CS owners- what makes a CS instrument worth it, to you?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by blowtorch, May 17, 2021.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    WOW!:eek::eek: Even $1600 in 2003 would have been a steal…..

Peegoo and VillainSean like this.
  2. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is picture makes me instinctively reach for my wallet.

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  3. VillainSean

I was getting pretty good deals when Ebay first sprung up ***cough***20 years ago***cough***!

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly! My neighbor has an immaculate C7 Corvette but in June he will have a new C8. A friend spends around $8,000 each on golf. Another spends that much on marina fees, gas, maintenance for his boat. I don’t have remorse for my gear purchases although I do regret a few impulse buys. My guitars give me a great deal of enjoyment and I spend a lot of time with them. I have friends who are retired like me but they don’t have a hobby or sustainable interest to keep them occupied.

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

For me, it’s the only custom built guitar that has a distribution channel which allows me to try/see most of the options in person.

I am lucky enough to live within 45 min of Chicago Music Exchange. Before my first CS build, I planned to spend a day there looking at paint colors, trying out pickups, aging levels, wood types, neck profiles, fretboard radii, fretwire sizes, so on and so forth. They set me up with what equates to a “dressing room attendant”—he asked me what I wanted to try on, periodically checking in to see if I needed new sizes, etc. Even brought in a vintage ‘62 to compare. That was a bit of a jerk move in retrospect...ha. I say that in jest of course. Amazing guitar. Anyway. Think about essentially all the other brands of guitars of that level or better. With the possible exceptions of something from Gibson or maybe PRS, you will not be able to put yourself in a position to try more than maybe 5 at any given store. I probably played 20-30 guitars that day, no exaggeration. I feel confident enough in their *vast* options list now that I can 1) probably order another without spending more than 15 min or so in the shop just to look at colors 2) order one sight-unseen and/or used online (as long as there’s a decent return policy...sometimes there’s dogs. There just is.) AND the wait wasn’t that bad given the context of other builders’ turn times.

Case study: I love Mario Martin guitars. I’ve custom-ordered 3 now and have bought 2 others: one from dealer stock and one from a private seller. They will accommodate just about any request, use parts I send them if that’s my desire, and do not limit material selection like FCS does on team-built guitars, all at a cost at least 33% less than FCS. Chicago Music Exchange has zero currently (not a dealer for Mario so any they have would be used). A large Mario distributor, Amelia Island Guitars, currently has 3 in stock. It’s a 3 hour flight to get there. Not enough to get a good idea of anything really. Then I custom order one based on really no research and I wait 18 months.

Especially for a first-time custom guitar order, for convenience, for overall experience, and especially if you find a great dealer with personal assistance from an experienced salesperson, FCS is hard to beat.

Greggorios and Peegoo like this.
  6. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

Here's mine:

IMG-8148.jpg IMG-8140.jpg

I have only bought one CS Tele, and it was ordered online and I could not see it in person. That was the first time I had ever done that with a new guitar.

The quality of the finish, the wood, the details all did it for me. I know I am biased but I feel like the CS absolutely nailed it with this model. As others have said - part of the problem for me is that there are sooo many builders out there, and so many different models from each, that it is slightly overwhelming. With Fender CS I knew what I was getting quality wise, and from a place with generous return policies if it doesnt work out.

7. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I never thought I'd get one, but I always thought a blue sparkle, double bound would be what I would order. And this summer Dave's Guitars had them in stock, so I emailed a couple guitars for trade and a deal was struck!

Spectacular Tele that is great in every way, but I don't sound or play much better than I do on a well set up AVRI or Classic Series MIM.

Custom Tele 2.jpg
    Custom Tele 1.jpg

LPTyler, Mr Swisher, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  8. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I wanted to buy a decent bass guitar and knew I wanted a Precision as I'd been borrowing a '90s Japanese Fender. I tried out an American Performer which was quite nice. Then tried out an American Standard or two which were even better. I then tried a deluxe which I preferred and then an American Vintage which was my favourite by far. Finally, I tried a custom shop Precision (which incidentally was the same price used as the new American Vintage) and it blew me away. Very light Ash body, perfectly shaped neck, great balance and sounded great. It was unique too being an ash body with rosewood neck, yet a 60s reissue vibe. It still blows me away every time I play it and is very inspiring to play.

