Crybaby bass CGB-100 - easy mods, tips or tricks?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by wildbill59, Apr 16, 2019.

1. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

I've had this old guy for decades, picked up real cheap. I probably haven't used in about 5 years or so, but I have a renewed interest in pedals and stomp boxes lately so I plugged it in and fired it up. As a bass player, I'm not really in love with bass wahs (although Geezer does nice work on NIB!), but it's kinda cool. I remember being disappointed when I found a chrome MIM Clarostat instead of a yellow or red Fasel in there - don't know if that would make any difference or not, I just think that Fasels are cool. Does anyone else have this pedal, any thoughts, any quick mods or tricks for these? I'm sure that they're kind of muddy and volume-droppy by nature, as is this one, but I don't want to just count it out. upload_2019-4-16_1-15-55.png

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have the guitar version. Looks identical inside. Interesting.

I modded some cap values to give three different voices on a microswitch on the side. I assume these would be different values for a bass model but suspect the mods would work same way. I also modified the range of the sweep slightly mechanically by moving the gears.

I searched Crybaby mods online and then improvised from what I found.

http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/diy.html

https://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-Your-Wah-Pedal/

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?126854-modding-a-crybaby-for-bass-use

wildbill59 likes this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Stock of dimes fasel, and true bypass mod. Checkout stinkfoot.se look under articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill59 likes this.
  4. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

1 capacitor difference between the 100 and the 95. Easy swap.

Screenshot_20190416-173410.jpg

I'd say at least change to true bypass.

I also, got rid of the buffer, added controls for gain, q, frequency range, and a switch for the stock inductor, a fasel or both inductors.

Moving the rack or turning the pot will change the range of the pedal too.

Stinkfoot has a ton of info.

wildbill59 likes this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An easy mod is to change the range of the pedal's sweep.

You probably know that rocking the pedal turns a pot inside the pedal. That pot has more "room" in either direction.

So, if you wish your wah's sweep favored the high or low end a little more, pull back the toothy "stick" that turns the pot (you may have to unscrew that translucent white retainer to get it out of the way), and turn the pot in the direction you want. Just move it by a notch or two and see how you like it. You can always move it more or move it back.

wildbill59 likes this.
  6. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. Yeah, that Stinkfoot has some great info. I think I'll at least go with the bypass mod and play around with the sweep, possibly switch some caps and try the Fasel later. Thanks again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.