Cruddy '73 Silverface Twin

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by dsutton24, May 15, 2016.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was lurking in a pawn shop last I visit weekly, and sitting in the corner was a cruddy old Silverface Twin Reverb. I looked at the price tag, expecting to see the usual weird pricing strategy, but $200.00... Really?... Hmmm... That internal debate lasted seven seconds. I paid up and got the heck out. I was so flummoxed I didn't even ask them to eat the sales tax!

Everything points to it being a 90% plus original 1973. There have been a few minor repairs over the years, most of the caps are originals. It looks like it belonged to a local shop that does a lot of backline rentals at one point, so it probably only got what it needed to function. I haven't powered it up at all, I wanted to give it a good eyeballing before doing anything stupid. The shop I bought it from claimed it works, and their track record has been good, but at first glance it looks salvageable.

Back of cabinet. It's got a pair of 16Ω Eminence OEM speakers in it, they'll probably get changed. The Groove Tubes and the rest look like they're probably original to the amp:

[​IMG]

Front of cabinet, dirty but it's all there:

[​IMG]

Complete chassis underside, dirty but intact:

[​IMG]

Power cord wiring. The polarity switch and DEATH CAP (gawd, I love that term! :D) are still there. It's got a three wire cord, but that'll all have to be reworked:

[​IMG]

Under the doghouse. Hey! One cap has been changed, that'll ruin its value! The others have 1972 date codes on them:

[​IMG]

It'll be a long-ish term project. Obviously it's going to need a cap job before doing anything else. I had a Twin of about the same vintage years ago, and regret having to sell it. This one should keep that itch scratched for a while.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Just another reason I don't go bargain hunting anymore.
    I have NO self control.

Enjoy!

Archtop Bill and t guitar floyd like this.
  3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, why would you go to all the trouble, and only replace one of those caps under the doghouse? Doing the financial minimum to keep it going, I guess, but rather shortsighted IMO. Great deal though, good luck with it!

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Great score.
    Twins work.

5. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Nothing does clean and warm like a TR

The Groove Tubes are replacements from no earlier than the '80's. The previous owner that swapped them out was likely thinking of them as a fresh upgrade to the original "tired" RCAs or GEs.

That's how my old blackline Twin got to sport a quad of Realistic "Lifetime" 6L6GCs. :oops:

Wally likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Holy frijoles, nice score! The Craigslist gods have been smiling on me lately, but you have me beat, my friend.

7. dsutton24

I remember the Groove Tube hype from years ago, but that was an 80s thing? That's useful information. They were probably replaced when the single filter cap was :) The tubes in this beast are all older tubes, 'original' is probably a stretch now that I think about it. There aren't any if the tubes you see today, the JJs or eastern bloc stuff. What's called 'NOS' today would probably be more accurate.

I remember the Lifetime Radio Shack tubes. I've got an old transformerless table radio with a dud 50C5 in it. Lifetime, my foot! The phone salesman at RS didn't know anything about it.:D

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Great deal. The price gives you room to put a great set of speakers in there and recap it ending up with a killer players grade amp. I would leave the tubes be unless you had reason to think they are bad.

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you're lucky those Groove Tubes might be USA tubes and still good.
    Looks like the tubes on the right have been running hotter. My theory on the GT paint is they used something that burnt pretty easy. People see its faded and buy new tubes.

I thought I got a deal on my dirty SFTR. but I got Royaly hosed at 300 !

srinivassa likes this.
  10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I hear Kerry King upgraded his Death Cap to an Angel of Death Cap in his twin. It helps with the clean headroom for Slayers love ballad Dead Skin Mask.

dsutton24 and fendertx like this.
  11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Damn, I bet it'd be hard to get the Cab and empty chassis for $200. Good score on getting a whole amp for that.

Blue Bill likes this.
  12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Great amps. Great score! Here is my 73 TR for comparison. Far left of the PT you'll see the Canadian requirement of some type of thermal safety switch.
    I got mine, speakerless for $200 Canadian. About $150 US. I had a pair of JBL K120-12s kicking around so I put those in. I love it.

[​IMG]

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

There's dating info on that site. It says the pull boost started in 1974. What's strange on this amp is the 72 dated filter caps. The first two are 70uf where I'd expect 100uf.
    Other wierd thing is the brown coupling caps on a pull boost MV SFTR. I'd expect to see the 70s era blue drop caps in that amp.
    Not that any of this really matters I just find it interesting. :)

14. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Good jobs guys

saving the planet one rescued twin at a time.

I figure that every rescued twin can prevent 20 new amps from being built

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I need to shop where you shop!!! You've scored other deals before iirc.

16. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I've never seen a schematic for a TR that wasn't a 4 ohm speaker impedance load. Those 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel would equate to a total of 8 ohms load. Really too high for that amp. When you replace the speakers make sure you get 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get the required 4 ohm load.

17. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

BTW, nice score!

18. dsutton24

They should be 4Ω total for this amp. It may be the previous owner used an external cab across the existing speakers. He may have had a Crate speaker fetish. Maybe he was a doofus, who knows. The speakers will probably get replaced once the heavy lifting is done.

The dating on anything 'Fender' is mind bending sometimes. This amp has some of those Fender dating hallmarks. The serial number points toward '73, the transformer codes and cap date codes are '72. Leo never threw anything away, or so they say. CBS apparently adopted some of those same ideas.

Wow, that's clean!

19. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

Man, that looks like garbage to me! You old guys are crazy refurbing this old stuff. I would save myself one colossal headache, and just buy a Mustang II for the same money.

20. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

One man's trash is another man's treasure...and vice versa.

Big tuna likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.