Cricket vs Baseball

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

goes without saying, ha

2. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

In Cricket... you don't have to run when you hit the ball.... you can block a bowler for hours without scoring many runs... if the game calls for it.... as the bowlers tire and stray off line then you can start working him for more runs... there's no rush when you're there all day....;)

staying in is the key... and accumulating runs as a result.... staying there for days if you're good enough....

it's not about who's good enough over a few hours or an afternoon, it's about who's good enough over 4-5 days of play.... a big chess game...:)

4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate test cricket.

If it wasn't for beer, so would everyone.

A good international One Day match is great.

I don't think the Americans know there are 3 types of cricket as there's only 1 kind of baseball.

5. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

I recon if you chisel a red brick into a sphere of similar size, it would weigh a tad heavier than a cricket ball and hurt just as bad! :lol:

6. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Cricket vs Baseball

I'd be willing to bet that the cricket gets smashed, and killed, by the baseball.

7. trev333

Quite a work of art.. a cricket bat...made from Willow usually... and keeps a lot of people on the sub continent employed....;)

they'd probably be good guitar makers with some training,,, they already have the hand tool skills...:)

8. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Now that's a matter of some debate. :D

9. trev333

"I don't think the Americans know there are 3 types of cricket as there's only 1 kind of baseball."

We better not confuse the issue with #4, eh Nick.... Indoor Cricket,,,, which I played in a few teams during the 80's... and won a few finals....B grade and some fill in A grade games.... :)

isn't Softball a kind of Baseball?... that'd make 2 types...;)

10. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Cricket- The ONLY thing on TV….

Could anyone handle this???- The answer is a resounding YES!

I was beginning a new job a few years back when I first moved up here to Vermont. There was some housing (OK, a room in a house…) available until the wife and house were ready…

The small TV in the living room had no local reception at all, and the only thing available was a Cricket channel the previous occupant had ordered…Seems weird, but that cricket channel was all I could get on the TV.

Well, I dove in, listened, paid attention, and began to appreciate the strategy, skill, and action of cricket. Certainly as boring as baseball, if you get my drift, only games where the object is for the defensive side to hold on to the ball…

Anyways- I agree with NickJD that cricket provides a unifying tie to the Commonwealth countries. Sport bringing people together is ALWAYS a good thing:cool:

I now almost know where a silly-mid off might be found, and to watch out for anyone bowling a googly…I think...:lol:

11. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Cricket actually has quite a history in the USA, it was popular in the 1800s and the first international cricket match was played between the USA and Canada. I believe it was popular in the Philadelphia area.

It is widely understood that they share a common ancestor, both originating in England before being exported to the US. They were played side by side for a while before baseball won out in the US and cricket in England.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So they have head gear and leg protectors?

.also,....all day....hmm..I leave a US baseball game after 7innings..dont think I could do an all-day long sport....sort of like watching golf...good for chair and beer and then nap

13. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

14. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I don't get why so many people think baseball is boring? Seriously, apart from boxing it's about the only sport I can stand to watch on TV. Football is way more boring as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm not much of a sports fan.

15. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I like baseball best out of all US sports (which is a bit like saying I think Groucho is the best looking Marx Brother - it's all relative)

16. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I'm with Sir Humphrey on this - of all the US sports I've seen, Baseball is the only one I can tolerate. I was surprised when watching baseball that it was such an uneven contest between bat and ball. I am a huge cricket fan, but only the five-day game. For me, limited overs cricket lacks the nuances of the proper game, but I completely understand those who find it difficult to fathom.

One criticism often levelled is 'how can you have a draw after playing five days?' But a draw in cricket is a valid and legitimate result, often to be fought hard for. Saving a game is sometimes as important as winning it.

If anyone wants to see test cricket at its best, I strongly recommend watching highlights of the Ashes series of 2005. The best series of test cricket ever played, with two great teams going toe to toe over five epic matches. Suffocatingly tense at times, it shows how incredible test cricket can be.

17. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I know that link is an hour and a half, but seriously, it's so worth a watch.

18. tino7770

tino7770 TDPRI Member

If you take a baseball bat down the pub everyone thinks its gonna go off,however if you take a cricket bat its assumed summers here

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The main difference is the attention span of the fans. Also one seems to be dominated by Jamaicans.

20. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

I'd rather have a Tele in a bar fight, you can hide your face behind it if necessary! I like twenty twenty cricket, it's like cricket for football fans that can't concentrate for days on end!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.