Crossing the Road Rage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I share this view. What happened??

Hop2it likes this.
  2. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Woman did that in my town, because a car didn't stop for her at the crosswalk, she got run over.
    Turns out the driver was on their phone, didn't see her step out into the road.
    Might be cheaper so run her over, rid the World of a problem and let your insurance pay for it.

I never think people are paying attention, unless I meet their eyes.

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Question. In the US and Canada: are you legally obliged to stop and yield at marked pedestrian crossing if a pedestrian is present/waiting to cross?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I think it a common curtesy. In California if a pedestrian is in a crosswalk you can not drive into the crosswalk until the pedestrian completely is out of the cross walk. Every now and then they crack down on this handing out tickets.

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

So in California its the law - pedestrians have priority at marked crossings.

Is it the same in other states?

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

and to think he met her on tinder after muttering 'I need some crazy in my life' near his phone... she pops up, she says, 'lets take an aggressive walk through the historical district' and the rest is history!

Good luck in court... remember, justice is blind.

Dan R and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. getbent

it varies. but in Ca, the least able rule the road... cars must give deference to walkers, bikes etc... in marked AND unmarked areas...

so in Dan's story, I fully recognize all the characters, the only difference is that here... you'd have to wait and wait and wait for everyone to clear before you'd go and you'd be used to it, so probably no altercation.

other states are more 'even' that both must share, but here, we are supposed to and expected to give way to the less able if we are a car.

boris bubbanov and maxvintage like this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If I've learned anything from TV, it's that posting to social media about pending court matters might not be the best path.

And that punching out a car window is not very easy.

Grateful Ape and getbent like this.
  10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

You say this but the whole mythology of the American West is built on the exact opposite.

I agree about the importance of civility—could not agree more. I just doubt that people used to be more civil.

getbent likes this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

While you are clearly in the right in what you describe, it might be that pedestrians DO have the right of way. I’m not sure of the law in SC, but I at looked on the map and the area you were driving into is very urban and there’s a farmers market in the park? Possibly pedestrians do have the legal way if they are strolling to and from a farmers market it might be that the car seems like the intruder.

Good luck in you court case, the other guy was clearly in the wrong.

12. getbent

do you bite your thumb at me sir!

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the cross walkers have even a half- competent lawyer - the OP might be in for it.

Geoff Fieger (Kevorkians lawyer/king of slip and fall) would hand that case to one of his jr attorneys and if they couldn’t squeeze money from somebody ? They wouldn’t work there anymore.

14. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

So there are 2 questions in the post?

1. Did the car, at any point in time, have priority?

2. Was the reaction of the spouse of the pedestrian an agression or a defense?

I think OP thinks that only 2. will be under consideration and given the description, he should be in the right.

15. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Yes, maxvintage you are generally correct. I want to make it clear that I allowed them to cross the road, the problem occurred when the woman went back into the street as I got closer. I never gave them any trouble crossing the street. It was as if she was playing 'chicken' with me. If they had simply kept walking there would never have been an issue. Bear in mind I am going about 5 miles an hour here in heavy traffic. We have to stop all the time for pedestrians even if we have the green light.

To play 'chicken' with a moving vehicle is foolish but people here do it all the time. It will be interesting to find out if they are tourists or not.

16. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Not a cross walk there, just part of the street. I looked up the law in SC and I'm in the clear.

Well the police did not think breaking someone's window was an appropriate response and he was charged. I don't think I have anything to worry about. Willful destruction of property is a crime, a misdemeanor, but a crime nonetheless.

SECTION 56 5 3150. Crossing at other than crosswalks. (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  17. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Looks like you'll win. Now take 'em for all their worth. Prolly in the 10s of dollars!

Texicaster likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The California driver's handbook says you are to YIELD to pedestrians in marked, and unmarked crosswalks. In theory the pedestrian usually has the right of way. In reality, lots of pedestrians get run over in California. Also in the U.S. pedestrian deaths continue to rise increasing 43 percent since 2008. Draw whatever conclusions you will from that, my personal opinion observing the continually rising percentage of drivers who don't give a whit about the drivers they share the road with, is that drivers are selfish and careless in the extreme, and getting more so each passing year. I drove a diesel truck for many years, I saw a marked decline in respect of drivers for the people the shared the road with. I can only imagine how bad it is for professional drivers of today. I only have to walk out of the neighborhood I live in a couple of blocks to the nearest through street to witness absolutely insane exhibitions of speed on the four lane through way. The traffic control lights seem to serve the same purpose as the starting lights at the local dragstrip.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah , okay but you’re forgetting one point - the law is one thing. Lawyers are something else entirely.

Why do people still get settlements because they injured themselves breaking into someone’s house ?

Riddle me that Batman...

Toto'sDad and verb boten like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Thinking about this, it may have a lot to do with the stresses of overcrowding. I have a son living on the upper east side of Manhattan. Every time I visit, I encounter aggressive drivers, pedestrians, and bicycle food delivery people. The mayor, like him or not, is trying to alleviate vehicle overcrowding by making access more costly and by converting traffic lanes into use specific lanes. This only increases the frustration of drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, and even pigeons and rats. I don’t know how to reduce overcrowding without draconian measures but it looks to me like the city will have to migrate to a true 24 hour schedule of operations with public access permits limited to time of day. Impossible? Can’t happen? I can’t see how a population increase in the city of 20% won’t force the issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.