CS Broadcaster vs Original Vintage pickups

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
I recently bought a 52 AVRI that is loaded with JBE Danny Gatton pickups and I'm not really getting along with them. Looking for a more traditional 52 Tele. I know the guitar originally came with the Original Vintage pickups and people rave about them, but I have another cheap Telecaster that has the CS Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set from an Am Std that I really like and could swap in. Especially the TT neck as I find I don't usually use regular Tele neck pickups.

For people who have tried both, is it worth getting the OV or is the Broadcaster pretty close? How would you describe the differences? I play mainly rock and some blues and country. My Broadcaster pup is 7.5k, and the OV are around 7.2k. Which is more accurate to a blackguard Tele? Thanks for any info that you might think is important.

PS: Not looking for non-Fender pickups. Want to keep it all Fender. Thought about the Nocaster set, but don't really want to spend that amount right now.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
No opinions or experience on any or all the above? I've been reviewing Youtube clips and there are plenty of Nocaster clips, less of the others. Nocaster may be back on the table, but to me it has sort of a fuller humbucker EQ and I have plenty of humbuckers. Looking for something slightly brighter but not piercing. Might just be the clips.

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
Most "authentically" BG should be Nocaster or VO. On paper...

• Nocaster = A3/43awg, most mids and compression, early BG
  • VO= A3/42awg, balance of mids and twang, late BG
  • Am Std Broadcaster = (I think) A5/42awg, traditional late '50s Tele tone, very balanced, plenty of twang

I think you'll like the VO, they are a good all-around pickup that captures some of the BG tone but covers a lot of bases. And they have a good traditional neck PU sound without being too muffled. Just note that the VO are no RWRP like the Am Std pickups.

As much as people lionize BGs, it sure seems it is the late '50s/early '60s PUs that people find most well-rounded across styles, the snap of the A5 magnets really helps with twang for country, snap for pop, and output and cut for rock. The flagship Tele pickup from most makers is usually some spin on a late '50s A5/42 pickup.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
Most "authentically" BG should be Nocaster or VO. On paper...

• Nocaster = A3/43awg, most mids and compression, early BG
  • VO= A3/42awg, balance of mids and twang, late BG
  • Am Std Broadcaster = (I think) A5/42awg, traditional late '50s Tele tone, very balanced, plenty of twang

I think you'll like the VO, they are a good all-around pickup that captures some of the BG tone but covers a lot of bases. And they have a good traditional neck PU sound without being too muffled. Just note that the VO are no RWRP like the Am Std pickups.

As much as people lionize BGs, it sure seems it is the late '50s/early '60s PUs that people find most well-rounded across styles, the snap of the A5 magnets really helps with twang for country, snap for pop, and output and cut for rock. The flagship Tele pickup from most makers is usually some spin on a late '50s A5/42 pickup.
Thanks for the detailed post! I tend to agree that I would probably like the OV better all around. The RWRP does make me pause for a sec. With Strat pickups I like RWRP but when I got an Am Vint 59 Strat, not having it didn't bother me and it gives a bit more balls to the in between settings.

Still kind of wondering how the Broadcaster compares to the OV. Broadcaster is hotter (7.5k A5 vs 6.6k A3) and I like the extra output, but it's a very bright pickup. Roll tone down to 6 or 7 and it's comes into its own. Wondering if the OV is as bright. Some demos it is, some it seems a bit less piercing and more full. But you never know if they are rolling down the tone as well. The American Standard that the Broadcasters come out of has a no-load tone pot, so that would make it much brighter.

jball85

TDPRI Member
I personally found that the A3 VO bridge pup wouldn't handle gain nearly as well as an A5. And I'm not talking insane amounts of drive either. Just didn't have enough snap in the treble for my tastes. For what it's worth I'm using a Cavalier Hydra Lion (Bakersfield, Nashville, and Fat Lion). It covers all the bases. I've got a PV 64' in the neck, also a great pup.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the detailed post! I tend to agree that I would probably like the OV better all around. The RWRP does make me pause for a sec. With Strat pickups I like RWRP but when I got an Am Vint 59 Strat, not having it didn't bother me and it gives a bit more balls to the in between settings.

