Crutchfield

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I guess I got caught up in the Google/You Tube algorithm while looking for TV mounting brackets and recessed receptacles for behind the TV and this video came up in my YT suggestions...

How in the world can they sell a kit like this that is a clear violation of the NEC? Plus, the end result looks dumb as you know what...

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

He gives us a few clues as to how it meets the rules. "UL Listed" is one.

Also, he mentions that the cable in the wall is Romex. It is solidly strain-relieved at both ends. Usually you need a staple close by each box (impossible in old work), but I think the mechanical design of the two wall boxes provides the required strain relief.

As for looking dumb, his discussion of the HDMI cable suggests than the receiver or whatever would be mounted in a low cabinet and would therefore hide the extension cord connecting the existing outlet to the new inlet. All he's really hiding is the short drop from the TV to the cabinet below.

I don't get the whole wall-mount TV thing. If you need a cabinet underneath to house the receiver, DVR, DVD, or whatever, why not just sit the TV on top of the cabinet. It's a lot easier to work on later on when cables need to be plugged or unplugged. I've had both table-top and wall-mount TVs and the latter are a PITA.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I am not a certified electrician, but I have studied the National Code quite thoroughly and have wired a cabin and house. I don’t see any issue whatsoever here. He calls the cable within the wall “Romex” and it looked like it was. It has a uniques male plug at the bottom TV outlet, but there is no power coming out from a safety concern. There seems to be strain reliefs inside each “outlet”, so no issue there either. If I don’t see something here, learn me, because I would like to know.

4. Bones

I don't know, I think an inspector would still consider it an extension cord or power cord buried in the wall.

String Tree, RodeoTex and SacDAve like this.
  5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

So I'm about 8 minutes into it, having a General contractor's license and doing remodel work (many years ago) what I would do is call an electrician to do it at the end of the day it would be to code and look professionally done

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    RodeoTex and Bones like this.
  6. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not to mention there's no way I'm tilting my head up to watch TV unless I'm at the drive-in.

7. Bones

Only the bedroom TV is mounted on the wall, it's a wi-fi only smart TV, just for Prime Video and Netflix, no other boxes or wires and no need for more furniture in the room. Living Room TV is on a cabinet.

8. Bones

Maybe you guys are right, but to me it just looks like a glorified extension cord running up the wall

RodeoTex and SacDAve like this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Isn't the black tv power cord running inside the wall? That certainly isn't romex.
    The whole thing looks hokey.
    I'd just drop a real piece of romex into that existing outlet below and add a remodel box and recessed outlet behind the TV. Probably quicker and cheaper.

10. Bones

That's how i did mine, took about 15 minutes, if that and I don't have a rolled up cord sticking out of the outlet down below.

RodeoTex likes this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Exactly how that box is wired would be key.
    Buyer beware.

12. Obsessed

I think if you watch the video closely, that the cord inside the wall is a flat, stiff three wire “Romex style” wire. White /cream insulation color was typical not all that long ago and certainly approved for 10 gauge that I used for my 12VDC wiring in my walls according to the National Code at the time. Notice how stiff the wire is holding shape suggesting solid wire.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep that's Romex inside the wall. It looks kosher to me. It's strain relieved at each end, and the plug-in is from outside the wall.

Never seen a huge drywall saw like that though. That looks more like a pruning saw. I always use the regular ones with the wooden handle and straight shorter blade.

Interesting tidbit he shared about most electricians nailing the box to the right side of the stud, because most electricians are right-handed. That actually is true

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Obsessed

As I built my house and cabin, I always tried to mount the boxes to the stud on the left too, but I thought I was just being smart after destroying a few boxes.:oops:
    I too though that was more of a pruning saw and certainly not like any Sheetrock saw that I have seen.

15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a sheetrock saw, and they normally aren't real sharp just in case you accidentally run into some Romex. They really don't have to be sharp to cut drywall.

20210804_215417.jpg

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.