Crestwood Deluxe build

bebopbrain

Tele-Meister
I'd do a cherry Gibson finish myself, but that's me

Heritage cherry is amazing. But my body is maple (for a strong neck joint where there isn't much wood) instead of mahogany.

I was interested in silver fox, until my experiment with stained grain filler ended in a blotchy green mess. Again, wouldn't work over maple.

It will be Fred "Sonic" Smith style.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Heritage cherry is amazing. But my body is maple (for a strong neck joint where there isn't much wood) instead of mahogany.

I was interested in silver fox, until my experiment with stained grain filler ended in a blotchy green mess. Again, wouldn't work over maple.

It will be Fred "Sonic" Smith style.

Cherry on maple is fine, seems to work on lots of ES335s.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I hogged out the control cavity.

View attachment 920461

And routed it out without a template. I only added one gouge (visible in the photo below) that I will patch. Better the guitar than my carotid artery. The Epiphone has a front mounted jack on a plastic pick guard. Just as a personal preference, I did a side stereo jack, Switchcraft 152B, good for active electronics. The old original control cavity will be a big battery box. I finished drilling wiring channels to the switch.

View attachment 920466

Last night I sorted out my neck bolt issues and now there is a nice firm connection. Just had to hacksaw the #8-32 bolts to the proper length, a little different length for each one.

I put the pickups in, held down with carpet tape. Put in the bridge and Bigsby using a Vibratemate. The Vibramate will probably go away. I used EZ hooks to connect the bridge pickup to the jack.

I strung it up with low action (to better check intonation) using Ernie Ball super slinky 9's. And, after playing around with it, it does intonate perfectly. I had to flip one of the rollers. I might buy longer set screws, as the ones that came with the bridge run out of travel. But it works great as is.

View attachment 920467

It is fun to play. I was worried about the big frets, but with a light touch they are fine. I have never used a whammy bar, but I am warming up to the Bigsby.

I still need to route the control cavity lips, clean up my mistakes, and do a final sanding. I expect to send it out to be finished, probably to mjtagedfinishes.com unless anybody has other recommendations.

View attachment 920469

nice work buddy.

widefault

Tele-Meister
As a guy with a few Wilshires/Coronets/Olympics, very nice
yMCRetw.jpg

Behind the SGs, I really need to do a proper group photo.