CuNiFe Iridescence?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CWP0126, Sep 1, 2019.

1. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I have two 1970s WRHBs that I’m loading into a MIM Thinline, and during the process of setting up the pickguard I had to use a magnifying lamp to see what was going on.

Here is the setup:

F19B3D7B-007E-48C7-9FC4-F44841B7FF07.jpeg

This thing has a couple dozen LEDs running around the glass, and no heat.

I noticed the threaded pole pieces were throwing off rainbow halos, and no, no outside help:p

None of my other guitars could duplicate this.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    bender66 and Clifton C like this.
  2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

D65349E3-B207-4B4A-B3FF-4F674545F6C8.jpeg 2675AFAF-5C6B-4798-8DA7-02C01A193E82.jpeg B5F29B5C-B807-48FF-AB62-0B60C6452DDB.jpeg 9D184A3E-89E9-482A-9DA2-1F4B52C22A12.jpeg 1A5746E3-EBF1-46F2-BFF7-E5BBFACB9E05.jpeg 5DF30290-EADA-48DC-895F-2CE58986010F.jpeg

3. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Sorry about the lame pics, there is no way to capture the iridescence that comes off of these with a camera.

Some look like little mirrors, others like gems.

I’ve never seen other pole pieces look like this at all, just wondering if it’s a CuNiFe thing or something other pickups do that I have just never seen before.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

It's probably just the magnifying lens that's playing games with you.
    is it even real glass or some sort of plastic?

CWP0126 likes this.
  5. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

One of the pickups was rewound by Castswhisker Pickups, that’s why it has the grey/black lead.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I see a lot of machining chatter -- which would give the similar effect to flamed and quilted maple.
    Brittle material and poor work holding would contribute to chatter -- probably why they discontinued using that material (which induced the higher cost)

The bands of colors look like heat effected welding zones -- which can happen in machining with a lot of friction/drag and cutter heat build up. They may have had trouble clearing chips, bad coolant flood, or more going on.

You can see similar color on these chips. Properly set up lath speeds and feeds puts all the heat into the chips keeping the part cool. Improperly set up lathe cutting sends heat into the part and similar color scorching happens on the part.

[​IMG]

JL_LI, aerhed and CWP0126 like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

One of the reasons for choosing cunife was it was more machinable than alnico which not only doesn't like heat but powders when machined. Obviously it's marginal for machining.

You'd think cobalt was more likely to irradiate, given one of the reasons for the swap from alnico was the use of cobalt for h-bombs. It was a strategic material as most of the known reserves were behind the iron curtain.

CWP0126 likes this.
  8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

unobtanium rules!

bender66 and CWP0126 like this.
  9. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hi @Alamo,

It’s plastic, but I can see the effect without looking through the lens.

It has something to do with how they were machined I guess, and the intensity of the LEDs. They are extremely bright.

I couldn’t see the effect with a regular flashlight or a black light either. Weird!

Alamo likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The LED's might be adding to it too. I notice the lighting is different in areas where my LED's are aimed.

Someone gave me a nice overhead light pulled from a dentists chair/office I think? I haven't used it yet but I imagine it'll be hot as all get out. I'd love to find a magnifying LED like yours.

CWP0126 likes this.
  11. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

bender66 likes this.
  12. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

That’s the MOJO emitting!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CWP0126 and Matthias like this.
  13. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

So the braided lead on the non rewound pickup apparently has an intermittent short or open. It cuts in and out when the wire is jiggled around. Has anyone changed one of these leads, and is it a major pain? Can I just order some replacement wire and solder it in myself, or would I be better off sending it out to a pro? Also, I assume this is the correct replacement wire for these, am I right?

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...MIxvWgrOyy5AIVxODICh2V7QJZEAQYAiABEgLLDPD_BwE

Thanks for the help everyone!

14. Dacious

The braided wire is a coax with a single centre wire. The braid is soldered to the bottom plate, one wire from a coil is too then the two coils are jumpered so they are in series. Then the centre wire is soldered to the other coil lead. That's your hot, the braid is ground.

They use a bit of bent cardboard under the ends to space the cover off the bobbins and stop the joins earthing.

Could be the centre wire too. Use a penknife to break the cover solder blobs. You need 40-60w iron to resolder it. Watch the alignment of the screwpoles to cover.

15. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I agree with the tool chatter theory. I never worked with it but I've read that CuNiFe is difficult to machine and with any machine work, the smaller the job the higher the difficulty factor.

CWP0126 likes this.
  16. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hi @Dacious, thanks for the reply and the advice.

Before I opened it up I checked continuity between the frame and the braided coil and it was good. I wasn’t getting continuity between the braided coil and the interior lead.

I cracked it open and was suprised how robust this thing is. I’m glad the coils were wrapped in yellow tape.

It has the two coils connected in an X pattern, with 4 solder points total, two on each coil and both facing inward to each other (solder points inside towards each other vs outside.)

7F0ADFE7-F591-4EC2-ACAA-F1F429A4D9D8.jpeg C397E9C5-D570-41C7-B321-FC99DB9E7392.jpeg

17. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

The bottom pic above shows the pickup oriented with the ground side at the top. Consider this north for these purposes.

Using map coordinates according to the image above and the grounding considered north, I get no continuity on the northeast connection between this tab and ground.

Moving clockwise, the southeast tab has connection with ground. I also get continuity between this point and the inner black wire, this seems to be the problem.

The southwest tab has no continuity between the tab and ground.

The northwest tab has continuity as it should, as it is the ground.

So my question is did I do this test properly, and if so what is the problem? I think it has something to do with the connection on my “southeast” tab, but I can absolutely be missing something.

Thanks in advance for alll of your help!

18. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Oh, BTW, the pole pieces under the cover also were casting rainbows!

19. Dacious

If you unscrew any pole pieces be careful - three in each row are north to the slothead, three south, and they're all the inverse to the opposite one in the opposite coil. You can download an app to detect this (ask me how I know....)

If you mix them up the pickup will be one funky mofo regardless of how it's wired

CWP0126 likes this.
  20. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Thanks @Dacious! I have no intention of taking out the pole pieces if I don’t have to, I’ve read some of @Telenator threads about this and it sounds like a nightmare to straighten out if you get them mixed up!

So from my description above, should I replace the braided coax? I shouldn’t get continuity between the outer braided wire and the inner hot lead, correct?

And will this wire work as a replacement? This one has cloth covered wire inside the braided wire, where the original has a plastic coated inner wire.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...MIxvWgrOyy5AIVxODICh2V7QJZEAQYAiABEgLLDPD_BwE

Thanks again for the help!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.