1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Right there is the underlying problem!

Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

"Going to the store and buying apples and berries and mangos and good veggies is far more gratifying than eating drive through French fries.
    Blackberries taste better than French fries. Give it a try for one week. You'll crave better stuff"
    Thats crazy talk son, plumb crazy :confused:

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I'll take another angle. Add up all of your fast food purchases for a month. Burgers, coffees, donuts, bagels, sodas, fries, Subway whatever. Keep all of your receipts and total them. Divide it by 4. That number is how much you can spend weekly in a grocery store buying fresh food. Your savings buys a Telecaster in one year.....easy.

xafinity, Henry and 1955 like this.
  4. Stringbanger

Thanks for the TMI.:D

I just had an urge to go do 50 push-ups!
    IMG_1286.GIF

5. Stringbanger

Do a small bowl, okay?

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's just the most frightening gif I may have seen. I've got a couple little grand daughters her age and it's not a stretch to imagine that dog reacting with a full on face chew....eeeeshhh!:)

7. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Unix, you said, "Nobody can out-run the standard American diet". What exactly is that? It would seem that 55's problem probably lies somewhere in that definition. I'm a big fan of the standard Mediterranean diet. Tastes great, cheap and easy to access and a lot of people reckon you live longer (lots of gluten though).

8. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

You could check out overeaters anonymous. You don't have to be big and fat to attend.

1955 likes this.
  9. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I thought Ramen style noodles was a bad part of a diet?
    Care to educate me please?

1955 likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

While that's tempting, I'll just offer that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I eat what I want. I'm kinda self-regulating... when I get a few pounds I don't want, it's uncomfortable, and ... I voluntarily skip a few meals, have smaller portions, generally eat less.

Perhaps I should eat more salads, but I don't like salad very much, except as a thing to spread out the cheese and perhaps bits of lunchmeat chopped up in it. Maybe a hard-boiled egg. Slathered in dressing. Maybe I shouldn't eat salads at all!

I know people that do this, then do that, then ... it's always something. I just keep on eating what tastes good. Sometimes it's (good) Chinese take out, or Thai. Sometimes Taco Bell. OK, I don't really care for that, but it's easy, and I have a difficult health situation where I cannot cook much at all. So, take out a lot. And our favorite Tex Mex place closed after 20 years. Dang it, now what am I gonna eat?

Someone was coaching me to eat well the other day, and I said, yeah well, I don't, so sue me, but then I realized I don't eat badly at all. 4-5 pieces of fruit daily. Lots of water. Toast with apricot preserves for breakfast. Then usually no lunch, just an early dinner, quite simple (or take out), and maybe a yogurt later in the evening. Oh, did I forget to mention cookies and pastry? Yeah...

Point is, if you're not comfortable with it, then change it. But don't suffer someone else's discomfort just because "everyone's doing it". And like @soulgeezer said, if you aren't comfortable, and yet still won't change, then be OK with the consequences. That does seem a bit self-destructive, to me.

1955 likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Ironically, I got distracted and forgot to get some!

1955 likes this.
  12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Very helpful stuff here, thanks!

Last night I just did grilled chicken and green beans from the frozen food section. Not perfect, but better.

I also didn't eat right before I went to bed, I ate dinner at 7 and that was it.

I think I slept better.

This morning I did a protein and probiotic mixed greens powder shake with v8 greens juice and cranberry juice and a little fiber.

13. georgeojeda

georgeojeda TDPRI Member

I too like junk food.

xafinity and 1955 like this.
  14. Maggot

Maggot Tele-Afflicted

Sr

15. hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565 Tele-Meister

And sugar. My wife and I watched a movie last weekend called Fed Up. It's basically about how sugar can be 15 times more addictive than cocaine. And how the food industry gets away with what it's doing.

1955 likes this.
  16. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

Insulin is a very addictive drug that makes us fell peaceful and content. Eating more than 250 calories at a time spikes our insulin. Fast food addiction is often insulin addiction.

Gettin off fast food is only part of it. Getting the body to accept lower insulin levels will reduce weight gain, but not provide the feel-good part of eating.

If the impulse to eat is tied to the need to feel cozy and well, then recognizing that impulse to eat can serve as a reminder to seek a better way to feel emotionally safe. In other words, decoupling the emotional need from the hunger and repurposing the urge to eat into a reminder to check in with one's emotional state and use that as an exit sign to get off the insulin highway. Do 250 or fewer calories and check in with your stress instead of packing away 2K calories and getting a food buzz.

By treating hunger as a need for food only, and not a way to avoid stress, the diet becomes about adding good fuel to the machine, and not opening the medicine cabinet for a drug.

studio, 1955, unixfish and 1 other person like this.
  17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is a popular train of thought that "if I eat my usual, I can just run a few extra miles to burn it off". We are quickly getting to a point with simple carbohydrate loaded processed foods with high fat and salts that you can no longer run far enough to burn off what you are taking in. Hence, "you cannot out-run the standard American diet".

The worst thing you can do is mix high carb - especially simple carbs - with high fat. High fat by itself with little to no carbs is actually ideal, as long as you stick to good fats and mix in protein. The "40% grains" that we have been told since the 60's was not based on science, but on contributions to the group that was defining the guidelines. AKA, the food pyramid was based on which industry donated how much. That scale was supposed to be a "starting point" to establish a baseline - but once the info got out there, it became "law" and it was re-taught, and it stuck.

The AMA (American Medical Association) now will not go back on that, because they are afraid of someone saying "But you have been telling us something else for 50 years - were you wrong? Why should I trust you now?" and losing funding as a result. Big money always wins out over good health.

Big money is dictating the American diet. You cannot out-run big money.

Wallo Tweed and 1955 like this.
  18. unixfish

That is a great documentary. It's available on NetFlix if anyone wants to see it.

1955 likes this.
  19. unixfish

This was one of my earlier points - "divorce yourself from the romance of food, and only eat as nourishment."

I think @Pisgah said it better - or was a bit more clear on the point!

Sure, if you make a dish you enjoy (and is still good for you), look forward to it. But don't ever get to the point that you want to eat something you really enjoy every meal and look forward to every meal. This just leads to the addition of the feeling you get from eating, and that never gets you anywhere good.

1955 likes this.
  20. unixfish

There are just so many "healthy" variants of classic meals people enjoy as well.

Example: Last week, my wife wanted sausage and sauerkraut. Traditionally, you put that over mashed potatoes - but potatoes are a starch and a no-no. So I steamed a head of cauliflower, mashed it, added a bit of butter and cream, and made mashed cauliflower to put sausage and sauerkraut on. It's really good, and very low carb.

When you get rid of carbs, you are also not hungry as much, so you tend to eat less and don't want to snack. It's "funny" how bad foods make you want more, and good foods make you want less.

Guitarteach and 1955 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.