1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Crossroads Johnny Winter.. what happened?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IggyT, Jun 29, 2010.

1. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

Hes allowed it happens but ouch.
    I saw Robin Trower on a bad night a couple of years ago so yup it happens,
    I was disturbed by the guitar with no headstock in the JW vid.
    Whats Edgar up to these days?

2. firefuocco

firefuocco Tele-Holic

I don't know about Jeff Beck, but Paul & Ringo I guess have had a very easy life since the Beatles. They effectively retired before 30. Okay Paul did Wings, but my point is these guys didn't have to do the hard living, hard touring thing for long.

I saw JW a couple of months ago, I enjoyed him but don't have any reference to what he was previously like.

3. bigdaddy55021

bigdaddy55021 TDPRI Member

You could have written the same thing in 1975, no?

4. napawino

napawino Tele-Holic

I've seen Johnny a dozen times , going back to the 70's.

The man's not had an easy road. Like someone said...good days and bad days....

I will be very sad when he's gone. I still would have enjoyed seeing that performance live.

Johnny Winter And, LIVE is one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time.

And that man could play the blues.........lawdy, lawdy, lawdy, that man could play the blues....

5. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

A friend of mine was at that Crossroads show and said that it was beastly hot. Perhaps Johnny, in his fragile condition, was just not able to deal with the heat?

Tim

6. tbradshaw

tbradshaw Tele-Meister

Are we sure that's not the Johnny Winter Shreds video?

7. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Yes please cut him some slack. I just watched that video twice trying my hardest to understand what he was 'attempting' to do. But sadly, I don't think his fingers or his body is to blame for this...I think his mind was lost and/or confused, jumping from place to place. This is NOT something that comes from age, as BB King or Buddy Guy can attest to.

I believe it's the drugs messing with his mind. He has lost some control and therefore should not be blamed at this point...it's just sad. JMHO...I could be wrong. He was great back in the day!

8. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

That's funny!
    At least something's humorous about this "performance"...because everything else about it is so poignantly sad.

9. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

that statement implies that he HAD a good voice at one time......

I would have said his voice got WORSE.... if that is possible.

I wouldn't compare the two, Johnny Winters was a MUCH better guitar player, and his voice was not a nasley mumbled drone.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Drugs--not drugs, who knows? Take the easy explanation if you like, but you don't really know. BB is BB, Buddy Guy is Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck is Jeff Beck, and JW is JW. Look at Keith Richards, not exactly the poster boy for temperance, and he's still going strong. There is no formula for aging, some people are sharp til they're a hundred, others lose it much earlier, some people are already gone and hopefully RIP.

People have been writing off Johnny for decades, actually it's amazing he's still ticking after what he's put himself through. I don't think they would have brought him up if he has just totally lost it, a bad day is a reasonable thought. It's possible he just couldn't hear himself, too, I've seen performances where not old people have been totally off. I'm not making excuses for him, maybe he's lost it, and maybe his addictions are the cause, but those are assumptions.

His song at the last Crossroads was great I thought, three years ago.

Go Johnny!

11. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

12. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

I love this man. He's one of the best, but I think he's pretty open about the fact that he used to be a junkie. I mean, that may not be the reason that he's not as good as he was as a younger fella, but he has definitely not treated himself well.

13. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

Man, that bit where he's getting his sound together at the beginning is the best part! Killer video.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

We will all get old... Our minds and bodies will fail us all, some sooner... some later...
    ...have respect.

15. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

That was deadly. jeezus.

You see how impressed the "other guitarist*" is. When you put a smile on that dude's face you know you done something right.

*the guy not named GE Smith

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

We know he took them and was a junkie, that's no secret, by "who knows" I meant, who knows what effects they are having now.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep those other links are great.

Hey, maybe he had a couple too many drinks to clam his nerves before hitting the stage?

I also remember a YT posted here (now removed) of Neal Schon playing with Albert King, off key. He apparently couldn't hear himself.

18. chet

chet Banned

I doubt if BB or Buddy Guy would "attest" to anything about it.

19. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

Mid sixties ain't all that old. Drugs and booze suck for what they do to your body over time.

I had to do a gig that night, but the guy who took my ticket mentioned how sad it was to see JW in such poor health, yet he was thrilled to see him at all. A blues legend.

On the up side, he said that Sonny Landreth and Albert Lee totally smoked the place.

20. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Old Johnny Winter fan here - that Crossroads clip is sad -

but "Highway 61 Revisited" as played by Johnny Winter is one of those rare perfect matches of artist and song. It is as though it was written for him - and he was born to play it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.