Cure Eczema with Diet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Curious if anyone has?
    Or other homeopathic remedies rather than the “treat it with chemicals” option.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The thing about treat it with chemicals is that they know that it works and was causal. Repeatably. And why.

Not saying other paths can't work. But it is difficult to separate correlation, causation, coincidence, anecdote, placebo, denial, etc.

beninma, Fretting out, Stubee and 4 others like this.
  3. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Nothing natural will stop eczema. I get it sporadically. Nothing works like Triamcinolone Acetonide; ask your dermatologist or physician to prescribe a 0.1% solution. Don't get sucked in by these charlatans promoting "natural" cures and treatments.

beninma, 41144, dented and 4 others like this.
  4. Tele-beeb

I appreciate the early replies… it seems to point to chemical treatment. I am not against that… but, I want to use the steroid as little as possible due to other weakness. If I can acquire even a reduction due to something environmental I am open to trying? Really thanks though.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you already following the advice to cease use of all personal care products, soaps, lotions except true hypoallergenic ones? The one I'm aware of is Vanicream (which they seem to use in many prescription preparations because it is non-reactive to people's skin)?

That seems to make a big preventative difference (not complete). As does taking longer, lukewarm showers, patting dry instead of rubbing and applying thick layer of vanicream lotion while still a bit damp.

But once it kicks in. Yeah, I resisted the TA way too long.

Tele-beeb and TokyoPortrait like this.
  6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

Check out the anti-inflammation diets. That has helped me. Green tea in the morning. Turmeric tea is good too. Just look up anti inflammation diet. Tom Brady swears by it.

boneyguy, Rockinvet, Deeve and 5 others like this.
  7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I used to get bad eczema breakouts when I was young and nothing really worked other than topical steroid ointments.

You could try an anti-inflammatory diet and see if that helps. For other health reasons unrelated to eczema I have been moving towards a stricter anti-inflammatory Mediterranean diet and the closer I stick to it the better I feel overall. To be clear, I don't think it would stop eczema, but it's worth a shot and is a very healthy diet regardless.

8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As someone dealing with this since childhood I can say that, by all means get a prescription. At the same time, you may be able to reduce the need for it with a balanced diet and supplements. For daily supplements I have a multivitamin, B complex, C, and E. I also add flax oil for the good fat, (omega 3, essential fatty acid).

Avoid food and drink that causes inflammation. Try to keep caffeine and alcohol intake low. It destroys vitamins B complex and C. I've also gone to mostly green tea. Coffee only occasionally.

As for lotions, I found I have to avoid the ones with lanolin because it doesn't allow the skin to breathe. Same with clothing - only natural for me, like 100% cotton. Polyester doesn't breathe.

Everyone's needs are a little different, but experiment. Do your research.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry. There are no homeopathic cures for anything and nothing "natural" that will cure, or even manage eczema. Treatments start with cortisone to more potent corticosteroids to biologics, which are really immune suppressant drugs. Exposure to sun helps some people in the summer but as we all know, that's not without risks. The only suggestion I can offer is to use topical corticosteroids sparingly. Apply them only to the affected area in the smallest amount that is effective. I've recently started blood thinners and discovered in the first week that corticosteroids thin the skin and scratching leads to bleeding that sometimes has to be covered to stop. If your treatment needs are greater than OTC medications can provide, get a referral for a good dermatologist from an MD you trust.

beninma and Tele-beeb like this.
  10. Vibroluxer

Vibroluxer Tele-Meister

When my son was younger he had horrible eczema and our Doc prescribed
    Elidel cream. Its not a steroid and helped immensely

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Anti inflammatory diets work wonders.

But you have to go all in or it won’t do anything. One cheat and the whole experiment is ruined.

99.9% of people don’t have the self control to successfully do an elimination diet.

P Thought, Tele-beeb, koen and 3 others like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I have had eczema for over a decade now.

No chemical treatment has worked very well or very long; temporary fixes at best, and usually the symptoms return with a vengeance as soon as I stop taking the chemical/pharmaceutical treatment.

The best control I’ve had is cutting gluten out of my diet. I eat a lot of anti-inflammatory foods. I periodically do a lemon juice cleanse, which helps immensely, but you can’t live like that (doing a cleanse constantly).

This week is a good week for my skin:

image.jpg image.jpg

It gets much, much worse.

RhythmFender, Tele-beeb and drewg like this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Yeah, I’ll second those that say there’s no diet cure.

But, as has also been mentioned, certain foods can aggravate. In my case, it can be intense - the raw juice of certain vegetables on my skin can cause blisters if I’m cycling particularly itchy at the time (goodbye cooking career), but just in more general terms there are things that make it worse for me and avoiding them can help a lot.

Just a pity it’s typically either things I love or in the things I love…

Anyway, keeping track of what you’re eating and what happens might be a good idea, to help you figure out what to avoid.

Good luck.

Pax/
    Dean

black_doug and Tele-beeb like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not as confident as you in the chemicals WRT "them" knowing it works or even understanding causality.

Eczema is not the more serious psoriatic arthritis, which it may be confused with.
    A doctor is useful when one is sick!
    But not the only source of wellness.
    Many medical solutions are based on the lazy patient whose habits caused the sickness.
    Docs know that telling patients to change the bad habits that made them sick is a poor treatment.
    And yet it may be the best treatment.

Not saying I know the cure only that I've seen too chemical treatments that were just as speculative as other paths.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I have a pal who drank a lot of Bud, his exczema was bad. It got a lot better when he quit drinking.
    I don’t drink much mass market beer, but noticed an itching whenever I do.

No science was harmed in forming this opinion!

Tele-beeb, drewg and telemnemonics like this.
  16. Tele-beeb

Thanks Fiesta Red, I am clicking like for the reply. I believe the non-gluten idea.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i mean, have alopecia areata, which is autoimmune. and totally random when it hits. if the stupid crap i read about rubbing garlic on my bald spots or eliminating stuff like caffeine from my diet actually worked, shouldn't we have easily figured this out 1000s of years ago by now?

ineffective/compromise known vs totally unknown. it's just a numbers game.

beninma, Tele-beeb and telemnemonics like this.
  18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

GIGO - garbage in garbage out.

boneyguy, Tele-beeb and 57joonya like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure but there are still plenty of home remedies that work (like garlic for gals yeast infections) and are not suggested by doctors, while doctors do prescribe stuff they admit they don't know if it works and in some cases even admit that in all the times they prescribed it they can't recall it working.

Spend a few years studying up on a range of treatments from 1000s of years ago that are either not suggested by doctors because it's not approved/ not patented/ not profitable; OR, it IS prescribed today but in an altered patented synthetic form.

Doctors still claim to not understand the many digestive problems of today, some of which have names that describe the symptoms, and docs prescribe treatments for the symptoms that do nothing for the underlying unhealthy gut.
    Interestingly an unhealthy gut leads to many other diseases.
    Even more interestingly, many treatments of one disease create disease in the gut that then delivers several new maladies in need of treatment.

kbold and Tele-beeb like this.
  20. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

My wife manages her autoimmune disease with meds and diet. The anti-inflammatory diet helps, but it wouldn't keep it in remission alone. The meds do more than diet.

As for an objection to "chemicals," water is a chemical. Vegetables are made of chemicals. You, my friend, are also made of chemicals.

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.