CROWS: and their fascinating behaviors and intelligane

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I have been reading About Crows. After reading everything on line that I can find on P-90 pickups Telecasters The ProCo Rat and it's variants, I though having read an article about crows that Youtube might be just the place to look, right again.
The result of National Geographic adult sesame Street on Youtube, I have a project starting with feeding crows in my large back yard behind the Hotel Derelict. I found out what the eat what they like to eat how to make Suet for them that can be filled with lots of there favorite nuts seeds, dried fruit, fresh fruit etc etc etc showing up regularly with food allowing a crow to observe my leaveing food at a regulat time and working in a sound that I can make announcing my feeding, a constant place were the food is left and eventually they will see me because this behavior will be observed even if I dont see them . There are lots of safe places to perch light pole roof tops different level of the hotel roofs, and trees .
paying no attention to them at first and presenting no threat.

This is a very cheap form of entertainment with possibly long term possibilities. I am curious about crows and how much the know about us.

000 crows.jpg

bebopbrain

Tele-Meister
We had a baby crow for a pet. It's a long story and I think the statute of limitations has expired, but a roommate's aunt was a veterinarian and we ended up with Cuervito.

The sound that bird would make in the morning still haunts me; had to be the center of attention all the time. If you wanted to read the newspaper he would play with the newspaper. If you wanted to eat, he would play with your fork. A real bad ass. Taught himself to fly just like that (our apartment was 3000 sq ft, one room). We had a lamp with a pull string and bob hanging down. He would fly by, pull the bob in flight, and toggle the lamp. I still wonder if he made it in the wild after we let him go.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
I've read that they are very smart and can somewhat "count" and have "lookout" brethren as well. Also there ARE recipes for them in case you ever have to "eat crow". :)

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
A study was done in England years ago, where people wearing masks either behaved in a friendly manner to crows or acted hostile towards them.

The next day, ALL the crows in the flock recognized which masks were friendly and which weren't.

Somehow the handful of crows who interacted with these people had managed to convey the facts of the situation to all their comrades.

The next year the experiment was repeated. All the adult crows still remembered which masks were which. And fledglings which hadn't even been alive the previous year knew it too.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
A study was done in England years ago, where people wearing masks either behaved in a friendly manner to crows or acted hostile towards them.

The next day, ALL the crows in the flock recognized which masks were friendly and which weren't.

Somehow the handful of crows who interacted with these people had managed to convey the facts of the situation to all their comrades.

The next year the experiment was repeated. All the adult crows still remembered which masks were which. And fledglings which hadn't even been alive the previous year knew it too.

Yes I saw that. yeah it laid out a bunch of cool behaviors great video

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
Does anyone here know what you call a group of Crow's ? If you manage to kill one of the members of a murder without a sentry raising the alarm , the remainder will either kill or drive off the sentry that failed . They are organized . An Owl decoy will draw them in very effectively for hunting purposes .

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
We have a pair of crows who live here and nest every year in a very big tree a couple of gardens down. Good friends of ours.

Old Norfolk saying to help tell the difference between rooks and crows - if there are crows they're rooks. If there's a rook it's a crow.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
no way... the show about the smart crows is on TV tonight, Animal Einsteins.

I started watching as it ran on from the previous show and went, Hey! this looks familiar...o_O:D

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
A guy across the street years ago had a pet crow .It's name was Ellsworth . Nolan taught this crow to speak and it would fly about looking for whatever school room he was in and spoke or yelled as he sat on the window ledge . The only problem was that this crow only knew/spoke his name and obscenities . Needless to say , there was a Borough Council meeting concerning the actions of Ellsworth . If I recall correctly , Nolan was forced to put the crow down after a few unsuccessful attempts at relocating the bird .

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Our notion that other animals cannot learn and share experience and process stepwise tasks and mourn and feel joy is not based in research. It’s based on our mandate to separate ourselves from the rest of the animal kingdom. Not saying humans aren’t awesome, just that many of the exclusive traits of humanity are not so exclusive.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fishing a few years ago, getting near dusk and trolling around this island, seemed like all the crows in the area roost here. There were so many crows I had to stop and take a video. They would land in the trees, then all fly off as if something startled them, and fly back. Eventually they all settled in for the night.