Crossing the Road Rage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

We've all heard of road rage. People sometimes get killed over it. I have a tale of crossing the road rage. Here in Charleston, SC we have what I call "aggressive walkers". Their intention is to step in front of moving vehicles as they are jaywalking and demand that they stop for them. This happens all the time and it is dangerous in many ways. When ego is involved people will risk their very lives to demand attention.

I am coming down King St. towards Calhoun a major intersection at the peak of traffic on Saturday. These people walk in front of my car as they always do. Everything is fine until this woman decides she is gong to back track and step in front of my moving car. I was going to honk the horn, but it's quicker just to flip her off.

This guy comes running up to my car, old guy too. I roll my window down a bit and he says,"You flipped my girlfriend the bird." I think any driver who deals with this all the time does the same thing. We are sick of people scaring us by standing in front of our moving car and jaywalking. As I roll my window up, he punches my driver's side window and shatters it. That punch was intended for me. I jump out and there are cops nearby as witnesses. Thank goodness for that. Here is the kicker, besides being an old man trying to be a tough guy, he wants to press charges against me. The cops are in disbelief. His idiot girlfriend says she wanted me to stop. Why? They had already crossed my path but she steps back into my path. For no reason other than ego.

So now I am to appear in court to press charges. I will also have to go to civil court for damages. I say this as a cautionary tale. This woman could have been a hood ornament. I suppose honking the horn or yelling would have resulted in the same aggression. The cops tried to explain to this moron that I could have shot him once he put his hands inside my car. Do you think that even phased him?

Thanks. for reading my story. I tried my best to give the abridged version. Since it is a Holiday Weekend, it will not get fixed until Tuesday. Oh, by the way, he was not arrested.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Georox, bcorig, verb boten and 6 others like this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck resolving that.

This happens in my area because it's major university, government, and health care center plus tourist destination. I just work at being chill and try to avoid conflict. I don't care if slowing down a bit angers a fool behind me. The overall avoid conflict or problems works better.

verb boten likes this.
  3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

People come up with the stupidest ways to say "hey everyone, look how cool I am." All you need is a distracted driver and you get to be somebody's hood ornament. Brilliant...

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

His hand was bleeding and not one cop asked if he was OK. LOL He probably broke it. I'll see him court, as they say.

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man, DanR, I hate to read this. I hate it for selfish reasons because I know that idiot trends travel. I was po'd because people around here like to walk up the middle of the street instead of using the sidewalks. I didn't know at first it was a national thing. actually, around here, I have noticed that it has slacked off from what it was 5-6 years ago. but now we'll have another fashionable lunacy to watch for.

good luck in court, I hope both of 'em get 90 days.

birddog01 and Dan R like this.
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I drive in the Boston area, and aggressive jay-walking is very common.
    As with drivers of other cars, there are three rules:
    1. Never make eye contact
    2. Never roll your window down
    3. Never get out of your car

People die from not following these rules.

Hop2it, imwjl, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry to read this.
    As described, it sounds like the peds are idiots who might have ended up as hood ornaments and coroner exhibits (here's what a close-range ballistic receiver looks like).

My anger mgmt class - long time ago - don't even try to imagine why - was a good thing for my driving.
    There's stuff going on w/ other drivers & peds that we just can't know about in advance.

It simplifies my life to not try finding out.
    And, somebody can't 'cut me off' if I 'let them in'.
    Peace - Deeve

Ricky D. and cat dude like this.
  8. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

If that crazy lady had not turned back to intentionally step in front of my car, everyone would have been on their way with no problem. I had let them cross the street with no complaints. Just won't to clarify that issue.

Even the cops were shocked that this guy was walking in front of moving cars, as he approached them and they said so. I guess walking into moving traffic is the new entitlement.

The people at the Francis Marion Hotel were great to me. I really appreciate the understanding by them and the police.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

To me it sounds like the idiots behave that way in able to suffer a minor injury in order to sue the crap out of you for a million bucks after???

Here in OZ the drivers go so fast usually that the streets would be littered with corpus pedestri.

If you look behind the scenes you will find a whole raft of parasitic Pedestrian Accident related lawyers whose business it is to sue the cr@p out of unsuspecting drivers caught in the scam??????????????????

DC

Hop2it and nojazzhere like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I, too, have seen behavior similar to this, but all too often it's by cyclists.....I don't bike as much as I used to, but when I did, I recognized that the protection my 28" bicycle afforded me against a two ton automobile (or whatever they weigh) was nil to none...... Nowadays, though, the cyclists like to veer out into traffic, just daring drivers to hit them. They also ride in packs, four to six abreast, blocking multiple lanes at twelve miles per hour for long distances. They completely disregard stop signs and "right-of-ways", and just "ooze" their arrogance of superiority. Simply another example of how far we've tumbled down the rabbit hole.......

Tony474, Hop2it, El Tele Lobo and 5 others like this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There's a street on my morning commute that some have compared to the game Frogger. There's a low income neighborhood on one side, and a row of convenience stores, liquor stores, barber shops, pawn shops and payday lending sites on the other. There's a nearly constant stream of jaywalkers. They don't strike me as aggressive, I've never witnessed what appeared to me to be a deliberate standoff with a car, but they are careless.

None of the intersections with traffic signals have pedestrian crossing lights, although there are zebra stripes which are routinely ignored.

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Good lord.

When people tell me not to believe everything I read about American violence, I just think of all the warnings and scary tales I've read on this forum.

Tony474, BigDaddyLH and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Life is just too short to have any type of hate...besides that it takes too much energy.

14. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah here in central London, there’s nothing like the view from the front top seat of a double-decker as a mom pushes her baby stroller in front of your bus against the light.

Tony474, LutherBurger and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

If this old guy has such a hair trigger temper, I am surprised he's managed to live this long.

The cop in charge said, "Sir, you don't seem to understand, you are at fault here. You have no grounds to press any charges."

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  16. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member

What about bicycle riders 4 wide side by side ha.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

And I didn't even get into aggressive bicycle riding........................

nojazzhere and kelnet like this.
  18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

shades of ratso..I'm walking here, OK!!!!..:lol:

nvilletele and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Modern version: I run down the street and break your window while trying to punch you.

trev333 likes this.
  20. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On brighter side of things, I don't how old the "old" guy was but if you've ever tried to bust a window in a car with just your fist then you know it was good thing he didn't connect with your face...:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.