1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Curing fast food addiction

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 30, 2017.

1. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

My blood pressure was a little to high. First I ditched soft bread. Dont know what you call hard bread in english. That had the positive effect that I dont eat bread just becase is tastes good. I eat my two sandwiches and Im done. Next I droped sugar in my coffe. Soft drinks was next on my list.
    But a big problem is that I dont have any good alternatives. i dont like many of the alternatives....and that is the trick. Find better alternatives that you do like.
    I used to drink 1,5l aspartan soft drink every day. I was definitly addicted....craved it when I gave it upp (10 days).
    Ive lost a few kilos and my blood pressure is better. And I wasn't on any diet. I changed my habits. I hope to continue down this path...

Rayner, Toto'sDad and 1955 like this.
  2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

It's the salts and sugars in that kind of food that keeps people coming back. Plus the psychological aspects that you've placed on food in general.

Find a savory tasting healthy something to eat when you're feeling like to need to put something in your mouth. Then you can start to work on the psychological components after you've substituted the 'bad food.'

1955 likes this.
  3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I don't drink at least

Toto'sDad and the_lyall like this.
  4. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

My wife is too good a cook for me to eat fast food more than once a week. Get a good wife....
    Or pick up smoking....
    Just kidding, it's all up to you buddy, you have to reach inside and find that inner strength.

1955 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I saw some documentary that was really graphic about slaughterhouses and stuff, cows being killed, it was gross.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. I was getting blurry vision and having other symptoms --that was enough to get my diet in shape. I'm too young to have it, I know, blame bad genes, and I know people in their 30s who died from it. Scared straight.

I'm now on a all-bacon diet and I'm so much healthier....

Poppa54, 1955 and unixfish like this.
  7. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

That's a damn good start :)

I would advise (from experience) staying away from any diet that promises a quick answer or quick results. Sure it might be true, but can you really stick to a diet of celery and dust? Fast food is delicious that's the problem. If you can find a way to slightly reduce your daily calorie intake in a way that you can stick to - maybe just one or two food substitutions - it'll help. No need to cut out fast food altogether. It's good to have a fix now and then :)

I'm not an expert though, just my thoughts on the matter. You got this!

1955 likes this.
  8. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Ok I searched it, it's a tv show, but I have never seen it. Did they steal my line haha

9. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

As if I needed any persuasion to have an all-bacon diet. I'm in!

Every Christmas I get at least two gifts that mention bacon somewhere. I think I might have a problem.

BorderRadio and 1955 like this.
  10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

1955 likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

yes, if you can, change your daily schedule, especially your locations

it feels good *not* to be in sugar metabolism all the time, but not at first -- at first, it's hard

so if your willpower is the problem, make it more difficult for yourself to be in a position where it collapses

so: change where you move during the day

1955 likes this.
  12. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know where you live, but not having access to a variety of choices can be a hindrance to healthy eating. I'm blessed to live and work in a place that has an incredible variety of restaurants, food trucks, and cuisine from every corner of the world.

1955 likes this.
  13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I really have to lose some weight ,about 4 stone .I once joked to my doc and guitar playing friend that the way to do it is to cold turkey .It worked on smoking .He told me I would die .We get on well even though he owns outrageously expensive guitars .I was mulling it all over and sudden thought well I could cold turkey the naughty bits .I was a sucker for biccys ,white bread choccy bars,casual grazing between meals .Why not cold turkey that lot .so I did .Only losing it slowly but thats how you do it, a pound at time .Lost about 6 LBS in 5 weeks so its working even allowing for my wifes must have Christmas cake and a few mince pies over the festivities and I also am starting to feel less hungry and starting to eat less of everything .Still a fat git but less of one.The thing is cold turkey means just that.You dont replace it with anything else.
    So cold turkey all that crap even if its just the fries to start with and fast food is crap .I did eat a fairly healthy diet any way apart from my naughties ,which did baffle the medics as my choresterol is low .My doc liked the partial cold turkey approach .My first aim is to fit my London calling Springsteen T without it stretching over my gut like an overtensioned drum skin .

1955 likes this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

White Castle. Most people say it's not real food, anyway. (But, it is really, really good!!!)

1955 likes this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Chillis... proved the winner for me.

I know where you've been with bad diet (hotel, planes, biz meetings, etc). I was a climber and alpine mountaineer in my youth, making it even more embarrassing to lose control over my weight and diet.

I chose to pursue 'flavour' over the other unhealthy superficial things a couple of years ago.

A nice stir fry with fresh hot chilli slows you down but fills your senses - it makes less seem so much more.

You mention the addiction feeling.. my response was therefore a very planned mind trick.

I made it a lifestyle thing. I started growing my own chillis, storing and saving them, keeping a freezer tray full for year round use. I now crave my healthy and hot specials and can still eat something unhealthy once a week. The gardening and making my own compost gets me outside for weeks every year too.

Stir fry is a fave with steamed rice.

[​IMG]

My fave ramen style soup is amazing flavour. Super simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dented, 1955, Steve 78 and 2 others like this.
  16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only way to change is to change.

Force yourself to eat lean protein (lots), good fats (lots) and tons of negative calorie veggies, salads and such.

At the same time start getting daily exercise and progressively more intense. Walking is great, biking is fun. Just do a little more every few days.

That's about it. You'll find that in one to two weeks you actually are satisfied with what you are eating and even CRAVE it. You'll also start to look forward to the long walks or bike rides as well. It works...

17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but I have learned how to make my own. And what's worse is that it taste better than the original.

1955 likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You spit on your own burger?!

2 Headed Goat, 1955 and Steve 78 like this.
  19. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Wow, that looks like some good ingredients about to become wonderful food!
    I could not get fat on that kind of food....where is the beer?
    My wife has some great eating habits and they have changed the way I eat ( not always...).
    The hot chili peppers do something that I don't understand but I love the effect on my body. I feel great after eating HOT chili peppers.

1955 likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Simple, practical tip -

Keep a bag of apples everywhere. Car, home, office. When you get a craving, eat an apple. Amazing how satisfying they are.
    They take some chewing, so by the time you are done, the craving passes.

Now, I would guess you can't eat 5-10 apples a day indefinitely. But I would guess even if you eat 3-5 for awhile, breaking the connection between hunger and "junk," it should be fine. Check with your doc and all that.

I found that I was craving "something" and "chewing". After employing the apple trick for awhile, I didn't crave "junk" (it made me feel like crap and tasted like crap). I craved an apple. Fast food wasn't my downfall, but same principle.

Once I broke the connection, I expanded to bananas. Woo hoo. Way lower calories and way more nutrition per capita in an apple or banana, than a bag of chips or a burrito. Who knew?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.