"Cryogenically treated tubes?"

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SSL9000J, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. The cycle and pre-selection of tubes for cryo treatment would easily explain the ‘sounds better’ claims.. just a bunch of false positives because microphonic or damaged tubes are weeded out in the selection.

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Cryogenically treated tubes are the way to get really cool sounds from your amp:cool:

rob2 likes this.
  3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Don't think they will make much difference once the guitar is ran through a cranked distortion pedal or {pick your choice of pedal}.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes:

Get your car tires filed with nitrogen, while your at it. (Nevermind that the air you breath is 70% nitrogen).

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

It's done right after hardening to get the carbides to disperse more evenly in the steel. I've never seen it done just at random on a finished product, and am not sure what it would do with vacuum tubes other than in theory, maybe disperse a few carbides in some of the alloys.

Having not seen it done on tubes, I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that it's only being used so that the tubes can be marketed as being cryo treated, and we won't notice a difference.

In woodworking tools, it's done with high-carbide steel a lot (if they don't disperse in the matrix, they come out of the edge as chips), and friodur "ice hardened" steel has been cryo treated for eons - since the 60s, maybe? In razors and knives.

Liquid nitrogen must be getting cheaper, because I've seen it all over the place since then.

6. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Russia is ok too!

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

It's still a few dollars a gallon in bulk. We get anywhere from 1 to 5 tankers a day where I work, depending on what's going on.

From what our drivers say, it's somewhat of a byproduct of creating liquid oxygen and argon which are more commercially valuable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

D_W_PGH likes this.
  8. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol::lol:.......but just in case I'm away now to stick a few JJ's in the deep freezer.......

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I only use carbon kevlar cobalt kryptonite cryogenic cathodes

10. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

Having personally done a bunch of A/B testing of Cyro tubes I can attest that it's not entirely BS but it's mostly BS. I've tried the Walthen tubes which are just JJ tubes in a freezer. Compared to regular non treated JJ of same tube model you could hear a subtle warmer and smoother tone in the Cyro tubes but only with a clean tone. You literally need headphones or great ears to distinguish the difference. Something you'd only notice in a studio environment at best. Distorted tone forget hearing any difference. It marketing. Cyro makes a tiny change they can prove but it has no real world purpose as I see it. It definitely doesn't help tube life as the new stuff is all hit or miss on longevity and may even hurt it?

11. UKStratopastor

UKStratopastor TDPRI Member

I don't believe cryo will improve the sound.

However, I assume there's testing (or re-testing) AFTER the cryo stage. In that case, it would be interesting to know what the reject rate was. I'm just imagining cryo as an extra stress-test, with the mechanically weak ones being weeded out just like burn-in does. End result would be greater chance of longterm reliability for the 'survivors'.

The trouble with my conjecture here is that the resellers' claims are all (I think) about audio quality, not reliabilty. Praise Ambrose Fleming and pass the snake oil.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.