Crummiest job you ever had.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Worst job I had was when I was 19, picking daffodils in the fields. Bent over all day long with your feet at the same angle as the furrows. Cutting 12 daffodils at the correct length and wrapping them with a rubber band. I lasted about 3 weeks mainly because I woke up for work one morning and literally could not stand up straight. But it really drove home the need to get an education.

KyAnne likes this.
  2. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Worked fuel cell repair at a DEPOT level, government aircraft repair facility. I was good at it, got many bonuses for cost savings and performance rewards. Easy work for me, but not too terribly healthy. And I hated always smelling of fuel.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Janitor at an enormous (dance club) night club.

It was awful to come in every morning after a packed house the night before and clean up after 900 or so drunken morons.

One thing I learned cleaning those bathrooms every day- women are 1000 X more gross and disgusting than men could ever be. The men's room was trashed every day. But compared to the women's? It was clean enough to have surgery in.

Steve 78, Boomhauer, KyAnne and 2 others like this.
  4. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Let's see... concrete forms worker, janitor, pea factory worker - stacking 55lb boxes of frozen peas into freezer train cars all night long, and graveyard solo gas station attendant...

Good Times!

KyAnne and Milspec like this.
  5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Installing central air conditioning in existing homes in FL in the summer. You'd be trying to tape ducts together and it would sound like it was raining(the sound of your sweat dripping on the ducts). It was hard to keep the ducts dry enough for the tape to stick. You had to perch on the rafters so you didn't fall through the ceiling. Fiberglass insulation everywhere. All in all an itchy dehydrating nightmare of a job.

flathd, KyAnne and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

In the summer of 77 I worked at the local paint can factory, my mother (Betty) had worked there over 20 years earlier, non of the staff or machinery had changed in the intervening years. I spent the first to weeks punching lids from sheet steel, until the machine which fitted the handles to the cans broke down then I spent the next ten weeks manually fitting wire handles.

In 78 I tested the product at the Izal factory, "Now wash your hands".

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Dude, no way. I was cruising past Oglalla once and looked over at my wife. She was sleeping with one eye open and I thought "that's not good, her eye is gonna dry out". I woke her up, she took a big breath of Oglalla and had to gag out the window for ten minutes. Like eating chicken s**t.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Every job, work just wasn't my jam.....

BopT, CK Dexter Haven and Milspec like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Armed Security for a Nuclear Plant stands out. Until I left there, I had averaged 58 hours per week for over 10 years and none of it was voluntary. We normally worked 13 hour shifts (due to weapon turn on) that flipped from nights to days with just one day off in between. I don't think I ever had more than 4 hours of sleep on any given night.

To add to the hour woes, the pressure was intense. If you made any mistake or discovered dozing off, you were fired immediately, no discussion. Over-sleep and miss the start of shift...fired. Miss part of a patrol...fired. Pretty much any mistake of any kind....fired.

It paid very well with all that overtime, but it was not worth it. I resigned and now make about half of that amount, but I sure don't miss it.

KyAnne and pdcorlis like this.
  10. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Worst job I had was my first job back in my teens. I worked at Burger King and made food there. It would have been a lot better if there would have been an AC system or at least some sort of ventilation there. Most days you wouldn't get a lunch break, and the shifts were normally over 10 hours (due to lots of call offs).

Back to the AC: I was literally surrounded by a bun toaster, deep fryer, french fry warming tray, hot oven, bun steamer, and the flame broiler (literally shot flames or of the top). For perspective, I'd leave work on a hot and humid August day, and I would feel cold chills. Wish I wouldn't have been so young and stupid then, I would have gotten in touch with some safety people I know now from doing my OSHA certifications.

That was a really terrible job I did for just under a year.

Second place is working at Sears. Worked there for about 3 years at minimum wage, no raises and no vacation time. Terrible management to boot, it was pretty shady working there.

KyAnne likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have to agree with you on the best job....Marines ('86-'2003). Off by 2pm on Friday and at the beach all weekend. I wish I would have stayed there.

KyAnne likes this.
  12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

When I was 14 I spent the hot Arizona summer caddying at a country club on the other side of a dry river from where I lived. When the river was dry (mostly), I'd just walk my bike across it and then ride the couple of remaining miles. When the storms came, I had to ride several more miles to cross at a bridge. I was a skinny little kid and I almost always carried two enormous bags at a time, twice a day, a round in the morning and then two other guys in the afternoon. It was almost always crazy hot, country club folks carry a LOT of clubs because they don't actually carry more than one at a time. And in the midst of all that they'd get pissed at me if I couldn't find their ball after they hit into the depths of the surrounding desert. Super hard and exhausting work and the tips were only good when someone played REALLY well, which didn't happen a lot. But it got me in shape for football season which started two-a-days in August, so that was about the only positive. And the caddy foreman was one of the funniest golf hustlers I ever met - he was like a younger Lee Trevino who never quite made it past the caddy-shack...

-Ray

13. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

My own personal worst job was at a small machine shop in Portland, ran by the owner and his son. Got constant butt-chewings for something every day. I was always nervous, ya know? Some of these I deserved, but most of them were of the "undeserved variety butt-chewing". I recall the owner's son (who I actually got along with well; his father was a Jerk.....) telling me that after working there 4 months, I had lasted longer than any other employee they'd had. Everyone before me had been fired, or quit, before that point........

I've had "physically tough" jobs, like digging ditches in Oklahoma, or working in an Aluminum smelter here in OR, but the folks I worked with and our attitudes seemed to make these jobs tolerable. Which goes a long way in determining whether a job is "crummy" or not......

In the 1970s in Oklahoma, a teenager could always find a job. Hauling hay in the summers, to factory jobs in town. I quit more jobs than I can recall because I wanted to take a week off for a big motorcycle race I wanted to ride, or to do stuff with my family or friends. I would ask for time off, and they would usually say "No, you haven't been here long enough to have vacation time!!" And I would reply "Well, looks like you need a new (insert whatever my job title was at the time), because I'm taking an extended vacation! Adios, Hoss!" I was so cocky & confident back then, but never was without a job (crummy, or otherwise) unless I wanted to be without one. To this day, I still hate for employers to think "they own you", ya know?

Basically, all these jobs, good & bad, served a great purpose to a directionless soul like myself. They helped me to figure out what I DIDN'T WANT to do for a living, and made it easier for me to decide what I could tolerate......

Jimmie

KyAnne and richiek65 like this.
  14. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

Standing for 12 hours in one spot running a plastic bottle molding machine at an air temp of about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Nope. Finished the shift and never went back.

KyAnne likes this.
  15. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Chicken farm as a teenager. Lasted 3 days. Scarred for life. And I only buy free range organic eggs now. Worth every extra penny.

16. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

And commercial roofing at places like a certain nuclear power plant that nearly blew the entire eastern seaboard in '79 during an extreme heatwave with guards pointing .12 gauges. Funk that.

KyAnne likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's places you just wouldn't wanna die in, and well, that right there is one of them. You ain't seen a filthy restroom until you somehow end up in a trucker's terminal bathroom for the ladies. Just walking through the door, you decide you know maybe I don't need to go so bad, if I do there's always my underwear.

Steve 78, Jakedog and KyAnne like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

But how can you be certain?! :mad::D:lol:

19. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Huh?

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

First job out of school... working in a pineapple canning factory....

sticky/acid juice all over you.... no fun....lasted 4 days....:(

I was doing night college/Surveying at the time and eventually got a cadetship at a local firm... that was fun, out on the land all day....:)

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.