1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CS Texas Specials installed - Neck Pickup problems

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Smoothlikebutta, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Smoothlikebutta

Smoothlikebutta TDPRI Member

So I just installed a pair of Custom Shop Texas Specials on my Tele and the bridge sounds great. the neck is having issues picking up the 1st and the 6th strings. I've been adjusting the pickup height but can't seem to get either the low or the high to register very well... pretty week sounding if anything...the middle strings are loud and clear so I know it's not totally a height issue.

Any idea's?

2. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

New, used, from factory, Stratosphere, Ebay, 7-11, a guy in a white van? If they are not right and you can return them unless you miss wired them they should have no problem picking up all the strings.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Are you sure the pole spacing are correct for the string spacings / neck width. Only asking as I put a set of pups into a home build of mine and had awful trouble. Finally realised that the pup poles were to widely spaced to be under any of the strings.

4. Smoothlikebutta

Brand new from GC so I can return if needed. Yeah, it might be a pole under the cover that isn't working right. I"ll recheck the wiring but the pickup works and sounds great on the middle strings

It's a MIM classic series 60's tele with a 7.5 radius neck... would the neck radius effect the orientation of the strings over the poles? I haven't looked at taking the cover off the neck pickup to see if I can see the pole orientation but I'd rather not if I"m going to have to return it.

5. Smoothlikebutta

I should also mention that the wiring diagram that comes with the CS TX Specials has them wired in series for the middle position on the three way switch... I kept it standard tele wiring and grounded both the yellow and black to the hack of the volume pot.

I'm wondering if I should just pop this out and exchange it or if I should mess with it anymore. FWIW I am in love with the sound I am getting from the bridge pickup it's what I've been looking for in a tele; that sweet snarl with great tone.

Maybe also worth mentioning that I previously upgraded the wiring with the premium wiring kit from Stewmac that has the Orange Drop Caps at 0.047uF and 0.001uF.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Pickup polepieces can be demagnetised.

Check by touching the bottom of the individual polepieces with a small steel screwdriver to ascertain if they are all still magnetic or if the two outer polepieces are demagnetised.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I was more thinking of tge string spacing, i.e. if it’s a wide neck and the pole spacing is for a narrower neck then the strings won’t sit directly above the poles.

Mind you, possibly at extremes, if the neck has, say, a 9.5 radius and the string heights are set to correspond to it, the poles on the G and D strings will be relatively farther away from the pup than the Es.

8. Smoothlikebutta

I took them back and got another set. The new neck pickup works fine so it was indeed a bad pickup not my wiring... so I put them in and it all sounded good... but the bridge pickup wasn't sounding the same to me as the first one. I liked the sound of this one, but I loved the sound of the previous bridge. So I went back :p - and I swapped the new bridge for the old bridge pickup I just returned, since he was going to send them back to fender anyway and they aren't serial #'d he just switched them out of the box for me... and yes, I can confirm that this bridge pickup has a little more mojo in it than the second one. A little more snarl that cut's the treble just enough at the right settings... a small victory in the chase for tone.

LutherBurger and Steve Lan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.