1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cure my Daphne Blues

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Donald_Cobain, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Donald_Cobain

Donald_Cobain NEW MEMBER!

Guys,

My daphne blue is way too light for my tastes. Like powder blue vs. a little greenish yellow. Amber tints seem to make these seafoam green which I don't want. I am going to relic this also. See my photo that shows the light blue and the darker blue I actually want.

I played in photoshop to see what transparent color tones did, and by adding a seafoam green layer that's semi-transparent transformed this light blue to what I want.

Of course paint and photoshop are not the same but...I do believe if I had some rub-on color tint gel in seafoam green, I would have more luck keeping this more blue while making it darker and aged looking.

I don't own sprayers, so if you were in my shoes what would you try? I need DIY type creative suggestions, like shoepolish or wood stain gel or whatever I can wipe on and wipe off and leave a tint without streaks or dark spots on any imperfection in the wood surface. I thought of misting it with a mossy seafoam green super super light and maybe it'd have a similar effect, but likely not if it has no transparency. Thanks! guitar.jpg

2. gb Custom Shop

gb Custom Shop TDPRI Member

Personally I use Craftnique (Crystalac) pigments, and you can mix the ratios of colour yourself to get the desired colour you want. They have a few different bases you can mix the pigment into: gel stain (transparent), universal white (opaque), clear coat. They also have grain filler, sanding sealer, etc to help you with the finishing process.

The gel stain base works just fine rubbed on with an old t-shirt. It lays down thicker with a foam brush. And can also be more opaque with built up coats. I prefer to spray the universal white base, but it can be rubbed on with a t-shirt also. To avoid streaks, I try to minimize as much back and forth with the cloth (i.e. lay it down and work it in with just a few passes).

Based on the photo you posted, I think a couple drops of yellow will add a bit of a seafoam tint.

Going this route can be a bit of an investment of their various products, and may not be a quick fix if that's what you're after. Nonetheless it's an idea to consider! If you plan to do several guitars, then I definitely recommend their products.

3. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I have the same problem.

If I could ever find just the right shade of blue, I'd have a light blue Tele :).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.