Crossing the Road Rage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm glad no one got hurt. Have fun in court. I sued my idiot landlord a couple years ago after he tried to stiff me on my security deposit. It was pretty sweet hearing the judge practically cuss him out for being a moron. I got all my money plus court costs. I didn't go for further damages, which, I was informed, I would certainly win. I figured it wouldn't make me happy. I felt good enough getting what was mine already. Good luck.

Remember the old bumper sticker? Horn broken, watch for finger!

Dan R and JayFreddy like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Ain't that the truth. And aside from that, a guy standing up hitting down on a guy sitting down is a sure fire formula for devastating the guy sitting. It's a good thing the OP didn't get hit!

nojazzhere and william tele like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

What a pita that you have to attend court due to that guys stupid actions. Seems like a massive waist of resources and your time. If common sense and justice were still fashionable the cops could have just taken enough cash from the guy to repair the window with a little on top for your troubles and be done with it.

I've been a victim of road rage before until the guy pulled up next to me at the lights and I started making pole smoking gestures at him while making sure everyone else at the lights could see by beeping the horn in short bursts. He looked extremely angry in the rear view mirror but more embarrassed and scared when I was parked next to him contemplating which tool to grab from the back of the pickup and smash his head in with if he attacked me.

All because he wanted to speed and I refused to go over the speed limit to accommodate him.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

On my way from my son's house the other night on a nice cross town thru street of six lanes, a new Audi Q7 SUV passed me doing what I would conservatively estimate as doing ninety miles an hour. This was at ten o'clock at night! If he had encountered a red light runner, or someone had swerved into his path the wreck would have been spectacular! The new cars go so fast, so easily, I guess that is part of the problem. Last night we stopped off for a burger and a guy was beating his fist on his steering wheel, and cussing up a storm in a GIANT Dodge 350 truck because he couldn't get it to fit in a parking space he wanted it to. If he would have simply drove another fifty feet, there was an end of the row space he could have used no problem. I don't know, but it seems like people really are getting crazier.

5. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's not just the US. It happens all the time in Edmonton as well.

Northern Tele likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I think that sometimes it's just better to let people be the fools they were born to be. Challenging them can make you look like one of their tribe and it rarely produces the desired outcome.

7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I had a road rage experience about a year ago that stuck in my mind.

I was driving to work my regular route in fairly heavy suburban traffic.

I was doing the speed limit and keeping with the flow of traffic, when out of the blue, a Jeep nearly rear ends me, honking like a mad man.

I moved to the slow lane so they could pass me, and the jeep screams past me, but then slams on their brakes after nearly rear ending someone else.

Since I was still going with the flow of traffic and the jeep had stopped in their lane, I ended up passing them.

This apparently infuriated the jeep driver who then stomped on the gas, and accelerated over to my right, partly riding up on the curb.

I had to break hard to avoid colliding with the jeep, and it was lucky the driver behind me was paying attention.

I waited for the jeep to get ahead a bit before starting up again, but I was wondering if they were drunk or possibly even having some kind of medical episode that was causing the erratic driving.

A half mile or so later, there was an intersection where I had to turn, but I noticed the jeep sitting in the center lane waiting for the light to change.

I slowly and tentatively pulled into the turn lane, and as I pulled up along side the jeep, I could see the driver of the jeep was a little old lady wearing an oxygen mask.

She was maybe 4 feet tall, and her legs seemed barely long enough to touch the pedals.

I rolled down my window to ask her if she was OK, but then I realized she was simultaneously smoking a cigarette while using the oxygen mask...

Think shades of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet meets the banjo boy from Deliverance.

"Are you okay ma'am?", had barely left my lips when she began howling like a demon possessed with stream of expletives that would make a sailor blush.

To this day, the memory still haunts me. She reminded me of the girl in the Exorcist, Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet, and the Deliverance banjo kid all at the same time.

