CRL 3-Way Switches and Stock Tele Wiring

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thought I'd pass on something that took me a while to figure out, and a couple of errors, for any first time Challengers or other builders who are wiring the CRL 3-way switch that StewMac and others sell.

The wiring diagram StewMac has (and is used by others, also) is correct and works well, except for one little detail:

2000_2.gif

That detail is the switch solder lug configuration. The diagram makes it look like the lugs on the opposite sides of the switch are offset from one another, which they are, but on the diagram it's shown "backwards". This confused me, so once I figured it out, I made the little picture/diagram below, which I hope may save someone a little last minute panic as they're soldering in the electronic components. In the photo, I'm holding the switch in the same orientation as in the diagram, although as the instructions tell you, it doesn't matter which side the spring goes on.

Attachments

• CRL Switch Wiring.jpg
    CRL Switch Wiring.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6,358

waparker4

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This is why I like open switches like this kind and always make sure I know which terminals are the common terminals, which is easy to see by looking at the workings of the switch. Nice pic!

Isca

TDPRI Member
6 years later and I just wanted to say thank you, as your pic came up on Google and helped me wire my new CRL switch correctly - my initial attempt had a non-working middle position!

Zedzero77

TDPRI Member
Omg thank you so much, my guitar is back, fully functional now..had to rewire the whole switch but worth it..funny how the instructions are backwards. Thanks again!

PeterUK

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Anyone seen or heard from Rick lately?

It's a seven year old thread and he hasn't been around since last August.

The forum rules clearly state don't revive threads older that 6-months old:

RESURRECTING OLD THREADS:
Over the years we have determined that resurrecting old threads can cause some problems for our membership. So, in general, we ask that you not post on threads that are not currently active on our thread indexes - such as threads more than 6 months to a year old. We think it's best if you simply post in current threads -- or start a new one of your own unless you have something really valuable to add to the older thread. If you resurrect an old thread with a "Me too" or a "joke." we'll probably remove the post as it's not adding any value to the thread.

And here's a good reason.