CREED

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by superjam144, Jun 6, 2021.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Their 2009 release went right over my head. Discovering it years after release, I was blown away by the quality of the guitar work, singing, and maturity. The entire album is good. A rarity for sure. Long Live and God bless Creed, a great band when music still rocked!

2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

If you like the guitar work check out the bands Tremonti & Alter Bridge. Mark Tremonti (Creed’s guitar player) at his best.

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I noticed a trend with this band that I found amusing:

2006/2007- most people hate creed, but those same people love nickelback. I got a lot of crap for pointing out they were pretty much the same thing when rubber hits the road.

2014- those same losers now hate nickelback. Partly because... They are pretty much the same thing as Creed.

2019- Creed’s reputation seems to be rehabbing, and I notice people admitting they really weren’t so bad all along. Meanwhile, nickelback are still hated.

davidchagrin, StevesBoogie and ponce like this.
  4. Bakeacake08

Bakeacake08 Tele-Meister

I noticed a few years ago that Nickleback was coming to the state fair (held in my town). I thought, “That’s interesting...”

The fact that they’re touring means that a bunch of people are still buying tickets to their shows, which leads me to believe that people maybe don’t actually hate Nickleback as much as they pretend to.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

superjam144 likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’ll admit, I liked Creed around 1999-2000 or so. I owned Human Clay. I think they were the band that introduced me to palm muting on the guitar.

Almost went to a concert of theirs back then but transportation fell through. Oh, the life of a 14 year old.

emisilly and davidchagrin like this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

CREED actually got me to start listening to music again when they first came out. I was so bored with classic rock and just about everything else at the time. My daughter actually turned me on to them and I still like that first album a lot. Just listened to it the other day.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

when the casual listener is told X is bad and you should hate them...they do...youre saying the reverse is happening with creed...i guess the casual listener abides again

9. superjam144

Never understood the hatred for creed. Must be confused with that other baritone vedder.

Nickelback was always a bit of a novelty but decent enough. The quality of tremonti and stapp n crew is overlooked.

10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Creed is hated most likely because their music is very generic and bland, but poses as soulful and grungy.

The post above, comparing Stapp to Vedder is case in point.

Nickelback is next level bad, imo. At least the have fun with that reputation though. Kruger once explained how they got their name. Essentially, he was in a store and the cashier said "here's your nickel back." About as profound as their song writing.

Saw Nickelback live about 5 years ago. Good seats were only $25 so I figured why not?

They sounded thin (didn't help that cheap trick opened for them... Whoops!). Worst of all, he talked between every song. Every song, blah blah. I saw Paul McCartney rattle off a dozen straight number ones without any interruptions. Yet this d bag thinks we wanna hear him talk? Lol, at least cheap trick was good!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 6:07 PM
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

The Creed I remember hearing on the radio back then wasn’t 100% up my alley, stylistically, but I remember thinking they had it going on, production- and mix-wise. They seemed to have good ears. They deserve credit for that.

Frodebro likes this.
  12. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I want to thank the OP for this post, I had forgotten how good Creed's stuff is. Mark Tremonti is simply amazing.

True story .... I splurged for XM Radio for my daily work commute around 2010. I was hunting for stations at a red light and found something that was of the 'alternative' type. A song came on that I absolutely instantly fell in love with. I thought it was because I was in love with my new XM Radio. But it was truly because I loved the song. "Rise Today" by Alter Bridge, of course of Mark Tremonti fame.

superjam144 likes this.
  13. superjam144

The guitar work is first class! I am always amazed at his picking patterns. Stapp is a standout songwriter. Who writes from the heart. He really lived these songs and was hospitalized for mental anguish more than once. His voice and natural singing talent are surreal.

Musically speaking I would venture to say that creed will stand the test of time. And perhaps we are seeing it unfold.

Will be checking out alter bridge and tremonti. I just love stapp so much.

Bands like this just don't exist anymore. Daughtry was the last talent I saw in the mainstream. That guy can sing!

StevesBoogie likes this.
  14. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The complaints I remember were from my “hard rock” co-workers in the late ‘90’s, then early 2000’s. They all dug Creed’s first album, then claimed they turned soft after that.

One of the first riffs I learned in ‘98 when I first picked up the guitar was the verse/intro to “What’s This Life For?”. I still play it sometimes when I first pick up an electric. My main complaint I recall was that Tremonti used too many alternate tunings. Not sure if that is still the case.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Tremonti is a monster player, but Creed is not my bag. They clearly did something right though.

16. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

I'd not listened to them at all, but just listened to those two tracks. It's competent rock to a basic formula, but with none of the songwriting, nuance, complexity or general interest that Vedder, Gossard, McCready et. al. bring to the table. It's a hard pass from me. Each to their own.

Harbinger77 likes this.
  17. superjam144

Hehehe I can't say that I like pearl jam anymore. Probably the radio station's fault. Although I respect their talent. Same with nickelback. Perhaps I find it a shame that creed can't be mentioned without those 2 bands coming into discussion. But taste is taste. And the radio probably did it's best to ruin creed as well.

Baritone lead singers with great bands are truly rare. Never did get into metal though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 9:53 PM
  18. superjam144

The first album was real stuff. It's hard to imagine when bands got big the hard way. Needing that debut to shine to break through the record company BS.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You have evidence people are into Nickelback?

20. superjam144

Lol I had one album which was good. But nothing incredible or groundbreaking. They were feel good and very cookie cutter. All talented enough to sell millions I suppose.

Killing Floor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.