Creative Wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Robboster, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Robboster

Robboster NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone! First post so my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

So I have a tele which currently has 2 P90s in it, I haven't wired it up yet but I found a regular strat 5 way switch and a DPDT push pull 500k tone (linear) pot in my parts drawer and was wondering if anyone here has tried (or wants to try) anything creative with it? I've read about the Bill Lawrence 5 way tele, but was thinking that the DPDT switch will allow for something more crazy.

On a related note - does anyone know how one can achieve a series + out of phase or half out of phase wiring with these parts?

Thanks in advance!

2. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If the P-90s are Gibson or done like Gibson’s, you will have to go back to the pickup and separate that ground from the end of the winding that attaches to it. The ground will go to ground wile the two ends of the windings will go to the switch. If you did not want to change the selector switch from the 3-way, you could use the push/pull to do the phase shift.

garrett likes this.
  4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I have p90s in 2 Teles, and one w Duncan Quarter Pounders.

the set up in two of them is a 4 way blade w bridge, both in parallel, both in series, then neck. With a push pull out-of-phase on the tone knob. I also have fiddled w a couple different treble bleed options.

I like it a lot. The oop option on the Series selection is killer.

I should mention I ordered my p90s w 2 conductor wires, not the standard braid that all seem to come stock with.

5. Robboster

Robboster NEW MEMBER!

That is siccc mate, exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks a million!

Mmm the thing about 4 way switches is that they cost quite a bit and for that moolah I might as well go full on super 5 way.

Ok but yeah the series and OOP tone is what I was looking to achieve! Have you ever compared it to HOOP? I'm deliberating on whether I should use a cap to make it HOOP or go full on OOP lol

6. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

You're welcome. Playing with wiring schemes is fun.

HOOP is closer to the sound of a Strat 2 or 4 position. I've had some fun with it in the past, but the sound is a bit undefined to my ears. It sounded good with Tele pickups, but not so much with humbuckers, so I'm not sure putting that in series would sound good. I can however tell you P-90's in series out of phase is a winner.

Worth trying the cap anyway, since you feel like experimenting. Super easy to swap between a wire and a cap.

Very good point made by the other guys about the leads. For either series or electrical out of phase wiring, your pickups need to be two-conductor.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

In my experience and for my ear, OOP works with cathode biased output amps better than with fixed biased. In a fixed bias amp, one has to be able to run some gain to avoid the OOP being simply TOO thin. Fwiw, I have been dealing with OOP since 1967 with my Es-345TDC....even though technically I did not understand that the middle option in the three way toggle yielded OOP, I knew that it was a thinner sound...and then those Gibsons have the filtering options with the Varitone....’1’ is THIN....scant, weak....however you want to describe it. You can make the neck pickup sound like an OOP pair of small single coils. Those Varitone Gibson’s can get some extremely thinned sounds.
    Good luck with it...I like me some gutbucket OOP things.

8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I have not tried hoop'n it. I think my desire to have the oop-tion (that's me being clever) is that my brother built me a parts Tele w a humbucker neck w a coil split mini switch and oop mini switch. Great fun, and it also reminds me of my 67 Mustang from Jr High, which never stayed in tune but had such a great tone. I guess I really like that cocked wah sound available without having to move off the couch and step on my wah.

a 5 way w the same options i have now has also crossed my mind, but I think I'm going to build another Tele w 2 HB's and I'll have to start thinking about that.

Even w a 3 way blade, having the oop pull pot is pretty easy to wire, easy to use. especially if you reverse the control plate like i've done on all my Tele's. I think Mojotone might still have some old style Bournes which are way easier to deal with than the cts push pull, to me at least. And theyre cheaper.

9. sluglas

sluglas TDPRI Member

I had a Squier Custom II with p90's and a 3-way toggle switch, the pups were noisy so I put a Dimarzio humbucking p90 in the neck and a Dimarzio P90 super distortion humbucker in the bridge ,
    I used a push/pull volume pot to split the coils. I added a 4 pole 2way mini switch to put the 2 pups out of phase with each other.
    The cool thing was that it was wired so when the out of phase switch was on it put both pups on and out of phase with each other regardless of what position the pickup selector switch was in.
    It worked in both humbucker and single modes too.
    Sounded great and the tones were very usable but I never liked the neck and feel of the guitar .Some tele's are very stiff to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.