culinary geniuses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by megafiddle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Try bacon on toast and jelly. As far as I know, my dad came up with that. Freakin' DEEEE LICIOUS!

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

for the sake of delicacy, I won't ask the circumstances of the realization.:D:D

3. hypnotoad

hypnotoad Tele-Meister

Sometimes I wonder:
    What was the guy doing when he discovered you could milk a cow... ?:confused::confused:

4. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    One of his friends made him a bet.

"See that animal over there with the big pink bag between its legs? Well, I'll give you 10 bucks if you go over there squeeze the bag and drink whatever comes out of it."

5. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I always heard that watching what other critters eat will clue you in on what's safe to eat. That might explain oysters and milk, but I'd like to thank the animal that OK'd Pastrami on Rye.

6. BHelmuth

BHelmuth TDPRI Member

So, does my supper last night of corn chex, peanuts, and grated cheese, make me a culinary genius...nope, just hungry and no beef thawed.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I'm guessing that the OP is referring to the plethora of food shows on cable tv these days...

Tim

10. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

No no!

I'm referring to the plethora of good old standard foods, like bacon and eggs.
    Or gravy on mashed potatoes.
    Or broiled steak with mushrooms.
    Or just plain mushrooms fried in butter.
    And all charcoal barbequed stuff!!
    Or lobster cantonese. (ok maybe not so standard)

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I heard somewhere that all great cuisine came from poverty... the requirement to be creative when choices were tougher... that makes sense!

[​IMG]

one must seek opportunity when none is apparent! the results can be delicious!

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

mmmmm.... toast with butter and home made marmalade and cheese...:D

what a creation...;)...

or this.. a TDPRI dinner for one... cashews,chili,cheese and spinach stuffed chicken breast.. grilled with a bacon wrap....:)...

Attached Files:

13. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

"Hey let's take hamburger helper, cut the quality and stick Larry the cable guy on the box!"

No thanks

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Bet it was George Washington Carver.
    Don't know if he got a medal.

15. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Never seen these at my local supermarkets. Must have been direct-to-dollar store! (note the price on the shelf talker). It's the equivalent of a movie going direct to DVD and bypassing the movie theatres.

16. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I'm the cook in my house and love to experiment with lots of different foods. I was brought up watching my Italian grandmother work her magic. My mother was German descent, so I developed a love for certain German dishes, like sauerbraten, as well.

American cuisine has become openly international in nature, as opposed to decades ago when we ate bland and/or weird stuff. I picked up an ancient recipe book at a garage sale years ago. It was filled with the ladies' written down recipes, and things she clipped out of magazines. It must have been fifty years of recipes. I was shocked at the things people ate in the '40's and
    '50's, things neither I nor my family would ever touch, like Tripe, Spam baked in the oven, chicken livers, boiled chicken, and so forth.

People like to experiment a lot more with food these days, and I think that's why you see all the cooking shows. Of course, cooking shows go back to Julia Child, Graham Kerr, and even that character, Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet." Par for the course these days, the networks like to pick hot babes (Giada DeLaurentis, Sandra Lee, Rachael Raye, Ellie Krieger, etc) and "interesting" men (Guy Fieri, tough guy Bobby Flay, and dorky Marco Battali, for example). The one who annoys me most is that broad from the Hamptons, Ina Garten. I can't stand her.

"Jeffrey's coming home after a business trip, and I need to make him a special dinner." Give it up, lady.

There's also the minority factor on the Food Network; African/American and Hispanic, and there's a place for that as we assimilate each other's native and traditonal foods. I make a chicken and cornbread dish out of an Essence cookbook I found at a flea market that the family likes.

If I browse the Food Network magazine in the supermarket and see some interesting recipes, I'll buy it and try them out, but only if I know my picky kids will eat them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  17. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

Those are Big Lots price stickers.

18. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

The best stuff was whatever Justin Wilson made, I gayrontee!!

19. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

White Castle!!!!!!!!

20. goinpostal

goinpostal Tele-Meister

My wife can kick a lot of the Food Network or Cooking Channel's cooks arses what with she being a professional cook (I won't say chef-she hates that misnomer)! Most of the pros dishes are no-brainers. "Chefs" like mr. arrogant Zakarian get by on name only. Give me something cooked by Justin wilson ANY day-it would be the best I garontee it :)
    Another (to me) funny-as-hell cooking point-yankee restaurants,such as in NYC,serving Southern food as a delicacy or something unique!!! Collards and black-eye peas? Gimme a break...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.