1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CS WW 10 Jazzmaster v. Dave's American Thin Skin JM

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jerry J, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Hey all, I am considering purchasing a JM and I now have the chance to buy one. At first I thought a '65 AO JM was what I wanted, the I saw Dave's received a boatload of very nice TS '62 JMs with matching headstocks, which I'm a sucker for.

Then I hopped over to WW and saw a couple of non-reliced CS JM 10s. And all I can say is wow!

While I would get a very good price at WW, the price is 2x the equally nice TS models at Daves.

A couple of the pros for the CS would be the outstanding build quality, better woods, and parts, especially the 'handwound' JM pups and the DSR bridge. There aren't any Cons expect for maybe the price.

For the TS models at Dave's the pros would be a great guitar for the price, decent weights, and thin skin lacquer finishes. The cons would be the need to work on the bridge or replace it with one that fixes some problems. The Pups may not be the best but I can't figure out exactly what pups are in Dave's models.

I've watched all the videos, did my research, but as always would like some insights from the group here.

Here's some links:
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/R108346/wildwood-10-relic-ready-1959-jazzmaster-12/?cat_id=351

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/R109139/wildwood-10-relic-ready-1959-jazzmaster-13/?cat_id=351

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/condition/new/type/electric/series/62LTD/

Thanks

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All of those JMs are amazing, I wouldn’t hesitate with either. However, things costing money, I’d stick with the ‘62 TS, it’s a better deal.

Pickups are personal, I don’t believe in that idea you have to pay a bunch of money for the ‘best’ pickups. I also don’t buy an expensive guitar if it didn’t have pickups I love or at least get along with. I’d stick with what comes with and then decide from there. The bridge is also a non-issue for me, there’s no need to worry about that once it’s set properly. I really want a RSD, wish FMIC would sell them, but I’m not paying an extra 2 grand for it. A Mastery or Staytrem would only be another 190 or so. Besides, look at the ‘62 bridge. It’s likely an AmPro Mustang-style affair, at 9.5” radius. That’s basically a Staytrem if so, and nothing to complain about for most offset folks.

So unless that allure of spending more for the status of CS, it’s matched headstock Daves all the way. BTW I own a ‘65 AV TS from Wildwood, in Ocean Turq w/ matching headstock and bound neck. It was flawless out the case, and such a great guitar. Oh also, the ‘62s has a slightly thinner neck carve, and that’s a no go for me at that price. My TS is 0.86” to 0.96” and it has a clubby C-feel to it. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    posttoastie likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’m not a Jazzmaster guy, but the Dave’s special edition Teles and Strats are spectacular. I’m local and I’ve spent a lot of time with one of the Teles in particular. Really high quality on the level of Custom Shop IMO. I’d imagine the JM would be the same.

Both options would be great I’m sure, just giving a shout out to Dave’s.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Gentlemen, thanks for your opinions, especially about the stock hardware on the TS. I haven't really changed a lot of hardware on my purchased guitars - the exception is dropping a CS Nocaster bridge Pup in my '52 Reissue. I've resisted all other temptations.

FWIW, the price of the CS was $3,600 v. $1,999 for the TS. The TS doesn't have a poly base coat, so it's a true lacquer guitar. While I like the CS models more, that $1,600 increase is a bit excessive.

One last question - do TS or AO versions require neck shims? I looked at some used ones and I could see that a few have a big gap in the neck pocket, and on one guitar it was really noticeable.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

AOs and my 65AV TS have angled neck pockets, so no need for a shim. I think people don’t realize that and add a shim anyways, thinking it’s required. My pocket is angled between 2 and 3 degrees, which is more than enough for 10s. Dunno about the CS—though I can say that the height of the bridge pickup over that thick 4-ply tort guard suggests it’s angled too.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Good to know. Now I'm looking into what color TS I want. When you consider the price, the TS is hard to beat. Thanks

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.