Still kind of wondering how the Broadcaster compares to the OV. Broadcaster is hotter (7.5k A5 vs 6.6k A3) and I like the extra output, but it's a very bright pickup. Roll tone down to 6 or 7 and it's comes into its own. Wondering if the OV is as bright. Some demos it is, some it seems a bit less piercing and more full. But you never know if they are rolling down the tone as well. The American Standard that the Broadcasters come out of has a no-load tone pot, so that would make it much brighter.
the OV is probably brighter. A3 is brighter than A5 and less winds means brighter, I think A3 at mid/high 6's is pretty ideal personally.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
I personally found that the A3 VO bridge pup wouldn't handle gain nearly as well as an A5. And I'm not talking insane amounts of drive either. Just didn't have enough snap in the treble for my tastes. For what it's worth I'm using a Cavalier Hydra Lion (Bakersfield, Nashville, and Fat Lion). It covers all the bases. I've got a PV 64' in the neck, also a great pup.
I ended up using the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster out of my other guitar. The Broadcaster isn't my favorite pickup, but it sounds better in the new guitar. Could be the Ash body and brass saddles. I'll live with it and adjust it for a while and I think it might stay. You mentioned the PV 64. I put that set in the old guitar. I'm seriously wowed. It is the quintessential Tele sound to me. Best value in pickups out there.

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
The Fender OVs I've had were all 7.3K ohms, A3-magnet, vintage-sounding pickups. Perfectly at home in a nice '52RI. I put these in my CS Nocaster, because the stock Nocaster pickups were a little too underwound for me.

My only experiences with Fender Broadcaster pickups has been in my Baja Teles, (copper-bottomed and in the 8K ohms range), and also my 2006 AV Limited Esquire (Europe Only), which came with a white-string-wrapped Broadcaster pickup. This one's a little hotter than the Baja Broadcasters, at 9.5K ohms, and has a thumping low end to the Tone.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I've run through a whole lot of early 50's style Tele bridge pickups. There's a LOT of them on the market. My final take? They're all more or less the same. Oh sure, there's subtle tonal qualities to each, but when I say subtle I mean it. Fender OV, Fender Broadcaster, Fender Nocaster, SD Broadcaster, etc, etc, - they're all in the same ball park, it's just whether it's a hit to left field or down the centre.

Guitar Rod

TDPRI Member
I've run through a whole lot of early 50's style Tele bridge pickups. There's a LOT of them on the market. My final take? They're all more or less the same. Oh sure, there's subtle tonal qualities to each, but when I say subtle I mean it. Fender OV, Fender Broadcaster, Fender Nocaster, SD Broadcaster, etc, etc, - they're all in the same ball park, it's just whether it's a hit to left field or down the centre.
Good to know. The Broadcaster is growing on me. I watch as many real 50-54 Broad/No/Telecaster demos and the sound varies. But almost all mention how bright the original blackguards were, so the Broadcaster is right there with that.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I have two guitars with the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set (American Stdd and a Vintera '50s Modified). That Broadcaster is the first Tele bridge pickup I've really liked. I had a Vintera '50s standard for a couple days. That model doesn't have the official OV pickups; Fender describes them as "We recreated our favorite set of ‘50s Telecaster pickups." Most of my playing is clean or at the edge of breakup, but I couldn't get a sound I cared for from those pickups. They just seemed wispy and anemic. Just my opinion, obviously, but I think the TT/BC combo beats vintage-style Tele pickups hands down.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I'm an OV fan. I've also has a Broadcaster set in a Partscaster once, but cannot tell you why because it was like 14 years ago, but went back to the OV's. Over the years I've experimented with many other pickup sets and have come to the conclusion that the OV's are just my favorites and most versatile and you can cover so many style and sounds with them unless you're doing something really extreme.

I really love these pickups because they are killer at getting that iconic Tele twang when you're playing stuff like old school country and also clean up really well, but really shine doing that edge of breakup thing and overdrive really, really well no matter what pedal you throw in from of them. RAT, Barber Gain Changer, Fulltone Full-Drive, EHX Soul Food...the list goes on. An added benefit is the middle position on a Tele with OV's is one of my favorites for clean sounds.

Last edited:

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I have two guitars with the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set (American Stdd and a Vintera '50s Modified). That Broadcaster is the first Tele bridge pickup I've really liked. I had a Vintera '50s standard for a couple days. That model doesn't have the official OV pickups; Fender describes them as "We recreated our favorite set of ‘50s Telecaster pickups." Most of my playing is clean or at the edge of breakup, but I couldn't get a sound I cared for from those pickups. They just seemed wispy and anemic. Just my opinion, obviously, but I think the TT/BC combo beats vintage-style Tele pickups hands down.
Sounds like the stock pickups in the Vintera are the same/similar as what they were putting in the Classic and Road Worn Series. Not my favorite pickups and all of the Classic 50's Teles that came my way got a set of OV's to replace those stock pickups.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
I quit looking after I got my OV set. I chose them over longtime faves Van Zandt True Vintage and have no complaints. I play a variety of styles and either of these two would be great all-around sets. IIRC, the OV's were a better deal.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Holic
I quit looking after I got my OV set. I chose them over longtime faves Van Zandt True Vintage and have no complaints. I play a variety of styles and either of these two would be great all-around sets. IIRC, the OV's were a better deal.
They were an even better deal when you could buy the set for $80 new! Still a great deal at their current price.