all that fast food money !
    You don t have to go full tofu right away, maybe try to cut down a bit, and then once a week have a burger.

Or you could ask some friends to show up at your place, and cook some fajitas, enchilladas... or whatever you want. This way it ll seem nicer to have a meal with friends than a burger on your own. I m not a doctor though.

1955 likes this.
  18. Poppa54

Poppa54 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Same here. Cutting carbs, adding exercise really is the key.
    Trouble is all of the meals we have to participate in around holidays lol.

BorderRadio and 1955 like this.
  19. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

If I don't buy it, I don't eat it
    If it's around, I eat it
    If I cheat once, it's back to square 1
    If I don't cheat I get ripped quick

20. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

One problem is years of tough shows and long drives gigging, I would reward with Fast food. Seemed to make me feel good after a crazy day/nights work, which is really usually a 10-14 hour days work, sometimes more, but at least I don't drive more than a state or so away now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.