1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Carrot sticks or baby carrots are nice too... I will pick up a bag when doing long road trips in the US. Nibble on em. They can be sweet enough to satisfy a sugar craving too.

They are also nice dipped, along with celery batons, in a hot salsa. Healthier than corn chips.

Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

"I'm addicted to food that is bad for me,"
    What makes you think its 'bad' for you? Is it bad for you or do you just eat too much?

1955 likes this.
  3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I recently developed my own diet program and I've lost 30 lbs.
    I'm thinking of writing a book.
    It's called the SESMYBFB Diet, which stands for Stop Eating So Much You Big Fat Bastard.
    It totally works.
    Kinda seriously...it takes a huge amount of will.
    I think the will is a muscle...work it in other areas and it gets stronger.
    I quit smoking over a pack a day for 20 years...cold turkey...but I wanted one ALL THE TIME for the next 17 years.
    I think that strengthened my will enough to allow me to start smoking 1-2 a day.
    The food thing is tough...I'd still like to drop about 30 more pounds...I'm 5'8" 180#.
    The junk food thing is STRONG.
    I think the best way to stop a habit is the way Smoke Enders does it.
    Break your patterns.
    Switch brands.
    If you eat the moment you pick up the phone, wait until you hang up.
    The habit body is strong.
    Other than that...counseling.
    Pills don't do it.
    It's you and your behavior.
    It sounds simplistic, but how about not buying it in the first place.
    Watch the movie Supersize Me.

2 Headed Goat and 1955 like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just say NO to drugs.........and Big Macs and Super Size Fries. LOL

1955 likes this.
  5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

What worked for me is that year before last, within the span of about a month, six weeks or so, two friends had heart attacks. They survived, but it was not a lot of fun. I quit eating junk food. Quit eat bad snacks. I keep fruit in the house for snacks now. I eat healthier and exercise. I lost a bunch of weight. I feel much better. And last time I went to the docs, my cholesterol was way down and my blood pressure was much healthier.

So I guess my advice is to have friends have heart attacks.

1955 likes this.
  6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Watch the documentary "Super Size Me." Or do what my friend Rick did. Go on doing it until your doctor warns you. Then ignore your doctor until he tells you a health crisis is imminent. Then think seriously about for a while, and then ignore that advice. Then have a health crisis, nearly die, and have major surgery that saves your life. Then keep on eating fast food, and get high blood pressure so bad that you wind up losing your sight.

None of that is made up or exaggerated. It all happened to him. It's an article unrelated to this, and doesn't mention when he almost died in the mid 90's, but it will verify I'm not making it up.

http://keranews.org/post/after-45-years-reading-radio-resource-ends-local-production

1955 likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fate. If it is written you will eat Big Macs, who I am to doubt?

1955 likes this.
  8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I lost 60lbs and kept it off for 4 years now doing this.

1955 likes this.
  9. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes you can. To break that cycle, you have to stop eating the stuff that makes you want more. Stop eating the sugars/simple carbs and you'll eventually stop craving them. Just don't eat them. If there's nothing but that stuff around, don't eat. Feeling hungry for a few hours won't kill you. You are in control of what goes in your body. Food is fuel - don't eat because your bored or driving or watching a movie - you really are in control.

1955 likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gluten was my main issue - I have an allergy or a sensitivity or something. Once I figured that out, I quit eating gluten and all grains.

Know what? A lot changed.

I never had a strong sense of smell. I quit gluten, and now I smell everything.

Many aches and pains disappeared - before significant weight came off.

Sinus issues all be disappeared.

Blood pressure dropped - before significant weight came off.

Colon polyps stopped growing. My last colonoscopy was clean.

Irritation in the colon tract went away - my doctor was amazed, and switched me from the 3 year to the 5 year plan.

The almost nightly heartburn went away. I almost never have it now, unless I overdo hot sauce.

There were a lot of other improvements as well.

The cause was gluten and / or wheat. Not only is is addictive, it is also a source of inflammation. Inflammation raises the blood pressure and accounts for the other issues that went away as well.

Read the book Wheat Belly. Scary stuff this grain is.

1955 likes this.
  11. unixfish

There are a number of you who have said "Eat less, don't make drastic changes." If that works for you, that is a good thing, and you are lucky. Not everyone can tolerate the American diet and stay healthy. Many are becoming addicts to wheat and processed sugar, and the food industry is pushing that - HARD. They want you to be a sugar addict, then catch diabetes, and become drug dependent for the rest of your life. This is why the food and pharmaceutical industries support each other with recommendations of bad food - it is a built in system of life long profit.

Some never have the issues other do. Some never become addicted. If you truly are not, you are truly lucky. But please - don't preach that "just cut back a bit and exercise more" is the solution; it only works for some. You cannot exercise enough to burn off today's processed foods.

Nobody can out out-run the standard American diet. ​

And we are trying to influence the rest of the world with our crap approach to food and medicine.

The USA is about 5% of the world population. The USA takes 75% of the drugs produced in the world. We are not healthier than everyone else.

Everyone - everywhere - beware.

1955 likes this.
  12. unixfish

Uh, @1955, can you tell you hit a nerve / hot button issue?

1955 likes this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, awesome stuff, haven't had a chance to look over all posts yet, thank you guys!

14. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

bodybuilding in elevators?...school me
    how overweight are you?.....as a big guy getting smaller..here to help...not shame

1955 likes this.
  15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The issue of what to drink other than sugary, carbonated or alcohol drinks is tough for me. I drink a lot of black coffee before noon. I drink water at meals. In the evening I drink Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea or Sleepytime Extra. But if I go to a bar or party, drinking water or whatever is boring. The healthy diet ain't always fun.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    1955 likes this.
  16. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Couldn't resist…

xafinity and 1955 like this.
  17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

The bodybuilder elevator thing is an old joke here, I'm probably 20 lbs over

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Going to the store and buying apples and berries and mangos and good veggies is far more gratifying than eating drive through French fries.

Blackberries taste better than French fries. Give it a try for one week. You'll crave better stuff.

1955 likes this.
  19. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I've gone through very healthy phases, it's just insane to know what I know and yet for some reason I eat bad stuff.

I used to use a blender and put fruit and raw vegetables in there, I was hardcore about fitness and healthy food.

I really appreciate the encouragement!

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Ima go eat a ice cream now.

But don't you do it!

1955 and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.