1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Crossroads Movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jan 23, 2021.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In the "Seldom Seen Old Pics of Famous Musicians" thread, this post has a couple of pics of Ralph Macchio and Arlen Roth:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it gets a lot of flack, but Crossroads is one of the favorite movies of my youth, if not one of the favorites of all time. When I was 13, there were a handful of things nudging me towards picking up the guitar, and this was one of the big ones. At 17, in my senior year of High School, I played Eugene's Trick Bag at the talent show.

Yet, I was completely oblivious to the role of Arlen Roth. I had thought that the blues-telecaster stuff was all played by Ry Cooder, and the metal-jackson stuff was all Steve Vai (except Eugene's Trick Bag on the Telecaster). Other stuff I had read about it even had Ry Cooder saying he was trying to teach Macchio how to mime the guitar parts. Sure enough, Arlen has a rundown of his role in the film on his website:

https://www.arlenroth.com/crossroads

He was basically screwed, at least as far as recognition goes. That's a real bummer, but thanks to @Gibson for pointing me towards this nugget of knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Gibson, emisilly, DonM and 13 others like this.
  2. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

That movie is a guilty pleasure. I have the soundtrack LP too, which has some really good stuff in it.

Funny story, I took my then GF (now wife) and younger brother to see it in when it came out. In the scene where they're approaching Greenville she whispers...not very quietly..."Hey, that's where I was born!" Two seconds later Fulton says, "Lotta fine lookin' women from Greenville....yeah, it's known for *****!"

A chuckle ran through the entire audience. :lol:

emisilly, Mad Kiwi, DonM and 8 others like this.
  3. cometazzi

Haha!

Hopefully the LP has the actual recordings from the movie. I bought the CD way back and was disappointed in that it was re-recordings by studio musicians.

Steerforth likes this.
  4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Yep. You can add me to the @Maricopa “Guilty Pleasure” list. I like it. Can’t be helped.

I was also unaware of Arlen Roth’s contributions to the film. Nice to know. I don’t think that was common knowledge. I could be wrong, but I was unaware of it.

DonM and CV Jee Beez like this.
  5. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I enjoyed it too - I don't think it was meant to be taken too seriously. What did it cop flak for?

Steerforth likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not ashamed to say I like the film...I’m not a cinematic snob.

It has a good story, good acting, good music and a good resolution/ending...there’s the subtext of “good vs evil,” whether hard work and talent can beat out a quick bargain, and whether anybody would ever get what they want in a deal with the devil.

There’s several good/very good actors in the cast; Joe Morton, Robert Judd, Harry Carey, Jr., Joe Seneca...

Jami Gertz was perfectly believable in a role that, when examined, is sadder than the surface depicts (she’s destined for exploitation).

While it would have been cool if Stevie Ray Vaughan had played the role of Jack Butler (it has been rumored that he was considered for the role), Steve Vai perfectly depicted a sinister, intimidating force of un-natural talent; but when he lost the contest, the realization that he sold his soul for (ultimately) nothing was sickeningly real...he just dropped his guitar and wandered off-stage, realizing he was truly lost.

It also accurately depicts race relations and segments of the culture of Mississippi, which is sadly true down to this day.

Yes, it’s a little cheesy and has a few goofy 80’s tropes, but it’s not a bad film.

If it had not been embraced so strongly by “Blooze Daddies” (a prerogative term I dislike) and the ubiquitous Fedoras and string ties, the film would not be as mocked as it is today.

E5RSY, Maricopa, thunderbyrd and 2 others like this.
  7. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Love this movie from the first time I saw it. Saw it on cable as a cable new release. The majority of my playing has been with non-telecasters. I have always considered getting or wanting a Tele. I finally did in 2014. I'm a tele guy through and through now (even though it doesn't have a trem). I attribute it to Crossroads. It must have subconsciously meant to me that if you aren't awesome through a Tele, you're probably are not awesome AND a tele can do it all.

Thanks OP... this movie is a big part of my youth and life. Revenge of The Nerds too BTW.

Tdurden032 and Steerforth like this.
  8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Guilty!

Steerforth likes this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Ain’t nothing wrong with that movie.
    Says the man whose favorite is Smokey and the Bandit!

10. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve always lined that movie.

11. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

One of my favorites! I never considered it a guilty pleasure at all.

I had read about Arlen Roth's involvement elsewhere, perhaps in some interview I read long ago...

12. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Loved the movie apart from the Steve Vai guitar dual ending.

Willie Johnson likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I thought it was very entertaining. The script was a little "Hollywood", but the storyline was believable if you really believe the Devil at the Crossroads story. I loved Ry Cooder's music all through it, and in the end, his classical training chops pulled him through. It was my first introduction to Steve Vai as I was unfamiliar with him before that.

14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I'll admit being bummed about who they chose as the devil. Dub him in if you have to, but let (insert 50 cool blues guys who were still alive then here) play the part.

15. cometazzi

I had to look up "blooze daddies", as I must be completely out of the loop on this one.

And yes, I agree that there are some very good actors, and they chose some great people from the role. Their characters were all very believable. This includes Macchio, and I personally don't have a problem with Steve Vai playing Jack Butler. SRV would have been great also, but Vai is definitely more menacing. Him 'blowing it' at the end is one of the few parts where it got kind of cheesy, or at least the immersion thins out. Second to that is the part where he takes off his guitar, takes off his jacket, puts the guitar back on, turns around and goes "meedly-meedly-meedly-meedly-meedly" in a blistering descending run, then cues the band to start up. Those chops show that he should have been able to play the classical piece at the end at speed.

Even though it's highly processed and very much 1980s, I *love* Vai's tone on that section. I also love the tones that were on the Telecaster. Smoky, thick and snarly. On the slide work the Tele was downright rude, in a good way. The arpeggios on the Tele in the finale were angelic-sounding. Beautiful stuff.

Ry Cooder's stuff throughout the movie was amazing. I've never heard blues music like that before or since. I've listened to a few of Cooder's albums, but they don't sound like that.

Without getting into danger territory with the socio-political subject, I too am glad they showed the racial side of the South. Too many movies now would sanitize that. It's unfortunate that things are that way, but we won't change anything if we just pretend it's not there.

I just might watch it again tonight, actually. Hah!

Mad Kiwi and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

one of my all-time favorite movie quotes...
    upload_2021-1-23_20-38-9.png

iowa likes this.
  17. RobSells

RobSells NEW MEMBER!

18. cometazzi

That was awesome. I laughed through the whole thing.

19. cometazzi

That's a good one. I've actually used some quotes from that movie in real life. Namely:

"Chicken a$$, chicken $h|t"
    "Now are you gonna stand up and be somebody or are you gonna go call your mama on the telephone?"
    "Muddy Waters invented electricity!"

And one that stuck with me growing up: "How can you learn anything new if you know everything already?"

It's often made me stop and think, and has been humbling. Sometimes I took the opportunity to shut up and listen.

codamedia likes this.
  20. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Switched from Strats to Teles about that time. I wish I could credit that to the movie:D Great movie.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.