Cropper on Neck only? Mable John's "Don't Get Caught"

middy

Friend of Leo's
Was his middle position parallel? A lot of old telecasters have middle position as neck pickup only.

buddyboy

Tele-Meister
It's in the middle position, the position that activates the neck pickup without the mud cap on pre-1967 Telecasters. SC mentioned in a number of past interviews that he often used the middle position on his Tele's. Correct, on his '63 Tele's, which he used for the early part of his career, that would equate to using his neck pickup alone. On his later Tele's (transition logos on a few) that would typically mean the classic "both pickups on". Listen to his tone on the "Melting Pot" LP from about 1971. He is using later Tele's and he gets the classic both pickups sound.

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Neat idea. I just took a fast trip through Stax/Volt vol 1, 2,and 3, looking for songs that sounded "both mixed" rather than Neck or Bridge.

Here is my candidate, "Gee Whiz, It's Christmas," by Carla Thomas. It's on Vol 3 (of 9) so about 1963.

Now wouldn't a guy who lived in a recording studio know about jamming the switch?

effzee

Tele-Holic
I love the middle position sound, it's happy and bouncy. It's like the bridge snarls, the neck cries and middle laughs. Perfect balance of emotions in the form guitar electronics.

buddyboy

Tele-Meister
Neat idea. I just took a fast trip through Stax/Volt vol 1, 2,and 3, looking for songs that sounded "both mixed" rather than Neck or Bridge.

Here is my candidate, "Gee Whiz, It's Christmas," by Carla Thomas. It's on Vol 3 (of 9) so about 1963.

Now wouldn't a guy who lived in a recording studio know about jamming the switch?

I'm hearing bridge pickup on this tune, but who knows?