Crystalac and surf green

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Rocky creek, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

Looking for some suggestions on painting a guitar surf green with crystalac britetone as the finish.
    What is compatible to mix with crystallac to get a colored base coat. Would I just mix it in the clear finish and use this as a base coat. What pigments or colorants do you use if you use crystalac?

2. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

I was experimenting with Crystalac's Universal White Primer and tinting it with Mixol with the intent of clearing it with Brite Tone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was trying to go for an Ocean Turquoise but did not realize that the primer can only be tinted so much and won't ever be as saturated as tinting Crystalac Brite Tone. I ended up going a different route for the project but kinda kept this recipe in my back pocket for the next one.

3. Rocky creek

Rocky creek TDPRI Member

The green you have is about what I am looking for. So you are saying it would be best just to tint the brite tone?

4. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

I'd imagine you'd need a lot of white mixol if you're gonna go straight BT to get it full opaque. The thing about that universal white is it hides everything in a coat or two. I'd get some white & green Mixol & experiment on some scrap.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I did this surf green tele with white and green mixol. It is not even close to opaque and it took a LOT of mixol.

E4654BEA-45D0-4799-BAD3-492FD394C21F-24115-00000F1989D30C7B_zpsad8354df.JPG

fleezinator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.