IMG_20191023_223531.jpg

I went guitar shopping with a friend for a Strat and employed the same process as above. He's by no means a guitar obsessive but once he got to trying out custom shop guitars, he knew that's what he wanted and we drove for miles trying out every one we could!

When I bought my Custom Shop Strat (my first custom shop instrument) I wasn't even looking to buy one. It just happened to be in the local guitar shop and I tried it out just to see what it was like. There was something about it which drew me to return a week or so later to buy it!

IMG_20191023_223406.jpg

Yes, they're relics and I haven't earned the wear blah blah... I didn't buy any of them based on the finish as that's near the very bottom of my list of things I want in a guitar. They just inspire me to play!

9. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

paint missing in few spots, numerous dings, and a few extra thou$and dollar$ on the price tag :D

Greggorios likes this.
  10. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you pay a lot for that last 10%...I owned two CS strats ...sold both but they were great guitars

Greggorios likes this.
  12. funkyguitarman

funkyguitarman TDPRI Member

I will only speak to personal experience as its what I know and something that might mirror other players here.

I am a lifelong Gibson player and not afraid to say it. With that said, I absolutely love what a Telecaster is and what it can do. I've struggled over the years to bond with most Fender guitars with the exceptions being a 62 RI Strat and a 64 AVRI Tele. With those two guitars being the exception, every other Fender I owned seemed like a compromise in what I was ultimately after. Back in 2016 I ordered an American Special Tele in fiesta red that became my main axe for a number of years. Stock the AMS Tele checked a lot of boxes but still was a compromise to the point where I finally decided to swap out some parts a few years ago. The mods helped but I was still yearning somehow for something else. The only non Custom Shop Tele I was considering was an American Original, but was still unsatisfied with the finish options. Last year I was on a hunt for my forever Fender and pretty quickly came to the conclusion that Custom Shop was the only way I would get the guitar I really wanted. Earlier this year I spotted a Wildwood 10 NOS Custom Tele 1960 in black and didn't even have to think about it. I had never even played a FCS Tele before buying it and after playing it at home was more than happy.

Granted I only own one and have limited experience with CS guitars, I would definitely go the CS route first if I ever needed another Fender in the stable. My tele had the finish, specs, and tone I was looking for right out of the box. Those Abigail Ybarra pickups are insane. The fit and finish was flawless, as was the playability. Was it an expensive guitar? Yes, although in the larger picture it wasn't crazy expensive like some Fender and Gibson Customs can get. I enjoy my Tele so much that it inspired me to go and try and eventually buy two Custom Gibsons. I don't believe there is a best guitar, just the best for you.

Greggorios and VillainSean like this.
  13. bradavic

bradavic TDPRI Member

I ordered one almost two months ago, so I'm still waiting, but I decided to take the plunge because I wanted MY guitar in the configuration I chose. For me, I have always wanted a 1960 Tele in Sherwood Green Metallic. I know I could NEVER afford a real vintage example (let alone find one in Sherwood Green, which WAS offered at the time, but very rare), so I started looking at the Custom Shop. None of the used ones I found online matched the specs I wanted, so I ordered one up!

VillainSean and Greggorios like this.
  14. VillainSean

I think this is the case for a lot of people.
    And welcome, fellow Washingtonian!

bradavic likes this.
  15. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

They look nice, sound nice and play nice. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought some of them and I definitely shouldn't have sold some of them.

But they make me happy, so this being TDPRI here are some of mine:

Post Modern NOS, Hot Rod 52 (not CS) and Cabronita-esqe custom order
    [​IMG]

Thinline 50s Tele and Black over Pink Paisley 57 Strat
    [​IMG]

CS 52 Tele and 58 JM
    [​IMG]

60s Relic Strat (my fave) and a 56 that I picked up for £1400 s/h
    [​IMG]

Probably I ought to have kept the Oly white Strat (signed Abbys and Braz board) but the guy who owns it loves it so wth :)
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.