CS Nocaster 2014 - question

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Groberts, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

I found a 2014 CS Nocaster that I've been flirting with at my local shop. Nocaster blond, 6105's and 9.5" Radius. Nocaster PU's. Nocaster U shaped neck. Sounds classic and nails vintage tone that sure is convincing.

One thing that struck me odd is that while my local shop confirmed it is a CS '51 Nocaster in spec, the Decal on the headstock says Fender "telecaster" (old scrip logo of course.) But a Nocaster should only say Fender On the headstock shouldn't it?

Second thing is the Body is a little wider than the neck. The neck is seated well in the pocket on the bass side, but on the treble side, the neck pocket/body sticks out about 1/8" wider than the actual neck. Is this normal and typical of Nocasters? No other CS Tele's that I've seen are like this.

2. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could always check with Fender at consumerrelation@fender.com by sending them the serial number, and they would confirm what it is. Maybe a special order. The Nocaster's last run was 2012, I think.
    If it says Telecaster on the headstock, it should really be a Tele, not a Nocaster, even if the specs are Nocaster.

The ledge on the side of the neck pocket is period correct for the early Broadcaster/ Esquire/ Nocaster/ Telecaster models.

3. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

I'd pull that neck and see if you can date it and see if it's truly a Fender neck. I'm not sure about production dates but read that they discontinued the nocaster again in early 2013. :confused: Is there a cert? Does it match the plate SN?

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe a Nocaster that had the neck changed.
    Maybe nothing from any part of a Nocaster.
    Could be a CS 52 or 53.

It's new from 2014 (why are you sure of that?), so even if previously owned it shoud have the Certificate with it.
    That would tell you what it was.
    If Fender doesn't confirm what it is or it doesn't have the COA, I'd pass.

5. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Checked the COA. December 2013. Shop just put it out in 2014. It is from my highly reputable, Fender Custom Shop Dealer. They got it straight from Fender. It's brand new. Case candy, cert, hang tag SN match the Bridge. But curiously the hang tag also - 52 at the end. I wonder ....were there any Nocasters that made their way into 1952 and got the Fender Telecaster decal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The only reason they were called Nocasters is because the didn't have a name on them. So no, if it says Telecaster, it's not a Nocaster.

Does the number on the Certificate match the number on the bridgeplate?
    If not then they just got the wrong Certificate with it.
    If the numbers match then someone at Fender messed up and filled the Certificate out as a Nocaster when it's really a Custom Shop 52 relic.

7. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Have to agree. The SN on the bridge plate matches the COA. They labelled it a Nocaster and it can't possibly be if it says "Telecaster" on the headstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

More likely they just dipped into the wrong transfer box. Specced it to specs against the Serial Number.

CoA made against Serial Number Spec sheet.

Inspected for quality and finish, not against Specs and Authenticity.

COuple of easy process disconnects et .... .Voila!

9. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

The guitar is new at a local shop. I wonder if this Authorized Fender Dealer can get a correct CoA reflecting it is not a Nocaster Relic. But perhaps a '51 or 52' Telecaster Relic?

10. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

11. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

Yep I saw that too, the advertised Sweetwater "nocaster" has a Telecaster decal. Maybe the Fender customshop ran out of 'Nocaster" decals :oops:

12. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Yeah, I checked that out. Looks like it came from the same Factory Run. Even the sticker at $3520 is the same.

I sent an inquiry to Fender. Will see if they have a response.

13. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

It's good to know though .... that your nocaster is actually a real nocaster and not something slapped together by someone else.

14. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

Yeah, it's a legit Custom Shop Fender all right. If the decal just said Fender on the headstock, everything else makes sense and adds up. Otherwise, is it a 1951 Telecaster ...with Nocaster neck, PU's and color?

15. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

If I had it I might just cut the telecaster off the headstock and call it a Nocaster.

16. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

I spent a few hours tonight with a friend who owns a Nocaster Reissue from 2010. My God, this guitar is GOOD!! Stunning, classic, vintage tones. VERY inspiring. Decal / CoA aside, its a GREAT guitar. Wondering why it took so long to discover the magic of a Nocaster. :D

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  17. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

Cool. Would be interesting to see what Fender come back with! No doubt they're both legit Custom Shops so there's maybe some reason behind the "Telecaster" decals.:cool:

Yeah, there's nothing like a CS Nocaster, love mine, it's my number one!

18. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

I hear you ..... my other 'keeper' guitars are suddenly lame. :confused: It's the most amazing thing I've ever played. Try playing it through a 57 Champ reissue or a Champion 600 .... plugged straight in!

19. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

I am playing through a Victoria 20112 (Tweed Deluxe) or Carr Rambler. Done! Nuff said. :lol:

20. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

That's even better! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.