Crossing continents - Moving from the UK to BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wooly Fox, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox Tele-Meister

Thought I would start a thread on move from one side of the pond to Vancouver, BC. Finally get my visa renewed and will likely be there in 2022 border restrictions permitting.

Firstly how does one get their guitars moved safely from one continent to another?

Got relocation movers lined up to ship most of my stuff (amps, cabinets, house stuff, things I don't need straightaway etc.) but should I send all my guitars this way or take one with me on the plane?

Never traveled with instruments on planes, do you put it in the hold or book a second seat for it? Thinking of taking my CS 336 as I could be 3-6 months without a guitar...

Secondly I really want to play live again but as a hobby/jam type of thing. As a new person in a new city, how can I find out where to play jam nights and such? Old school music shop notices (is that still a thing) or is all on Faceache? I really just want to play music with others to enjoy and hopefully improve my playing.

Will add more questions in time, looking forward to the discussion if there is any.

matrix, Cyberi4n, drewg and 5 others like this.
  2. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I moved from UK to Spain and although not such a distance I will tell you how I moved them.
    Every guitar went into a hardcase then where possible that was wrapped in other packaging. I loosened all strings.
    All the amps were packed heavily in boxes, Tubes removed and marked up as per position in amp.
    I then bit the bullet and paid quite a heavy insurance fee for their transportation.
    All arrived safe and sound, worse part was watching someone drive off with my whole gear collection! LoL

Greggorios, nojazzhere and swervinbob like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Can’t help you on the move stuff, I just moved one state (about 200 miles, not sure equivalent kilometers) over at the most.

I’m guessing they have Craigslist for British Columbia. It can be hit and miss, but over the years I’ve assembled a couple bands completely from Craigslist, and have had some good luck overall that way. I believe BC has a pretty decent music scene, so you should be able to find some musicians.

drewg likes this.
  4. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

I would personally move them with the movers. Many times you can stash a guitar in a gigbag in the overhead compartment, or business class, but there is risk, it will be checked in at the gate and you will see it in the oversized baggage collection point. That means it can get dropped, bumped, whatever. I'd believe movers would take more care into moving them in well secured boxes.

gimmeatele likes this.
  5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My daughter moved from the UK to Vancouver last year. She and her partner took as little as possible, a couple of suitcases each. Likewise my eldest daughter moved to Spain in 2015, they only took what would fit in their small campervan, selling most of their possessions before making the move. What do you really need to take? Most guitar gear is significantly cheaper in Canada/USA. What will it cost to transport? Will it be safe in transit? Will your 240v equipment run on 110v? Will you be in Canada forever? or is it likely to be just a few years?

drewg, telestratosonic and gimmeatele like this.
  6. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox Tele-Meister

Thanks all for the replies so far.

1) It's a permanent move, been planning it since 2014, didn't work out in 2016 due to the poor job situation in Canada at the time. This time I'm going with a job so it'll be a lot easier. Transport fees are what you expect with the current lack of containers and issues at ports. It's factored into my moving costs (I think my company may even reimburse some of the costs as a goodwill gesture). Not transporting furniture etc, only stuff that I cannot take on the plane and cannot courier without paying huge customs charges (did that last time, never again!)

2) I have a Quilter Tone Block 202 which is 110V-240V and a custom made tube amp specially designed to work at woth 110V and 230V. Only tube amp I will ever own so wanted it to be specific to what I need. The cabinet matches the Quilter output (200W Celestion bass speaker as used in the Quilter cabs).

I have been waiting to move for over 18 months now and I can feel it's finally going to happen!

Another question, as the guitars will be in transit for quite a long time, would it be worth getting them setup by a guitar tech when they land?

One thing I really worried about is my set-neck Gibson coming apart due to the climate and temperature changes (I have the guitars and amps insured).

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!
    I lived in BC from 1994 to 2003.
    It’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.
    I lived in northern BC, Prince George and Quesnel.
    I love the lower mainland, and Vancouver Island.
    Check out Victoria and Nanaimo on the island when you get settled.

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Sell your stuff in the uk and get new stuff over there. Bye bye old sh.t….

telestratosonic and gimmeatele like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Canadian content...

10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly what i was thinking. But i have never sold any gear, so i would probably in the same situation as the OP.

11. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox Tele-Meister

I don't want to sell my gear! It's too nice!

Driver3, johnny k and Telekarster like this.
  12. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man.... that's a tough one. I've often wondered how the heck I would do this, if I moved from one country to another etc. I think maybe I'd invest in flight cases for everything and put them in with luggage perhaps? I don't know if there's a limit on that or not. It gets awful cold up there at 35K feet, but then again I suppose they'd have to fly no matter what you do right? Have you looked into this sort of idea by chance?

13. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox Tele-Meister

Thought about flight cases and the relocation movers said not necessary as all my stuff would be put in wooden crates or double walled boxes. I'll likely wrap the necks, headstock and fill my semi hollow with bubble wrap!

Telekarster likes this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It sounds like your stuff will cross the Atlantic by ship. So no 35,000 feet. I would keep one or two guitars and leave everything else to the movers. Sounds like they have a plan for packing it well. I lived in Seattle and visited Vancouver. It’s a nice place you will enjoy it.

drewg likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

Curious, how long will it take for shipped crates to arrive? I assume the time unit will be in months.

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

You picked a beautiful place to move to. Don't know about the shipping process, but Victoria is a nice city. Good luck!

drewg and idjster like this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Double check the insurance coverage on the shipment, let out a nice calming breath, and think happy thoughts.

Oh, and welcome. As for finding people to jam with, that shouldn’t be hard. Musicians of all types are thick on the ground in Vancouver, and a lot of them are members here. Heck, on a clear day, I can see Vancouver from my place!

Telekarster likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The toilets circle the same way when they’re flushed. So you should be fine. BC is wonderful.

Obsessed and idjster like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You might take the 336 or an other expensive one on the plane. The stewardess will usually put it in the coat closet. That's pretty much standard over here now days after they got a lot of bad press destroying guitars.

If you can pack the others with your other gear, you may consider sealing the cases with that wrap around clear plastic wrap they sell. That will seal out moisture etc. But the shipping hold of a plane may be very cold. I suppose if wrapped and in a big container etc, the stuff inside wont get too cold on the plane ride....wont sink in? not sure.

Or are these shipping crates going by sea? If so, definitely wrap as much as you can with plastic wrap.
    You're gonna love BC.

Telekarster likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

Don't nobody move there. It's ugly.

[​IMG]

PhredE, rod, drewg and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.