CS strat question.....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vishnu, Jun 19, 2018.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

I don't really know Strats but some guy has suggested to me that the CS models from '59 to '62 are "slab boards" rosewood boards I take it?

Is there something that differentiates the 59s to 62s....what is it that differs between these years/guitars?

Guys I was thinkin' of going down the Strat road but I would prefer a rosewood board and 9.5 radius for starters....

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Between those years, the standard neck went from the '54-58 maple one piece to a maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard.

The joint was flat, and the walnut skunk stripe sealing the trussrod in vanished, as the trussrod was inserted in the neck from top and sealed with the fingerboard. Maple necks remained an option and were a maple cap on maple fretboard. In 1963, a curved or veneer fingerboard and the skunk stripe sealing the trussrod reappeared too. It was different years for other guitars like the Tele, Mustang and Jazz master.

https://goo.gl/images/EYngyC

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Thanks D for that bit of history :)

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Now if I can just find out what are the major differences in those 4 years 59/60/61/62 CS models

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Yeah for vintage instruments, they switched to thinner rosewood veneers in 1962. I would imagine that the custom shop guitars that replicate those years are pretty accurate, spec-wise, especially with regards to the slab rosewood board.

If you want all that and a 9.5, look into the “Thin Skin” limited run through Wildwood and Dave’s Guitar Shop. I got a 59 Thin Skin Strat that fits all of the above (avatar). Stunning guitar!

Or, as others might suggest, consider a Kirn. Which I will probably also do at a later date.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Most of those will still have a vintage radius, similar to the AVRI line. Unless it’s a “postmodern” sort of thing. Again, for half the price or less of a custom shop guitar, the Thin Skins are amazing.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Should mention, the Thin skins also have a little bit taller frets - 6105.

The biggest difference will be the neck profile and size. 59 is still considered a D shape and, to my knowledge, a bit fuller. 60 transitions to more of a C. 1962 I think tends to be a Slimmer C shape.

So, really just depends on what you’re looking for. The necks will vary anyways, so play everything you can get your hands on.

I did the same when I was tele-shopping. Thought I’d go custom shop. Played some of those (of corse, they were awesome). But they weren’t noticeably better (to me) than the AVRI line at the time. I thought the AVRI 52 and 64 were on par.

The Thin Skin Strats are so unique that I knew that’s what I was after. Then I saw too good a deal to pass up for a 59. Has Custom Shop 54 pickups in it. Thin Nitro finish. What more could you want?

8. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

thanks guys....off to look up "thin skins" :)

9. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Guys....are those 59 to 62s likely to be nitro?

10. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Wildwood Thin Skins - they are great about listing all specs and will give you an in-hand description of a guitar if you ask
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-usa/american-vintage-thin-skin-nitro/

All of their Custom shop Strats
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-custom-shop/custom-shop-stratocaster/

Dave’s only has this Thin Skin listed currently
    https://reverb.com/item/6241797-fender-american-vintage-thin-skin-59-stratocaster-3-color-sunburst

They have a lot of Custom Shop guitars though too.
    https://davesguitar.com/products/fender-custom-shop/type/electric/

Now is the time where I acknowledge that I have nothing to disclose, no affiliation with either shop. I just feel that they are two of the very best. And again, the Thin Skins were done for them.

Also time to acknowledge... this is giving me GAS. Happy hunting. Enjoy it. Play a lot of them. And let the guitar find you. There’s a lot of helpful info on here, but you’re the most important part of the equation. And a slab rosewood board on a guitar that you don’t love playing isn’t worth anything.

11. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.