Crossing the Road Rage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Odd; the only story like the OP's i've heard before also occurred on university property and involved students. Can't help but wonder if there is a sense of entitlement involved?

GibbyTwin, DrPepper and Dan R like this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Seems like everybody's looking for a fight, or maybe a quick lawsuit these days. Being smart is more important than being right.

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Popular culture promotes tough guys as idols and role models. "Don't take no **** from no one" is the recommended attitude, of you want to "survive". How this became an issue in the 1st world is amazing. I travel a lot of 3rd world countries and I don't get these attitudes from people who live on $2 a day. WHAT THE **** IS EVERYONE ANGRY ABOUT !!!??? ... ooops, sorry... :rolleyes:

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all for the responses.

I'd just like to put things into perspective for a moment. I spoke to two close friends yesterday. Both are dealing with end of life issues with their Mother. One has had a severe stroke and in a coma, the other is in failing health and no longer able to care for herself. I have lost both of my parents and know how hard and stressful this is for them. I lived through similar situations with my parents. It makes my problem pale in comparison. So I listen and offer advice if I am asked.

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

This is one of those times when it’s acceptable to just do your best to imagine the worst. It’s probably worse than even that.

6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Something similar happened to me, but the guy made contact with my face after his fist shattered the window. My jaw still clicks twenty years later.

william tele likes this.
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Let her try that in my neck of the woods... a good percentage of the drivers come from places where pedestrians don't have the same rights, she would get run down quick...

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Rage is all the rage this year.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Yesterday on the way home from Lowe's we were stopped at a red light. The signal changed to green but the cars ahead didn't move for a considerable amount of time. Finally, out the other side of three thru lanes, and a turn lane someone on an electric wheel chair came into sight! I'm not complaining, I'm glad I'm not in a wheel chair, that's not the point. He was so far below traffic he wasn't visible to anyone but those in the front row of cars waiting to go. It's wonder that they all held their ground. It was easy to imagine someone using the turn lane not being aware someone was crossing against the red could easily have struck the pedestrian. The guy in the wheel chair isn't going to last too long if he keeps crossing the street on red lights. I hope he proves my prediction wrong, but he's living in a city, and county where pedestrian fatalities are common.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Really? :rolleyes:

maxvintage likes this.
  11. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Brilliant...

You flipped off an unstable street person.... What the heck were you thinking?

I must admit I did a lot more of that until I started CCW and was trained to avoid all confrontations. There's plenty of people who were "right" 6' under right this second.....

I gave up having to get last word and being right all the time....(Unless it's on an internet forum! :D).

TEX

12. Toto'sDad

Two guys that I personally knew one from the town I lived in, and one from a small town I used to live in had the who will win, a street fighter or trained boxer argument one night. Finally, they decided to find out, the trained boxer was outweighed by at least fifty pounds. The street fighter had fought from the time he was about ten years old, they were both in their twenties. The big guy downed the smaller guy right off the bat. Since the little guy was a trained boxer, he just couldn't accept it, they had another go about two hours later with the same outcome. Finally on the third try, the boxer came out with a knife and stabbed the big guy in the heart, he died instantly. The boxer then turned on the guy next to one he had stabbed and cut his stomach wide open.

Fast forward about a year, the wife of the deceased secretly made her arrangements then drove to the cemetery parked near her husbands grave, pinned a note to dress, that she could not live without her husband, and shot herself in the temple with a .25 auto. Her father in law found her when she didn't come back home. She left two small children behind. The guy who killed her husband finally got out of jail about fifteen years later. He ran his girlfriend off the road and killed her in a roll over accident. He went back to jail, and would die there.

The fellow who had his stomach cut open had to be operated on three times, he is still alive today, and has a successful business, and played music for more than twenty five years after the incident. The point of the whole thing is, but for the altercation, both might have went on living. I knew them both, and even though both would fight at the drop of a hat, neither had ever said or did anything out of the way with me. I had the good sense to either exit, or shut my mouth at the slightest instance where it might turn into a provocation. Much like if you saw a rattlesnake shaking his tail at you, you might to want to step nimbly out of his path.

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Did the genius specify what the charges would be?

maxvintage likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

We pass through a bad part of town on occasion getting home from the golf course. It's only a couple of miles, but you see just about every loony you can imagine. A guy crossing against the light one day swerved in front of me, and I instinctively honked the horn at him, because I didn't think he saw me, since he was coming from the side of the road blocked by a big truck. He went berserk! By the time he could gather his obviously inebriated in some way self together I was long gone, but it made me consider whether the 97% of the nice ride home was worth the chance of running into loonies. We travel through a large beautiful park when we come that way, go along the bluffs, where there is another park, but to reach our side of town have to cross the stretch of loonies. Probably better to skip the good to avoid the bad.

15. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

TEX[/QUOTE]
    He was informed by the Police several times that giving the high sign is NOT against the law.

Toto'sDad and LutherBurger like this.
  16. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Not a street person at all. Just ordinary people looking for a fight. Who hasn't instinctively honked a horn or flipped someone off for scaring the Hell out of them with dangerous behavior? It was an INSULT, nothing more. Does that entitle someone to attack? Your rights end where my nose begins. Thanks for 'understanding', I guess.

17. Toto'sDad

Sometimes we just react. As you say, flipping a guy off is not worthy of getting your window knocked out, no matter what went on. If I had ran down everyone who flipped me off when I was driving a big rig, I would be world famous right now. Most of the time I didn't have it coming anyway, but of course once in a while the guy with the bird was right!

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Off topic a bit but... Last year a road rage guy accosted a motorcyclist on the freeway here near Seattle. He didn't know it was a woman. She was forced to pull over, the guy got out of his truck and went for her. She shot him dead in self defense right there. No charges. brings a tear to the eye doesn't it?

PlainAllman and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Don't take your rage to town son, leave your rage at home son...

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Well it seem as if all parties involved have a sense of entitlement--the driver and the pedestrians both feel entitled. Which is understandable, and no criticism of the OP implied. I'd just point out that cars are no more entitled to the road than pedestrians--both have paid for the road with taxes, for example.

verb boten likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.