There really are people out there looking for an excuse to kill someone. It's nothing personal. There are more of them than you'd expect... And they are probably not who you expect them to be.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

As a bit of contrast...as a cycle commuter, I stick to the bike lanes. I don't trust drivers one bit. All the time, I see drivers go through reds and nearly take people out at crossings. Do you know what a close pass or a punishment pass is? Where someone passes you a gnat's whisker away (illegal) and then pulls right in front of you with minimal to no clearance. Not to mention the widespread use if phones at the wheel. I see it all the time.

Over the last ten years - as cuts to police services bite and traffic enforcement drops to near-zero - driving standards have dropped significantly.

I don't deny that there are idiot pedestrians and cyclists, but an idiot in a car is a lot more dangerous.

Obviously, there are scenarios where cars are essential - moreso in the US, I imagine - but so many public health issues - obesity, air quality, greenhouse gas emissions - would be improved by a widespread shift to bikes (and electric bikes for the less able).

9. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Idiot drivers are more dangerous to other pedestrians and cyclists. Idiot pedestrians and cyclists are more dangerous to themsleves - they try to force their way by threatening suicide which is a level of lunacy that would require hospitalization and treatment in any other circumstance other than traffic. Why this is not done is a mistery to me. As a pedestrian, I've had more close calls with cyclists than with cars.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Guess it differs from place to place, but deaths and serious injury due to collision with motor vehicles far exceed those due to collision with cyclists.

11. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

JL_LI likes this.
  12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I think the big picture here might be the lack of civility in modern society. People used to live and let live. People used to let things go. To become violent over a perceived insult is barbaric.

Frodebro, JayFreddy, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how your method of travel makes a difference. If the bike riders are doing that where it's legal you have to respect it. If not I still work at the ways to avoid conflict and trouble. It took getting some age for me to gain that ability.

Sev112 and JL_LI like this.
  14. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

If there were cops nearby that witnessed the whole incident, when he broke my window I would've got out of the car and whipped his sorry behind and told his girlfriend that if I had it to do over I would've just ran your worthless behind over.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Are there multiple coffee purveyors near all the preferred jay walking routes?
    Most rage comes from excessive consumption of 'tall' coffees. Those ubiquitous white and green cups with the mermaid, you know the one. Sometimes it's a coffee with an extra shot on top. Diet Coke has twice the caffeine as sugared Coke, about the same as Mountain Dew. Some people mix smokes and chew with their constant coffee indulgences and it adds up to a rage-filled cocktail. They even take added multi-hour energy shots or canned energy drinks.

A guy I work with had such severe rage he went to his doctor who put him on anti-depressants and some other medication. Eventually this guy quit the coffee, tobacco, and pop cycle and then got off all the meds that were a huge expense for him.

People get out of their mind.

Police need to enforce jay walking in that town though.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  16. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

And then you have yo-yos that walk behind your car as you’re backing out of a parking space. My mama taught me not to walk in front or in back of a moving vehicle.

17. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

But not for cyclists, in relative terms. I would be amazed to find more cyclists surviving collision with cars than car drivers surviving colliosions with bicycles, as a % of incidents.

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've never heard of Aggressive walkers before. Are they just angry old people that can't drive anymore ?

19. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

No, they are of every age and description. It is a phenomenon that has been building here for years. I think it's kind of a power trip to step in front of a moving car and force them to stop. It is a behavioral thing. I see people walking towards my car as I am driving down the street as if to somehow challenge me. Trust me, every driver in this city must put up with this. The cops know it, but will do nothing about it. Yes, we do have pedestrians hit and even killed downtown. Not only that, drivers rarely stop if they hit someone.

I moved here 11 years ago and a guy told me, "The first thing you'll learn here is to hate pedestrians." They actually think that they always have the right of way. The smug sense of entitlement is palpable.

20. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I agree. Apologies - my poor sentence construction. I meant in reference to problems caused for pedestrians

We have shared bike/pedestrian paths here. Astonishingly, many pedestrians walk along these with headphones on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.