CS 52 tele too light?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by vishnu, Mar 7, 2018.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Seen a CS 52 for sale and the weight is apparently 6.3 lbs.....is this too light you think?

I was after a light one, as is the fashion :) but I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought.....

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weight alone isn't enough info. Would need to play it. But for my taste, weight is often an indicator that other factors aligned in a positive way, and that someone was paying attention. 6.3 is pretty light to occur by accident.

Some like more weight, because that sometimes results in a longer note decay. I don't hold notes that long anyway (think Jimmy Bryant vs David Gilmour...), and I prefer a very lively guitar that shivers when I play it. Light ones often hit the mark for me.

irie likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Too light for what? As long as it balances perfectly - and I assume it does as it's a Custom Shop guitar - no issue.

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I think 6.3 would be too light for me. I'm finding right around 7.5 is just right for me. I just sent a strat back that was 7.2 (not why I sent it back) I remember when I got it I was surprised how toyish it felt. The strat I have coming back is 7.42.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

I have a redwood tele thats under 6 lbs. I sounds great and feels great. I like light guitars if there good.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Mine range from 7.2 to 9.9 and I can't say that I have a favorite (of 6). I just realized how fortunate I am.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Considering that light Teles are the fashion, if you don't buy it, someone else is going to snap it up soon enough.

8. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

In the interest of comparison; there’s an AV ‘69 Thinline on reverb at the moment that’s also 6.3 lbs.

9. yazam2014

yazam2014 Tele-Meister

I prefer light guitar.

10. irie

irie Tele-Holic

I am of the opinion that a guitar is ultimately the sum of its parts, and the difference is in the details. So I would agree that weight alone is not a great metric for purchasing a guitar unless that is a specific requirement.

A poorly manufactured and assembled guitar that weighs 6 lbs is not going to be better than a guitar that weights 10 lbs and was built by a highly skilled artisan from start to finish with an acute attention to detail IMO.

That being said, in terms of the actual balance of a tele that light I don't think you will have any complaints assuming everything else is what you are looking for like pick ups, neck shape, fingerboard radius, frets size, etc...

Not that it makes any difference the tele in my avatar is 6.3 lbs and feels great around the neck. The sound however I would attribute to the builder and assembly, not just the weight.

11. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Too light for a Telecaster

12. BigDaddyLH

Can you imagine Leo saying, "we can't sell this, it's too light"?

Me, either.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A guitar weighing 6.3 lb would not be too light for me. The guitar in my avatar is like 6.8 and is wonderful. I also had a Thinline that was incredibly light which had monster tone.
    My Les Paul feels like I'm lifting at the gym and, while I love the guitar and it's tone, it's a (literal) pain to play.

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine him saying an 8 pound tele is too heavy to sell either.

15. BigDaddyLH

I CAN imagine him saying, "So you want to paint a Tele ... like a shaggin wagon???!!!"

16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

In Nacho's book, he says the average weight of the vintage blackguards was 7.3 lbs.

I mention that just to add that no, I don't think 6.3 lbs is too light. And boutique Telecaster builders seem to do well selling models with 1" thick necks without truss rods weighing in at less than that.

17. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I think 7.3 would be about the perfect weight. I don't put too much importance on weight as long as its in the range of 7 to 8 pounds. I'd rather go a bit heavier than a bit lighter though. Although I'm getting up there in age (57) I do maintain a fairly regular work out schedule. 3 or 4 hundred pushups a day resistance band training etc. So maybe a 7.5 pound tele feels as heavy to me as a 6.5 tele played by someone with a more sedentary life style.
    I have 2 teles, one being 7.7 pounds the other 7.5. And I have a strat coming that is 7.4.
    I guess my age may be getting to me though. 20 years ago I never even gave weight a second thought and I know a couple of the Teles I owned were in the 9 pound range. I don't even recall anyone ever talking about the weight of a fender back then.

MilwMark likes this.
  18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Go get it .. sounds like a keeper :)

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

6.3 ... That is the one that I would want !

20. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a CS Broadcaster that is 6.5. I wish all my guitars were this!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.