Crybaby Overhaul Help

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by peterbilt1101, Feb 21, 2013.

1. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

So, I'm in the midst of overhauling my crybaby pedal and I've hit a snag. Was trying to convert to true bypass like this...
    http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/effects/tb4b.png
    I'm using a 3PDT switch instead of a DPDT and I think that's the problem. How does the wiring change with a 3PDT? Thanks.

2. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Guess I should explain a little more. I wired the 3PDT just like the DPDT and left the middle row vacant. However, the pedal doesn't work at all now so I obviously goofed it up.

3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

4. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Thanks. The article helps, but when the switch is a big square, how do you know which way is up? Meaning which pin on my switch is #1 and so on?

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh, I see. Sorry. Here's a link that should be more useful: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546

The last part if the article mentions how to orient the 3pdt switch.

"Unlike a DPDT, which has a 3×2 layout, a 3PDT is uniform (3×3) so you have to know which way to turn it. To make it correspond with the diagrams above, turn it so the holes line up north-south (imagine being able to thread a needle through all three holes in a row – that’s one of the three switch sections)."

Ironically, I just got a like new crybaby rev H and I think it sounds pretty bland so I think I'm gonna do the bypass mod (like you, with a 3pdt). What resources are you using for your overhaul? Seems there's sooooo many mods to pick from.

6. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

I attached a pic that I made where the top is superimposed over the bottom. It helped me trace things and figure out the Cry Baby. Consider adding an output buffer- it helps restore the wah effect in front of a fuzz which would have loaded it down.

Attached Files:

7. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I'm nor sure ill get to it as soon as I thought.... Lots going on now

8. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Alright. I've bought the wrong switch twice now. Someone tell me exactly which DPDT switch to buy from Small Bear. I'll go put on my dunce cap now.

Is this right? http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=24

Says it's for bedroom gigging and prototyping. Is there a more robust switch?

9. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Try this. Note the orientation of the pins.

Attached Files:

10. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

If you want to buy a more rugged DPDT switch from Small Bear,this is probably the one.
    http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=80
    Carling switches have a good reputation and are also recommended by our friend Stinkfoot.
    If you still have the 3PDT switch you can use the schematic above,or just ignore the third row with the LED if you want to.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.