1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. headly21

headly21 TDPRI Member

We are "hardwired" to crave the very ingredients (salt, sugar, fat, etc.) that comprise fast food because those ingredients were, in our relatively recent past, scarce and are, in limited quantities, still required for our bodies to function properly. Now that these ingredients are plentiful, cheap, and easily accessible, our biology has not caught up with our technology. You are no more an addict than any other normal human.

Sent from my SM-J700T using TDPRI mobile app

Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  2. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Everyone seems to be an expert on healthy eating, cos a fad diet worked for a few. But we still got more fat people than ever.

Wheat is not addictive. It's sugar. Sugar is the worst, most destructive legal white powder ever made. Sugar is in practically everything processed, and that includes bread and buns, and all manner of so-called healthy foods like yoghurt. Virtually everything is labelled in most western countries - you can check the sugar and fat levels. If something processed is low fat or no fat, you can bet it's huge on sugar - that's how they get the taste into low fat processed food. Add a spoon or two in a few coffees a day, or 'sports' drinks and sodas, and you're eating way too much.

Don't blame big food, the FDA or any other "conspiracy" which are just plain old food marketing to the ignorant masses. Educate yourself, turn off the TV and keep it simple. Buy less or no processed stuff. Make your own meals more, reduce your portion sizes - far too many people are eating meals portioned for two people and thinking it's normal.

Beware low fat processed product. Fat is not the devil, neither are carbohydrates, both are important to healthy metabolism. Sugar has virtually no redeeming healthy features, you only need a little.

Colors, 1955 and headly21 like this.
  3. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

Unixfish is right about eating carbs with fats. The carbs spike the insulin and the insulin packs the fats straight into the cells. That is why paleo, adkins, and all those protein and fat onlt diets work.

1955 likes this.
  4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately until you see healthy body and lifestyle above culinary pleasure you are doomed to fail.

1955 likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ever notice on nutrition labels that sugar is listed in grams, but no % recommended daily allowance, like ever other item on the label? This was forced through heavy lobbying and big money.

Part of the problem is that many single serving items are above 100% USRDA for sugar. No company wants this truth to be seen. So they lobby to ensure that information is never available.

1955 likes this.
  6. headly21

headly21 TDPRI Member

The right carbs, that is, complex and high fiber, are much better for you than an exclusive meat + high-fat diet. I realized the difficulty in arguing against the following article:
    http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html

Sent from my SM-J700T using TDPRI mobile app

1955 likes this.
  7. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Carbs are not the problem. If there weren't an excess of sugar in people's diets and large portion sizes, along with people believing food is the answer, without exercise, we wouldn't even be making carbs an issue.

Carbs break down to sugars for energy. If we don't use that energy, it creates fat. Natural sugars are found in fruit, dairy, vegetables, legumes and other whole foods. Fructose is a simple carbohydrate sugar in fruit.

We get all the sugar we need from these healthy foods, which contain many more vital and healthy components. Anyone can eat a diet of good fats, carbs and fresh food, and lose weight - it they also move their butts and do something regularly. But most people are dumber'n a hammer and that's why the weight loss industry is as big as the sugar selling one.

1955 and headly21 like this.
  8. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I do not enjoy eating, really.

telefunken likes this.
  9. trber

trber Tele-Meister

1. Research probiotics
    2. Consider taking some
    3. Read Fast Food Nation

1955 likes this.
  10. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Exactly... When I tell people that, they think I'm strange. It's almost a necessary burden.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    1955 likes this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Read "Fitness Confidential", by Vinny Tortorich

and

"Deep Nutrition " by Catherine Shanahan M.D.

or

Just stop eating carbs and sugars, which is what I did. Dieting does not work, changing your diet and lifestyle does. I'm 53 and I'm wearing the same waist size pants as I did in high school and living with my GF who is 17 years younger than me.

I was never fat for my height, but when I was having back trouble, my doctor suggested that I lose 10-15 pounds to take a little pressure of my spine. He told me about metabolic syndrome and the evils of carbs, so I listened to him and lost 50 pounds and got skinny. I feel at least 20 years younger and my back issues are almost non-existent.

We eat meat and cheese and vegetables, no bread, no sugar, very rarely have carbs like pasta and when we do we always regret it. You just have to get the bad stuff out of your diet, once you become skilled at shopping and cooking healthy meals, it's no hardship at all.

1955 likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Right on brother, I HAVE TO DIE. I DON'T HAVE TO DIE HUNGRY!

headly21 and 1955 like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

You might wanna glass of water then.

1955 likes this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, man! I am SO getting that on a T-shirt!

1955 and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I'd rather have this pancake on my head if I could figure out how to reach it. Carrots yuk!

[​IMG]

1955 likes this.
  16. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same problem, but I've found a great method of dealing with it. Basically, I look at the problem as a short term decission making problem, where I just need to survive not making a bad decision. When I have to take my kids to McDonald's, instead of getting little or what they call a healthy choice, I get nothing as its easier for me to survive that decision rather trying to make the best of no good decissions. I also know that the hunger is only going to last for 30 to 60 minutes.

Most of the time I carry jerky and clif bars so I can make the hunger a little more bearable.

I'm convinced that the significance of the hunger is corrolated with how many carbs I am used to eating. So, keeping a good balance of carbs, proteins and fats makes those short term decisions very doable. BTW, carbs are needed, so Adkins-like fad stuff only works for a little while the key is balance - for me its roughly in grams and calories:
    (Carbs-fiber)*4 <= proteins
    And,
    Fats*6 <=calories

Like a 12 step program, take it one decision ar a time, one day at a time, don't sweat the decisions you'll have tomorrow, the only decisions that matter are the one you are making right now.

Also, I do this for breakfast and lunch, for dinner, I simply eat half as much as I want.... once every week of so eat a very high fat very high protein meal and disregard the carbs (i.e. go out for stake/Mexican...)

I've lost at one point over 100 lbs in one stint over 8 months - 70 lbs without and exercise at all durring that time. Also, if you do exercise, don't proportionally eat more as a result - exercise keeps one from gaining weight, but does not directly help one to lose weight unless one is young and can sustain a long sustained cardio program.

1955 likes this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I really don't like fast food much. With one exception: pizza. And I'm not giving it up.

1955 likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

I prefer anything greasy, put salt on my food before tasting it, including watermelon and oranges. I'm six years older than dirt already. I'm not sure eating has anything at all to do with living longer.

P.S. I like your style though, snuck one of them shill things under the radar for your "Mediterranean" cook books didn't ya?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

1955 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Man you oughta be in show business. There's some serious justification for a double cheese burger right there!

headly21 and 1955 like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I love my wife dearly, that is the only thing that allows me to eat the healthy food things she seems compelled to cook now and then. I always eat enough of whatever it is not to offer insult, knowing all the while it's only a short two and a half mile drive to that biscuits and gravy joint.

1955 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.